Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/12/2007, 01:29 PM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

Still under construction

Behind the scenes

luckyarbuc and skimmer

Checking out the plumbing

Part of the back of the tank. The water flows along a trough and down through the sump/flow filled with live rock in the bottom. Very cool!

The frag and quarantine tanks in place in the back

Barrett and the crew ready to call it a day

Old 11/12/2007, 01:35 PM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

I couldn't get any pictures of the finished project because the tank was too stirred up by the end.

We'll try to get back there this week and get pictures up of the tank after it has cleared.
Old 11/12/2007, 02:36 PM
Moved out

That totally kicks ***!! Way to go! The kids will LOVE it.
Old 11/12/2007, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

Hello. A person I work with will be visiting St. Jude's in early December. I would like her to go visit the tank and take a look at it. I called St. Jude and asked them where the aquarium was but the woman who answered the phone thought it was a strange question (seriously) and said she wouldn't tell me for the "safety of the kids." Can anyone tell me where this tank is located in the hospital?

P.S. If you happen to see my friend looking at the tank, you will know it's her because she calls a protein skimmer a "demuckifier"!
Old 11/12/2007, 05:08 PM
WTMRAC President/Thug

It is located on the 1st floor of the Chili's Care Center. The tour groups will be adding it to the tour when the building officially opens.
Old 11/13/2007, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

any more pics
Old 11/14/2007, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

THANKS FOR SHARING AND CARING.
Old 11/14/2007, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

THANKS FOR SHARING AND CARING.
Old 11/14/2007, 04:49 PM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

Quote:
Originally posted by blind1993
any more pics
I got some more pictures of the tank yesterday. I just need to get them uploaded and get the okay from Barrett and the hospital and I'll get them posted.

The tank looks AWESOME!
Old 11/14/2007, 05:15 PM
WTMRAC President/Thug

Concluded the first round of tours today. Thumbs-up all around from everyone who came to see it! Most common question; "Everything is alive in there? Really?! Nothing is fake?" then a subdued and awe struck "wow."
The best testiment yet though was a pair of toddlers running up to it and pointing at all the fish.
Old 11/14/2007, 05:29 PM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

Cool! Wish I could have seen that!

Yesterday, a bunch of the construction supervisors were there coordinating the clean up. What made me laugh was how so many of them asked, "Are there any fish in there that will eat any of the others?"

They were worried about fish aggression and none of them even considered the possibility of coral aggression and were amazed to learn that those are all "liittle animals" in there.

Big, beautiful tanks like this are SUCH a wonderful opportunity to educate people about the ocean and the reefs.

Barrett and Scott, you two have done an absolutely FANTASTIC job putting this together!
Old 11/15/2007, 01:57 PM
Moved On

great job a blessing will be brought onto you thanks for the pics
Old 11/15/2007, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

Very impressive crpeck
Old 11/15/2007, 02:38 PM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

Quote:
Originally posted by AussieSurfGirl
Very impressive crpeck
If you mean the pictures, Thanks!

If you mean the tank, I can take no credit at all ... just fortunate to tag along and be there to catch some pics of the action at the end.
Old 11/16/2007, 11:05 AM
WTMRAC President/Thug

Tune in to NBC’s Today show next week as they profile St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Patient success stories resulting from the extraordinary science and medicine at St. Jude will be featured in two segments each day (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, November 19, 20, 21 and 23). The first segment will air between 7 and 8 a.m., and live patient and family interviews will take place between 9 and 10 a.m. Marlo Thomas, national outreach director, will be live on the program Friday, November 23. And Today show co-host Meredith Vieira, who spent yesterday afternoon at St. Jude, will discuss her experience all week on the program. Be sure and encourage your friends and family to tune into Today for these exciting segments.
Old 11/16/2007, 11:54 AM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

Okay ... here's another round of pictures. These were all taken Tuesday, the day before the opening of the building.

This first picture is the progress on the lobby. You can still see the last minute construction going on in the background.

You can see what a focal point this tank will be for the lobby!

Here is the proud Papa, Scott, in town to work on the last minute fixes to the surge system and plumbing.

