Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08/29/2007, 08:59 PM
WTMRAC President/Thug

Talking New Aquarium for St Jude Children's Hospital (800+G)

Thanks for checking out the Aquarium thread here on Reef Central. This is a project that has been in the works for about a year and a half here at St Jude. It all started with a phonecall from Design and Construction head John Curran. We at the West Tennessee Marine and Reef Aquarium Club have been maintaining two 225G aquariums in the B clinic waiting room with much success and lots of praise from the staff, parents and most importantly, the patients. These little windows into another world help to aleve their minds of the treatments and pains of hospitalization. So when John asked me how I would like to take on a 1,000G reef I was estatic!
We met and worked out some of the rough ideas and off I went to do some research. Of course the first stop was Reef Central. All the help and guidance I have received from this site and its members has been worth its weight in gold. Through Reef Central via Energy, I met Scott (Spazz) Ledin founder of Aquatic Acrylics . His tireless efforts and expertise are two thing that have kept this project running as effectively as it has been. Scott came in and designed the tank, the tank’s room and all of the equipment, electrical, plumbing and more than I can think of.
With the addition of project leader Doug Tran from Design and Construction, the three of us (Doug, Scott, and I ) have brought this project into being.
The aquarium was delivered June 27, 2007 after Scott drove it two days from his home in Minnessota to us here in Memphis, TN. With the help of WTMRAC members Willem and Jennifer Burmel, Lary Casey, BJ Yancey and myself we unloaded the first round of equipment and took a tour of the construction site.

Last edited by Nanook; 08/31/2007 at 01:05 PM.