Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/23/2007, 09:33 AM
WTMRAC President/Thug

Quote:
Originally posted by spazz
i will give it 2-3 days and the front cover paper will be off the tank.
did anyone else take pictures of the rock work? looks good so far.
how much salt water do you have to make yet to completly fill the system?
I started making the last bit last night. My acrylic stands are in and I'll put those on today. Then its a matter of putting the missing O ring back into the surge ball valve and we're good.
Old 10/23/2007, 09:39 AM
no time for spell check!

the o ring was in the sink the last time i had seen it. hope it didnt get lost......
is the water clearing up now so you can see into the tank better?

you may want to re check the pumps for any stray shavings that may get in there and plug the pumps once you get it full of water and have everything circulating around.
Old 10/23/2007, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

I'm so stoked to see this tank up and running, this thing is awesome. I've never seen 8 lumenarcs together like that before. Keep the pics coming, Great work you all, keep it up.
Old 10/23/2007, 12:10 PM
WTMRAC President/Thug

Quote:
Originally posted by spazz
the o ring was in the sink the last time i had seen it. hope it didnt get lost......
Oh no. I have the ring. Gollum made a dash at it but its MY PRECIOUS!
I realized it was not on when I hooked the surge pumps up in preparation and opened the valve. OH, the return pump valve is like the salt mixing vlave was, not seating properly, and i'll need to replace it. You get those at McMaster?
John Curren has already called me today about the tank. Wondering where the fish, coral, etc are. Why the lights aren't on. He was nervous but since I've explained everything to him he's better now.
Old 10/25/2007, 05:28 AM
Catch and release

Congrats! This thread has been one of those selected for consideration for Thread of the Month

You can vote for it here
Old 10/26/2007, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

Wow. So neat, and for a great cause. Keep us posted.
Old 10/27/2007, 02:13 PM
Moved On

awesome good job guys
Old 10/27/2007, 08:05 PM
AEFW Survivor

Little late to jump on this one but I too have to send accolades!

I really had to laugh at the comment about the MJ mods. I doubt you'll have many areas of dead space with that surge system and those TUNZE pumps.

It is great to see a system of such magnitude set up from the beginning. Too bad most major aquariums don't have something along the lines of what you are doing!

I hope that you have all the luck keeping your tank parasite free!!
Old 10/27/2007, 08:32 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by SERVO
I hope that you have all the luck keeping your tank parasite free!!
the quarantine tank and hospital tank are not in the room yet. there in another building where they are housing corals and fish for the big tank. once those corals and fish are moved to the main tank that system will be installed in the room where it can be set up perminantly. each system will have its own skimmer and uv sterilizer. it will also be hooked to the main computer so it can monitor the system. this will help to keep parisites out of the main display. if barrott sotres all the corals and fish in the hospital and quarantine tanks for 4-6 weeks before placing them in the main tank he can keep the chances low of ever introducing parisites to the main tank. we tried to think of everything that would cause this system tto be shut down for long periods of time and then figured out ways to prevent those from happening. this was very carefully thought out so it stays runnig for at least 10 years with no major problems that would cause it to be shut down or rebuilt.
Old 10/27/2007, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

very nice system
Old 10/29/2007, 02:41 AM
Moved On

Awesome build!

Im pretty much speachless.
Old 10/30/2007, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
You did a great job posting pictures with descriptions!

I love how it is all coming together.

That tank is sick! with such thick acrylic. Man o man.

Why is there a bunch of putty on the two bulkheads inside the tank?
I belief that is for hiding it

Reefteria!!!!
Old 10/30/2007, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
You did a great job posting pictures with descriptions!

I love how it is all coming together.

That tank is sick! with such thick acrylic. Man o man.

Why is there a bunch of putty on the two bulkheads inside the tank?
I belief that is for hiding it.

Congrats on the great job for the kids, it is really amazing.
Kids will remember this tank for the rest of their lives.

