Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Southwest Virginia Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 10:16 PM
Premium Member

new to the area

Can you tell me about the club? Is there a website? I live a little north but I go to atlantis all the time so I am interested in the local club. Can anyone give me details.
Old 01/05/2008, 10:42 PM
Nothing original for now

We don't have a separate website. I was going to tell you about the Richmond Club but you've found that already
Old 01/06/2008, 09:57 AM
wm3.org

Welcome Wigo ... Like Chuck said there isn't a local site. Allthough there should be .... The club is very informal , and full of great people... Look forward to seeing you at a meeting...
Old 01/06/2008, 07:14 PM
I bleed orange and maroon

you've obviously found Atlantis in Richmond by now, but if you are ever headed towards Roanoke.....you should check out Ultimate Aquariums......they aren't as big, but have much more rare and fancier corals for sale than Atlantis does.

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 01/06/2008, 08:04 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the advice. I will have to check them out. Are there any good stores from Richmond to Virginia Beach?
Old 01/06/2008, 08:12 PM
I bleed orange and maroon

theres only 1 other store in Richmond worth mentioning, which is Fish World....that is on south side.

i think there may be 1 in Virginia Beach, i think its called Fish Safari....but it may have gone down hill.

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 01/06/2008, 08:17 PM
Premium Member

I think I went there once. I was not impressed. If any of you ever get to charlotte go to fintastic. That place is worth the visit. It is worth the drive for that matter. That was the LFS I was used to. Very nice place. Hard to find that here. Atlantis is close. I like the guys there and they are helpful.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:30 AM
You Load 16Tons...

fish safari got pretty pointless a few years ago. not sure why since leroy is still there running it, but the coral tanks are pretty blah and always have what appear to be the exact same corals in them. i imagine that all the good stuff gets sold straight out of the box, leaving the blah stuff on the racks forever. last time i was there everything looked like it was on the verge of crashing.

the new player in virginia beach is reef chief. until recently it was a guy running a shop out of his 1-car garage in a townhouse. tanks stacked on tanks with barely any room to walk between them. but now he has a pretty big store not too far from the new amphitheater. stupidly high prices- $350 for a 10-15 head frogspawn colony, $600 for a 6-8" purple cap, $60-75 (i think) for a racquetball sized colony of anthellia. and frags were *way* too expensive but i forget the exact prices. but worth a look if you're in the area already.

the new fintastic in charlotte is a slick store. most things are horribly overpriced there as well, but with the overhead they are running it's understandable in their case. you can usually find a real gem in their frag/small colony tank that's well worth it.
fin's reef (actually the brick&morter is called fin's & critters) is also down there (though a bit of a drive out in the country) and is always worth the trip. *great* guys running it and even though they don't have much salt livestock, what they get is beyond top-shelf. i think the wholesalers send them the good stuff to suck up to them since fin's is the H&S importer.