Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Richmond Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/10/2008, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

I've got a GDM that I bought from another reefer. She said he might have eaten a Neon goby, but wasnt sure.

I've had him almost a year with no issues, until recently. I didnt see him do it, but I'm pretty sure he ate the smaller of my two White Bonnet Clownfish, (A.leucokranos). As its missing now, and I havent found a body anywhere...

Nick
Old 01/10/2008, 11:06 AM
Parrot head

The pigs at the buffet always go for the beluga caviar...don't they?

Last edited by mrcrab; 01/10/2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:00 PM
Mother won't be happy

Yeah...that and the Dom Perignon
Old 01/11/2008, 10:49 AM
Team RC Member

Would you mind describing your Fluke Tab dip? If I recall, you were pretty active in the AEFW thread, but maybe at that time you had a different avatar? I still have Fluke Tabs leftover from my AEFW treatment, and I wanted to have a dip for all new corals as well. Thanks!
Old 01/11/2008, 12:03 PM
Mother won't be happy

Sure...I believe it was 4 Fluke Tabs for 5gal of water for 20min. This is what worked for me and I had zero loss with this treatment.
Old 01/11/2008, 01:25 PM
Mother won't be happy

Quote:
Originally posted by Neptune777
Pressure…Pressure…

Ok, no new pictures but I do have something new for you to chew on. I have decided that I will completely automate my water changes and have the display water feed a QT tank without having the potentially contaminated water go back into the main tank. The water changes will be done continuously at about 1% daily. This will accomplish several things that I think are important:
• Achieve great stability while exporting unwanted by-products from the system. It has been shown that 1% daily water changes are just about as effective as 30% once a month. My guess would be that under normal operating the 1% changes are better because they will prevent the depletion of trace elements that ordinarily get replenished at the monthly water change (thus avoiding any big swings). I got the idea from a Reef Chemistry article here: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/index.php
• It will allow me to use the 30g as a coral QT without an extra Ca reactor, and the seasoned main tank water will keep the smaller cube more stable. This will be the case because it will be fed with main tank water at a rate of about 2.2 gallons each day. For the cube this will be a 7% water change over daily.
• Allow me more time to sit on my can in front of the Reef and soak in the eye candy.

How will this get accomplished you ask without screwing up the salinity levels in the main reef? Why the answer is fairly simply my friend! I will be using a high quality Reef Filler dual pump (http://www.championlighting.com/prod...cat=386&page=1
) that will draw water from the mixed salt and the display at the same drip rate…just like you do dosing Parts A/B . The water that is drawn from the reef will feed the 30g Cube and the overflow in the Cube will go directly into the sewer. The system will be closely monitored and I am going to get an automatic salinity monitor with an alarm system to let me know if things have drifted too far.
Crazy? Might be…but I like pushing things to the edge

Here is a schematic to show what I mean:

I put my order in today for the Reef Filler 2000 6.5gpd unit. I will post some pics of the setup when it arrives....the plan for now is to get my 30g Cube plumbed into the sewer drain tomorrow (should only take 5min).
Old 01/11/2008, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Neptune777
...(should only take 5min).
Famous last words
Old 01/11/2008, 01:33 PM
Mother won't be happy