Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/29/2006, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

Xenia problems.Dying???!! help!!

Ok so i got a piece of xenia last night. They were pulsing in the bag when i had them getting use to the water and temp ect.When i put them in the closed up a bit. Today i moved it about 2 times for them to open.Right now theres about 3 of them thats head (the top piece) is a ball.They are all grey. I am uploading pictures now.There in a nano cube 12 gal dlx great lighting and flow. Why wont they open!?!? please help!!
Old 10/29/2006, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about that. My first batch did the same thing. I have always had hit & miss luck with Xenia's. Check you levels & make sure everything is within NSW.
Old 10/29/2006, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

Yeah the levels are fine.I dont have my test kit right now but i know its ok. My zoas,ricordea,and leather that is coming back to life are doing great.
Old 10/29/2006, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

Sorry for the horrible quality of the pictures.
Old 10/29/2006, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

Wow, they dont look so hot. Even when mine close it's not like that. Xenia's are pretty hardy and should do good anytime. They look like they are in some sort of shock, wether it be lighting or water param's. Hard to tell. I would definitely check the water qual. How did you acclimate them? Float or drip?
Old 10/30/2006, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

I floated the bag every five minutes i added a shot glass of the tanks water in.But i got some bad news.When i came home today i found them melted???And yes they were like melted.My zoas,trumpet coral,and anenomes are doing great.
Old 10/30/2006, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear the bad news. It's always so hard to say what knocked them off without knowing your water param's are. Good luck.
Old 10/31/2006, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

Keep the frags in the tank, even if they totally dissolve. Mine actually dissolved and have come back from the dead.

Don't give up on them, but if they do get worse, just forget about them. They may surprise you.

Thanks
Brock
Old 10/31/2006, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by baondayko
Keep the frags in the tank, even if they totally dissolve. Mine actually dissolved and have come back from the dead.

Don't give up on them, but if they do get worse, just forget about them. They may surprise you.

Thanks
Brock
I wish u told me this yesterday there gone i took them out.*sigh* they were 6 dollars and they were just getting worst they melted
Old 11/03/2006, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

I have had the same problem. My water quality is fine i have it checked weekly in my nano. All of my other soft coral has done fine except my xenia. Mine don't usually go that quick though. For me they will do fine for about two weeks and then suddenly get smaller and smaller and then they begin to "melt" just like yours and i just gave up on them. Luckly mine come from and friend for free who has no trouble keeping them from overtaking his tank. So you are not the only one.
Old 11/04/2006, 02:05 AM
Moved On

it is a hit or miss coral. i frag them and i have had tanks that they dont do well in...not many but it does happen. i noticed that they need a decent amount of flow and decent lighting. hth. keep your head up. if you did get them growing well you would probably be kicking yourself in tha butt in about three months when you have to frag them and throw them away bc nobody wants them.
Old 11/04/2006, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

same thing happened to me, my xenia was rampant - I was persuaded to upgrade my skimmer, which I did. Tank going well, esp my acroporas and montis, but the xenia died back to nothing and is now gone.

Presumably the more powerful skimmer, skimmed out some nutrients which the xenia thrived on.