Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum

Old 01/07/2008, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

coraline algea

How do you get it to grow all my SPS are coloring up- But my rocks look black and coraline algea is not growing that fast-i have 3 250 SE XM 10k that I just added Was running 12K reeflux could that have caused it running 12k reeflux's ??? all params are in check-HELP
Old 01/07/2008, 12:26 AM
Moved On

do you have any coraline in the tank to begin with? you have to have coraline to grow it. it doesnt just show up. Check your calcium levels. your sps might be using all the available calcium leaving little to help your coraline grow! good luck
Old 01/07/2008, 12:57 AM
Registered Member

Yes i have some in there and "some" on the glass but my rocks look like [profanity] they are like base rock and some are black looking tank is only 4-5 mnths old.

Last edited by bertoni; 01/07/2008 at 01:45 AM.
Old 01/07/2008, 01:46 AM
RC Mod

The black coloration might be due to a sponge or some sort of organism. Does it come off easily? Does it appear to grow?
Old 01/07/2008, 01:50 AM
Registered Member

they just look yellowish and dark black all over -and they look kind of fuzzy
Old 01/07/2008, 01:58 AM
RC Mod

I don't think I'm going to be able to id the organism, but it can apparently outcompete coralline algae for surface area. This type of problem is uncommon, but it's been reported before. I'm not sure what to suggest. A good closeup might help, might not.
Old 01/07/2008, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

The black may be a type of cyano (can be black) and the yellow fuzzy stuff green hair algae (can look yellowish under some lighting, but tough to say without an image.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:29 PM
Reef Chemist

Maintaining calcium, alkalinity and magnesium in appropriate concentrations would be important, as would low phosphate.