Here's a full tank shot. I'm having some white balance trouble on these tank shots so they look a little dark. But it's better than all blue .... those lights are REALLY intense and mess with my camera.

Old 11/16/2007, 11:59 AM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

This is looking into the tank from the left side

A close up of the center.

Pan to the right:

Pan to the left

Old 11/16/2007, 12:10 PM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

A few close ups:

Here is the self-appointed supervisor of the tank. This Scott's Fairy Wrasse stayed out and watched Keaton place rock and coral when all the other fish were hiding. If you look back at some of the pics of Keaton working, you can see him nearby. Maybe this was Scott shapshifting as a Scott's Wrasse to watch and make sure we put things together right.

He's always out front and center

Old 11/16/2007, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

wow...turned out beautiful, congrats
Old 11/16/2007, 12:19 PM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

The anthias is hiding behind the finger leather

Caught him!

Mystery Wrasse hoping that stressed coral recovers

Christmas Tree Wrasse by the Galaxia.

Close up of Christmas Tree Wrasse

Old 11/16/2007, 12:32 PM
Obsessed

simply amazing!... i might have to come down with some illness that will keep me in the hospital for a few weeks.

im also very very proud that there is no NEMO in that tank... keep em out! or if you want a clown fish. go with a black varient so everyone doesnt yell.. theres NEMO!!..
also you might want to get some large 1/8th inch sheets of acrlyic cut to match the size of the tank. and create almost.. a scratch barrier? just an idea.
Old 11/16/2007, 01:57 PM
WTMRAC President/Thug

Quote:
Originally posted by Zestay
im also very very proud that there is no NEMO in that tank... keep em out! or if you want a clown fish. go with a black varient so everyone doesnt yell.. theres NEMO!!..
being a children's hospital they all want to see a nemo of some variety. I'm planning on some Picasso clowns.
also you might want to get some large 1/8th inch sheets of acrlyic cut to match the size of the tank. and create almost.. a scratch barrier? just an idea. [/QUOTE]
I've been mulling that one over as well. Might do a glass "touch" barrier, or just get handy with a polisher.
Old 11/16/2007, 02:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zestay
Well, I have to disagree. As much as I loathe what the movie did to cause the death of so many clowns (purchased by ill-advised, but possibly well meaning parents), our daughter's favorite fish is our pair of ocellaris hosting in an RBTA. Now you might make some comment about her being influenced by the movie, or what not, but she has never seen the movie... oh, and she is only 4 months old.

Does our school/shaol of 11 bartlett anthias attract her attention ? sure, from time to time. Do any of our larger tangs (orange shoulder, purpler, sailfin, powder brown) interest her ? Sure, especially the quite large orange shoulder and purple tangs. But the ones that she actually gets excited about are the ocellaris pair. Whenever they wander a little closer to the front of the tank she pays extra attention and show visible excitement.

While ours is a singular experience I would say that completely excluding clowns would be a mistake. They are called clowns because of their behaviors, and that is something that the children really enjoy.

Just our opinion on the topic

Really great looking tank and setup. Congrats to Scott and everyone else involved with this project !!!!!

Last edited by Sparkss; 11/16/2007 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11/16/2007, 03:11 PM
Premium Member

i agree, magnificent tank. how many people will be maintaining it?

though you simply must have both Nemo and Dori.

then you can explain that the fish is called that because it is an a"Nemo"ne fish and in the wild MUST live in an anemone.

if i could suggest some kind of a little booklet that is by the tank the has a FAQ sheet in it to answer those ever present questions. after all there won't always be someone there to answer the questions.

people could write down their questions that could be compliled into a FAQ sheet.

Carl
Old 11/16/2007, 03:15 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefski's
if i could suggest some kind of a little booklet that is by the tank the has a FAQ sheet in it to answer those ever present questions. after all there won't always be someone there to answer the questions.

people could write down their questions that could be compliled into a FAQ sheet.
Or long term maybe some sort of "interactive activity" center for presentation of the FAQ, like you see next to exhibits at museums, zoos and the like.