Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/16/2007, 03:26 PM
WTMRAC President/Thug

Reefski's; Sparkss, both of your suggestions are in the works already. Its just gonna take some time. As for maintenance, it will be me. Unless more club members get involved. The way things are going with members though, I might have to hire a company to do maintenance.
Old 11/16/2007, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

Wow! Those are going to be some very fortunate children who get to go and see that while in the hospital. I know if I were one of those kids I would instantly feel better after seeing that! You guys did a great job on the system and its going to be quite a nice set up once it gets all grown in with corals
I also think that some ocellaris and a hippo tang are mandatory for the kids. They are easy fish to maintain and theres really no good reason not to put them in.
Old 11/18/2007, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

I am so freaking jealous of that keaton kid! Luckiest reefer in Tennessee! I think everyone who has ever owned a reef tank has mulled the idea of stickin their head in their tank with gogles at one point. But Keaton actually got to dive and aquascape. Man, way cool.

This has been an awesome thread, FANTASTIC WORK guys/gals. Those are some very fortunate kids. Be sure to post some pics when the building opens and all the admirers are enjoying your hard work!
Old 11/18/2007, 12:59 AM
Registered Member

Wow looking good

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 11/18/2007, 08:27 AM
WTMRAC's Daddy

Quote:
Originally posted by pbukow
Be sure to post some pics when the building opens and all the admirers are enjoying your hard work!
That probably won't be a possibility with HIPPA regulations and such. We are talking about a hospital, and patient confidentiality is of great concern.
Old 11/18/2007, 09:21 AM
IllegitimiNonCarborundum

HIPPA covers the medical record and governs healthcare providers, not pictures taken in a public place of an aquarium by a visitor
Old 11/18/2007, 09:52 AM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

Hopefully, we'll find a way to get pictures like the ones of kids on our club website where we have the progress posted on the upgrade of the two 225 gallon tanks in another building. I don't know what Barrett had to go through to get permission to post those.

St. Jude aggressively protects the privacy of their patients and the families. The hospital is not open to the public and you have to go through guard gates to get into any area of the campus. Permission had to be given by St. Jude to post any of the pictures that have been posted here already.

They do give tours and are giving a lot of them now of the new center that is just opening. There are ways for outsiders to see the tanks but I wouldn't call it a "public place" by any means.

I'm really hoping to see some of that kind of footage in the Today Show stories that are on this week. Barrett reports that people were really WOWed by the tank so hopefully some of that will come through on the show.

Here is the link to the thread on our club RC forum where you can see the delight in the kids' eyes over the first two tanks. I, too, can't wait to see what they think of this one!

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=834242
Old 11/18/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

WOW let us know if it is going to be on the TODAY show, that would be awesome recognition for all of your hardwork and dedication. Congrats again.
Old 11/18/2007, 04:42 PM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

Wouldn't it though???

The Today Show is showing a feature this week, but the subject is St. Jude Children's Research Hospital .... not the tank.

I'm just hoping to see the tank as a back drop and maybe a view and mention while they're showing the new Chili's Center where the tank is.

Scroll back for a post from Barrett with the details.

Thanks
Cathy
Old 11/18/2007, 06:51 PM
WTMRAC's Daddy

Quote:
Originally posted by DrBegalke
HIPPA covers the medical record and governs healthcare providers, not pictures taken in a public place of an aquarium by a visitor
As Cathy said, this is not a public place...we have lots of pictures of the children looking at the fish in their other two tanks, but written permission from the parents of those children had to be obtained before St. Jude would allow us to post those pictures on our club website.

On another note:
I was excited when our club took over the maintenance of the two 225 gallon tanks in another building at St. Jude. When Barrett and I heard of the new building and the plan to put an aquarium in that building also, we were so excited to be able to do this for the kids...we couldn't wait to get started. I am so proud of my club for being able to participate and facilitate in the creation of such a grand project. I hope the patients enjoy it...which I am sure they will.
Old 11/18/2007, 09:30 PM
Keeper of Sharks

Wow! I bet you just made thousands of kids happy!

Fantastic outcome!

Congrats!

"Risk something, take back whats yours. Say something that you know they might attack you for." - Linkin Park - Hands Held High
Old 11/19/2007, 08:31 AM
WTMRAC President/Thug

The first picture in a newspaper can be seen here . We got a mention in the local newspaper! Wee!
Old 11/19/2007, 08:34 AM
WTMRAC President/Thug

Tune in to NBC’s Today show next week as they profile St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Patient success stories resulting from the extraordinary science and medicine at St. Jude will be featured in two segments each day (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, November 19, 20, 21 and 23). The first segment will air between 7 and 8 a.m., and live patient and family interviews will take place between 9 and 10 a.m. Marlo Thomas, national outreach director, will be live on the program Friday, November 23. And Today show co-host Meredith Vieira, who spent yesterday afternoon at St. Jude, will discuss her experience all week on the program. Be sure and encourage your friends and family to tune into Today for these exciting segments.

This may or may not feature the new tank, but I can't imagine they would leave it out!
Old 12/01/2007, 04:29 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

Location: On the Elk River/Chesapeake Bay in Elkton/North East, Maryland
Any new updates?
Old 12/02/2007, 08:41 PM
WTMRAC President/Thug

working one through PR. Sorry.
Old 12/02/2007, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

You did not need PR for the other 2 tanks the club works on!!!
Old 12/02/2007, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

id love to see more pics of the tank as it matures
Old 12/03/2007, 09:25 AM
WTMRAC President/Thug

Quote:
Originally posted by acro-wrasse
You did not need PR for the other 2 tanks the club works on!!!
That's an ongoing fiasco. PR is needed from now on. *sigh*
Old 12/03/2007, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

christmas tree wrasse! thats a beautiful fish.
Old 12/03/2007, 08:04 PM
Premium Member

I've been in and out the hospital too many times to count. I only with that my hospital had the 'REEF THERAPY' you've provided to all those kids. Kudos and blessings for all your hard work and dedication. Can't wait to see updates as the tank continues to mature.

What a great Christmas present for St. Judes.
Old 12/04/2007, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

I think that what the hospital administration is probably concerned with is the possibility of pictures taken of the aquarium inadvertently including pictures of patients and their families and friends.

Ted
Old 12/04/2007, 02:21 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by bigtex52
I think that what the hospital administration is probably concerned with is the possibility of pictures taken of the aquarium inadvertently including pictures of patients and their families and friends.
yes this is one of the things they worry about. st judes has strict standards them must up hold. it is a hospital. look at all the new laws about pacient confidentiality. they have to follow those rules just like any other hospital does.
Old 12/04/2007, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

That is a truly impressive set-up.
Old 12/04/2007, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

unreal build!!!
Old 12/04/2007, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

unreal build!!!