Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/10/2007, 02:13 PM
Genius

Thumbs up danskim's 300g rimless starphire

I just placed the order for a 300g rimless starphire tank. Geez... that was expensive.

Dimensions: 96x31.5x24.5 in 3/4 glass. Front and right panes are starphire.

I am upgrading from my current 150g (48x24x30), so it's quite a big change I guess. The tank is currently being built, and it probably won't arrive for at least a month.. so now it's a waiting game! I figured I'd make this thread now, so that I actually make a build log. At least it gives me time to start building the stand. Unfortunately, it's not the coolest rimless like those AGE tanks with PVC bottom, but I'm hoping it'll still look very sharp.

This is what I have planned out so far... mostly mentally...

Circulation :
- 2 x Tunze 6100s on 7095 Multicontroller (What I currently have) - I may also switch to 2 Vortechs to be less intrusive. Still undecided.
- CLS with OM 4-way and Reeflo Barracuda (Or perhaps 2 OM 4-ways and 2 Darts).

Skimming:
- My current Bubble Master BM250 (I'm hoping it can handle the load).

Misc.:
- Remote DSB - I am totally sold on this idea. It'll probably be in the 10-20g range.
- My current calcium reactor.
- Two Phosban reactors if ever needed
- My current AquaController Jr. It gets the job done on my 150g, and hopefully it will do the same for this upgrade.

Sump/Refugium
- 100 or 150g Rubbermaid Poly Stock tank for sump
- 30g refugium

Lighting:
The aspect I am least sure about is lighting. I am not sure which fixture I'd like to get. The tank dimensions make choosing a lighting system hard. Since it's 96", there are no fixtures that are that length. They all stop at 72".

1. I may go with all spotlights. I've been told the 150w variety will probably be too weak, so I need to locate some 250w if I can.
2. Or I may go with a Lumenarc 3 SE system, but the problem with this type of setup is making a sleek fixture of some sort... I am averse to making a canopy for this tank since it's rimless.
3. I spoke to Coralvue, and they say that they are releasing a new black pendant that is the same size as a full-sized L3 reflector. But they have created 24 facets of reflection as opposed to the L3's 12. Supposedly it adds 15% efficiency. I may also go with a pendant system... 3 or 4 x 250w SEs in these new pendants.
4. Obviously there are the very expensive designer fixtures from Giesemann, Sfigiloi to name two. I am considering these as well since they are so darn sleek, but I'd obviously like to
5. Last choice is going all T5. I really like my lighting right now which is all T5. I'd need to find a nice fixture. I've seen the Fauna Marins, Sfigiloi, IceCap, and Aquactinics fixtures. I'd probably need four 4 foot fixtures.

So as you can see, I'm in quite a mess with choices... Any and all advice/input is appreciated! I am here to learn!

*BTW, I started a new thread, because I realize I typed my own username wrong in the original thread .
Old 08/10/2007, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

sounds like a great tank build...mind if I ask where you are getting the tank? I'll be following along closely.
Old 08/10/2007, 07:48 PM
Genius

Oh yes. Once again I forgot to put that in the original post.
It's being built by glasscages (crossing my fingers after hearing a few horror stories).

However, according to the many reviewers I've read, most have had trouble with custom made jobs. This is a standard size for their commercial clients in 3/4" glass. As stated in the original post, the front and right panes will be Starphire by PPG.
So hopefully, mine will be nice and sturdy.
Old 08/11/2007, 12:20 AM
Registered Member

Sweet build. Fliger has a post on hear somewhere. he had major trouble with that light (Sfigiloi). Just FYI read his thread if I find it I will send you the link

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 08/11/2007, 06:19 AM
Registered Member

i cant wait to see this get started...do you know when you tank is suppoesed to get there? Make sure you tank a lot of pictures.
Old 08/11/2007, 09:36 AM
Genius

Thanks for the heads up Eric. I actually saw his post last night, so until that gets fixed, I'll be a bit wary.

The tank is going to get here in early to mid-September, so still quite a bit of time left.

I didn't want them to rush it for a sooner delivery.
Old 08/11/2007, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

sounds like its gonna be sweet
Old 08/11/2007, 11:02 AM
Genius

Actually now that I think about it... I'm still on the wait list for an ATI PowerModul (probably been 3+ months). I might do a 2 x 4ft PowerModul setup if I can get two within a reasonable amount of time.

There's probably a big waiting list. I hear that the units have been in the US for a little while, but ReefGeek is working on boxes or something like that.
Old 08/11/2007, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

Hello Danskim I live in Salisbury Md. Where are you from? Sounds like a great tank set up. I would stick with the the t5. but it depends on what you want to keep. Are you going to use a chiller?
Old 08/11/2007, 01:17 PM
Genius

Hi, I'm in Ellicott City. Are you a WAMAS or CMAS member?

