Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/02/2004, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

NSW Bay Water

Hey does anyone use Water from the bay? Just curious.

"The elders of the tribe eat first. And if you cannot accept that, there is only one thing to do: Start your own tribe, so you'll be at the top of the food chain."
Old 03/02/2004, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

NSW

I thought about using natural seawater and did some asking around. Just about every one I talked to said it was a bad idea but if I was going to do it go at least 10 miles off shore. The reason is run off pesticides, bacteria (red tide) and other nasty stuff. I would still like more info so I am going to tag along on this one.
Old 03/02/2004, 11:11 PM
ANCHOR member

There are several people here on RC that use NSW, Bomber for one . I plan on using NSW when I set up my new tank. Try asking this question on General Reef Discussion. You should get a lot of response.
Old 03/02/2004, 11:33 PM
Registered Member

I thought about it, but wanted to target the Bay specifically, so I posted here. If everyone agrees I have no problem moving the thread.

"The elders of the tribe eat first. And if you cannot accept that, there is only one thing to do: Start your own tribe, so you'll be at the top of the food chain."
Old 03/02/2004, 11:49 PM
ANCHOR member

NSW is NSW,and if you want to get more input post the question on Reef Discussion IMO. I also live in the Bay area,and I have a boat. I think if you have a way to collect from a good source it is the best way to go.
Old 03/03/2004, 06:58 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
There are several people here on RC that use NSW, Bomber for one
There's a big difference between the bay and the water Bomber uses. He actually goes out to the reef and collects from there. And he only does so when the tide is right, etc...

The nutrient load in the Gulf makes it a bad idea let alone the Bay. You'd be in for a hard time if you tried it.

If you want to know - ask. But I won't promise you'll like the answer.
Old 03/03/2004, 08:23 AM
ANCHOR member

I didn't say to collect from the bay. I stated " If you have a way to collect from a good source it is the best way to go." I have a good way to collect, in my boat approximately 20 miles off shore.
Old 03/03/2004, 08:46 AM
ANCHOR member

The Keys have some big water problems . Like the run off from the sugar plantations in south Florida,and do you think Key West pumps their waste water to the mainland?
Old 03/03/2004, 08:55 AM
Premium Member

I assure you that the water quality in the keys does not compare to the Gulf or the Bay. It's not even close.

The sewage waste in the keys is captured in septic tanks and trucked to the mainland. There is no sewer to the ocean in the keys.

Old 03/03/2004, 09:34 AM
ANCHOR member

gregt,
Don't take my word for it . Check out Keys water quality on the net . Just go down the list, and you will see. Reef Relief Action Alert Florida Keys Water Quality Improvement Act.2000 . Water Quality Boot Key Harbor States " 7 million gallons per day of "Almost Raw" sewage that Key West Pumps in the water about 100 yards off the beaches.
Old 03/03/2004, 10:42 AM
Premium Member

Reef Relief has a tiny bit of an agenda. The "Facts" are a bit skewed.

Not to mention your "facts" don't show the amount of nutrients in the Bay or Gulf. You cannot compare two areas by looking at numbers from only one of them.

Not even taking human impact into account you cannot compare the two. I assure you that if you "check it out" you'll find that nutrient levels are astronomically higher in the bay area.

Old 03/03/2004, 11:09 AM
ANCHOR member

Go down to Water Quality Boot KEY Look the 7 million gallons of "Almost Raw " sewage that Key West pumps about 100 yards off the beaches per day . I'm not saying the water here is better, but the water in the Keys is not pure. Also Key West according to this does pump " Almost Raw " sewage about 100 yards off shore.
Old 03/03/2004, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

This subject was also brought up in NJ when we were living there about using nsw everyone said to go offshore to get the water if you use it`s much safer further you go the better you are. remember you have boats going around the bay and inshore compared to offshore not as many plus the dumping that everyone claims they DON`T do,not only state,local people in the boats (30footers plus)that pump there septic tanks over board into the water.then people walking,partying by the water threwing stuff into water.

so if ya have a chance to get on a boat go for little ride offshore do it,and bring a few fishing poles with ya make a day of it,or go diving.that way you don`t think your wasting your time.cause you can get out of truck walk over to water get it and leave.and your done.
Old 03/03/2004, 12:36 PM
ANCHOR member

I know when I asked about NSW on the reef discussion forum I got a lot of + input. Bomber's input was one big deciding factor. Also aLFS owner whose opinion I totally trust said "if you can go out far enough off shore, and pump from below the surface do it.
Old 03/03/2004, 12:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
if you can go out far enough off shore
The bay is not offshore.

Old 03/03/2004, 12:51 PM
ANCHOR member

I never said to get water from the bay . I was talking about using NSW from a good clean source. Read what I wrote in the 6th. reply from the top.
Old 03/03/2004, 12:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Hey does anyone use Water from the bay? Just curious.
I was addressing the question asked.

Old 03/03/2004, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

I didn't realize this was such a touchy topic....

Ok, I'm willing to setup a 12 gallon tank with Bay water, if people are willing to provide some suggestions on what to put into it so that it's a fair test. (something cheap as well since this may prove hazardous).

I can test the baseline tests daily for a week or two then weekly, and post results as well as photo's to a site.

Old 03/03/2004, 01:05 PM
Premium Member

Nothing that requires low nutrients IE: Phosphate and nitrate.

Your biggest problem is going to be keeping algae growth under control.

Old 03/03/2004, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

How about the substrate? Crushed coral ok, or perhaps barebottom, so that the substrate doesn't impact the water?

Old 03/03/2004, 01:08 PM
Premium Member

Tough one. You might need a sand bed just to wick some of the crap out of the water. It will be maintenance heavy whichever substrate you choose.

Old 03/03/2004, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

Take a test kit down to the source and see your results. I tested the water at both Dunedin causeway (phosphates off the chart) and at Bellaire beach (actually pretty good for what I could test). I would test your particular source even if you go offshore.
Old 03/05/2004, 06:13 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Danz
Take a test kit down to the source and see your results. I tested the water at both Dunedin causeway (phosphates off the chart) and at Bellaire beach (actually pretty good for what I could test). I would test your particular source even if you go offshore.
You don't really need a test kit to know that there are nutrient issues with the water. If you've ever been to the keys you'll know the water there is bright blue. The water in the gulf and the bay is dark green. Dark green = high nutrients.

Old 03/06/2004, 01:30 AM
Registered Member

A couple of years ago I collected a bunch of sand and Gulf water from about 20 ft of water and set up a 20 gallon tank with a 100% of the sand and water coming form the Gulf and then moved a pair of clowns into the tank after a few months they started spawning.

Many years ago when I first moved to Florida I would wade out about waist deep into the Gulf off Siesta Key in Sarasota and collected all of my water for my fish only tank.

Red tide would be the biggest concern I'd have with local Gulf water, Bay water would definatly be a bigger risk for a veriety of things. If you have access to Gulf water it would worth trying in a manageable size tank and I would try it with a fairly new tank not a heavily stocked tank, just not worth the risk. Although I haven't added any Gulf water in the last year and a half or so, I occasionally would be collecting a couple buckets of sand and figured since I was adding sand form the gulf I might as well add some Gulf water at the same time so I'd dump 10 or 15 gallons of Gulf water into my established reef tanks. Never had any problem with it.
Old 03/06/2004, 01:44 AM
ANCHOR member

bgdiving,
What do you think about starting a 205 gal. tank with NSW, and stocking it slowly. I would get the water approximately 15 to 20 miles out in the gulf in the Hernando county area.