Reefteria!!!!
Old 10/31/2007, 05:57 AM
WTMRAC President/Thug

Whils't doing some maintenance on the other aquaria I overheard a patient begging mommy to let him watch the fish before treatment. At this rate, when the 850 is up they'll have to DRAG the kids away!
Old 10/31/2007, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

Awesome build, congrats everyone!
Old 10/31/2007, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

wow spazz you really did think of pretty much everything with this. it looks absolutely amazing and i cant wait to see video of that surge running. damn now i want an 850!!!!!!
Old 10/31/2007, 07:06 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by tattooreef
wow spazz you really did think of pretty much everything with this. it looks absolutely amazing and i cant wait to see video of that surge running. damn now i want an 850!!!!!!
there is videos of the surge tanks dumping on page 2 and 3.

well your tank is 11 feet long. all you need to do is make it 6 feet wide and 36 inches tall and you would have one hummer of a reef system. lol
Old 10/31/2007, 10:09 PM

Ouch.
Old 11/01/2007, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

ok spazz stop giving me ideas! because the sound of that seems perfect for me. lol but i do think i will stick with this one for a while, and then when im ready to go bigger ill just use the 11 footer for one hell of a fuge!!!! lol
Old 11/04/2007, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

Great job!
Old 11/04/2007, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

Any updates on this?

I would like to see the finishe project.
Old 11/05/2007, 12:22 AM
Registered Member

THis is going to be one hell of a system Spazz... you did a great job in a little time without the sacrifice of quality. Congrats man.
Old 11/05/2007, 12:58 AM
no time for spell check!

right now the system is going through its cycle peroid so things are slow to update. the tank has to be ready for mid november when there will be a party to kick off the opening of the new building. barrott plans to have some fish and corals in the system for that event. i will be down there for a couple of days just before the event to make sure everything is runnng smooth and the system is ready for the bio load that will be placed in it. it will be exciting to see the first fish and corals going in there.
Old 11/05/2007, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

spazz, how come St. Jude Children's Hospital went with an acrylic tank? Won't it have a lot of scratches since it will be in an area where a lot of people will be looking at and touching the tank?
Old 11/05/2007, 03:03 PM
no time for spell check!

the hight of the tank had alot to due with the choice of materials. the tank is 4 ft tall. to build a tank that tall we would have had to use laminated starfire glass. that would have reduced the clarity of the viewing pannels. for every layer of lamination you have, the glass is a little less clear. so we decide to use acrylic to insure the visibility of the tank. sure there may end up being scratches on the exterior of the tank. theses are easy to remove with a buffer. most of the scratches would be from rings and such. if the tank need to be buffed out once a year its not that big of a deal. the 2 viewing pannels can be buffed out in a couple of hours. now if you scratch glass you can forget buffing the scratches out. they are there for the life of the tank. also you have to consider the surge tank fittings and the external overflow design. they would have been dificult to make into a glass tank of that size. then there is the biggest part of it. barrott has to lay on top of the tank to maintaince it. this is why the top of the tank is made with 2" thick acrylic. the bracing has to support the pressure from the water in the tank plus the weight of the person maintaing the tank. it cant be weak or the tank will burst. we factored all those things into the design of the tank when we decide what the tank size would be.
there is a big reason for tha tank being 4 ft tall. alot of the pacients are under 4 ft tall. then thereis there family members which would be taller than the pacient. so you can have the shorter people in front of the tank and the taller ones behind thenm and they can both have a good view of the inhabitants inside the tank. the bottom of the tank is 30" off the follr. your average 7 year old child is about 4 ft tall. the ones that are younger are about 36" tall. this will give everyone a good viewing point of the tank. we wanted everyone to be able to see inside the tank. we also had to consider anyone who might be in a wheel chair. thereis alot of elderly grandparents that will be there to visit and may want to see the tank. if they are in a wheel chair we want them to have a good view inside the tank. in the end the only problem we had with the design is the sump. because i didnt want make the tank nay higher we had tu use a sump that was smaller than i would have wanted. so the sump is a limitation in some ways. we have to be carefull that we dont overflow the sump if we have both surge tank dump at the same time. we can prevent that by reducing the dump time on the surge tanks. there is an adjustment on the surge valves that will alow us to reduce the amount of water being dumped. this would reduce the amount of water going into the sump and would prevent any flooding problems. it was a ballancing act to get everything to work smoothly and try to make everything work to the advantage of the people viewing the tank.

i hope that helps explain things better.