Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01/09/2008, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

Octopus Pro Series "The Ultimate Octopus Skimmer"

Octopus Pro Series. These will be the ultimate in the Octopus skimmer line. I have been biting my tongue for a while when I first got wind that the Octopus skimmer line will be utilizing these pumps, and finally have permission to release the info to the RC community. All the specs and testing were given to me during the skimmers build/creation process. So here is what I know.

They will be utilizing Hagen pump motors "the same as the Red Dragon line" with custom designed volutes and venturi's. The reported results have been outstanding.

Pump are made in the U.S. and the body has all NPT pipe and fittings and these pumps were professionally modified by engineers. These new pumps are to be very reliable and efficient to run. No metric fittings to deal with.

They are calling the pumps Skim-Rite. The first skimmer CoralVue will be releasing is the Octopus Pro 250 with the Skim-Rite 1000 pump. It pulls 900LPH of air and draws only 30 watts. The pumps will have pin wheel impellers. In my opinion needle wheel/pin wheels are much more reliable and do not need replacing like mesh. The 250 model is 24" tall, has an 8" chamber and a 4" neck. The footprint is reported to be 8" X 12".

These skimmers look very promising, and love the look of the pump volute. You can actually see the massive amounts of air getting chopped up.

What does everyone think? I should be getting my own personal Octopus Pro Series 250 next week.