I've found that I can keep anything with my current T5 setup even in a 30" deep tank. This one is only going to be 24.5, so it'll be fine I'm sure as far as livestock options go. I would definitely like to stick with T5s...
However, nice, active-cooled systems will be a bit more costly than a Lumenarc setup especially since some brands/models I would need 4 x 4ft models and with some other maybe just 2 x 4ft. Of course they're overall sleeker along with all the other benefits of a T5 only setup.

I will be using a chiller. I have a 1/3 HP chiller that I use now. The tank will be in the basement, which stays cool all year round.

At the moment I don't plan to buy a more powerful chiller, but I may need to.

Last edited by danskim; 08/11/2007 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08/11/2007, 01:34 PM
Genius

After seeing so many nice threads... I can't wait to get mine started!
Luckily I'll be using LR from my current tank and some more than has been cycling a long time.
As long as equipment buying/waiting and plumbing doesn't take too long, I hope to have this done before December.
Old 08/11/2007, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

Are you a WAMAS or CMAS member?

No I am not. Where have you been getting your live stock? I used to go to Aquarium center and House of tropicals along time ago. I now buy all my live stock from DR. Mac at Pacific East Aquaculture in Mardela Springs. It is only 15 min from me.
Old 08/11/2007, 05:51 PM
Genius

I've mostly been ordering online because of all the good stay-alive guarantees.
Usually I order off of liveaquaria.com. Most reputable places have at least 10 days guarantee, and that means a lot to me after losing some local bought fish.
I didn't lose anything major like others have though...
Old 08/11/2007, 06:53 PM
clownfish fan

300g rimless tank from glass cages. did they sound as if that was something they had done before.
Old 08/11/2007, 08:48 PM
Genius

Yeah they have it listed on their website as well.
It's a standard listed size for their commercial tanks.
Old 08/12/2007, 01:52 AM
Genius

Should I X the closed loop and just get another (perhaps pair of) Stream or Vortech?

I drilled 8 holes into my current Oceanic without any problems, and I really like how the OMs work. But I guess I'm getting a bit nervous from bad press on glasscages...
Old 08/12/2007, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

If you are buying a new tank. It might be a good idea to make all your plans and have them drill it. This way there will be less trouble and problems. i had them drill my returns and drains so I wouldn't have to deal with it. If I had an acrylic tank then I would drill it myself.

I am sure you can drill it yourself. If you do I would just check with the warranty.

Old 08/12/2007, 08:46 PM
Genius

Yeah it'll probably void the warranty, but their warranty is super short anyways at 90 days.
I drilled my Oceanic in 8 places like I said in an earlier post, and it was strong and leak-proof.
If I do stick with the closed loop, I'll take your advice and get them to do it. I was probably just being stingy since I know I could do it for cheaper.

I may just get a few more streams or vortechs.

Last edited by danskim; 08/12/2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08/12/2007, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

I know about being stingy. Trust me. We got to save where we can.

Old 08/15/2007, 05:22 PM
Genius

An 8 bulb T5 fixture that is 17.5" wide is probably too narrow for this 31.5" wide tank, right?
Old 08/15/2007, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

Dan,
Can't wait to see how it turns out! I like the 150 build thread on WAMAS and CMAS alot. Haven't seen you there much, you should post this thread there too. Geofloors and miller both have large tanks from Glass cages, I've seen both and they look great. You shouldn't have a problem. I'll be tagging along.
Old 08/16/2007, 08:26 PM
Genius

Ok, I decided on 2 ATI Powermodul fixtures.
One 36" 8 bulb and one 48" 8 bulb. It's probably a bit narrow, but I can suspend it a little higher so there's more light spread.
I think I mentioned this in some other threads, but in my current 30" deep tank, I have my lower-PAR TekLight about 6" off the water surface, and my corals are growing like crazy. There are some SPS pieces on the sandbed including a montipora confusa (not that light hungry), a. formosa and p. damicornis.
Old 08/17/2007, 11:43 AM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

Sounds like fun, I'm along for the ride......

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 08/17/2007, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

Have you considered using a wavebox on the tank instead of a CL system? I find that one wavebox moves the water in my whole system very efficiently and effectively (no dead spots,) with a very natural motion. (Plus you don't need extra holes in the tank.) Combine it with your existing 6100s and I think you'll have plenty of current for the whole tank.
Old 08/17/2007, 02:33 PM
Genius

Yes, I am considering a Tunze wavebox...
I am just concerned about it lessening the life of a glass tank because of the pressure it puts on the seams with each wave.

For now, I am thinking 1 more 6101 or 6201 + 1 Vortech to start.
If I need more flow, I'll add another Vortech probably.