Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/03/2006, 04:49 PM
Premium Member

8' 125 gal getting started!!

Well after a long time waiting I'm finally getting my 8' 125 up and running! At 8' long and 15" wide this is deffinetly NOT your typical 125, but I'm ready for the challenges it will bring. The first challenge was getting it home... I used a newer Jeep and folded down all the seats. It was a few inches from the dash and back end with the hatch closed, but it squeaked by....

Old 06/03/2006, 04:51 PM
Premium Member

Next was the fun part of getting the stand built. This was my first wood project EVER (outside of that key holder cut out in the shape of a pig I did in middle school) but I'm really happy with the way it's turning out so far. Here is a few pictures of the skeleton work that's all done.

Old 06/03/2006, 05:21 PM
Team RC Member

Sounds neat but that's not a very wide space to work with.
Old 06/03/2006, 06:02 PM
Premium Member

What it lacks in width it MORE then makes up for in length.... besides, it's only a measly 3 inches narrower then yours....
Old 06/04/2006, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

Not sure if you got the stand covered or not but you probably want to put a support on each corner that fits snug between the top and bottom rails. If you dont unserstand what I mean take a look at the pics of my stand. This will keep the weight off the screws.

cham - "Taste it, if it tastes like poop.....it is."
Old 06/04/2006, 09:48 PM
Premium Member

The support in the middle is stationary and I used the metal brackets on the joints on both sides (4 brackets total) so I think it will be enough. I'm going to use 2 20 gal tanks adjoined to make my sump. I do have the cover wood installed, I'm just waiting for photobucket to load them! *takes forever* then I'll post pictures of that....
Old 06/04/2006, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

good work. Keep em' coming.
Old 06/04/2006, 10:42 PM
Moved On

Location: From NYC, currently serving time in Hattiesburg, MS
How do you plan on putting the jeep on that stand?
Old 06/04/2006, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

Might want to beef up that stand a little LOL Nice looking job,
MAKE SURE YA POST SOME TANK PICS WHEN YOU GET IT UP AND RUNNING. lOOKS LIKE IT SHOULD BE AWESOME !!!
Old 06/05/2006, 12:21 AM
Premium Member

Looks great so far.
Old 06/05/2006, 07:18 AM
Registered Member

looking good. and i agree i don't think that stand is gonna colapse anytime soon
Old 06/05/2006, 07:43 AM
See Ya ;-)

That stand was a knockoff of mine, I paid $$$$ for a patent and still no word.....do I get royalites? hahahaha

Looks great, keep it coming....the 20's linked together???
Large bulkheads? Just curious, not being nosey.

GRant
Old 06/05/2006, 10:13 AM
Premium Member

Yea, with advice from Travis I'm probably gonna go with 2 1.5" bulkheads for my sump. I've contacted a glass shop locally that will cut holes for about $5 a hole. I have a 20T and 20L that I plan on using. I've decided a 55 won't give me enough room to work, and I already have the 20's. I did get a lot of inspiration for my stand from Grant, that's for sure!! I also used some inspiration on the removable panels from Tat2demon.... pics to come on that!
Old 06/05/2006, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

stand looks fine,, good job
Old 06/05/2006, 08:10 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

looking good. keep updating!

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 06/05/2006, 08:31 PM
Premium Member

I cant wait to see the aquascape pictures ... if you can pull it off I might just tun my 4 foot 120 into an 8 footer
2 150W 20k MH
Gravity Fed H&S AF150-F2001
Eheim 1250 Return
2 Maxi-Streams on Swirler Steins
Aqua Jr
Tunze Osmolator
Old 06/05/2006, 09:26 PM
Premium Member

Well I've gotten most of the canopy completed. I used 2 30" piano hinges on the top. Due to it's narrow width it tends to want to tilt forward a little. I used a piece of wood on the back and was wondering if this would be a good spot to mount my ballasts??

I know it's not a good idea to put them under the stand, and I've seen some people mount them on the top of their canopy. If I could mount them on the back I think this would be ideal, it would keep them out of sight unless I needed to get to them, and would add some weight to the back so it doesn't want to tip forward when opening it. The tank is going to be a ways away from the wall, so I don't think heat will really be an issue. Let me know your thoughts, I think I will try mounting them on the back of the canopy to see if it's enough weight, or too much, this way I know if it will be easy to open. Thanks guys!!
Old 06/07/2006, 10:29 PM
Premium Member

After waiting a while to get my pics loaded I have a few updates. I've finished putting on most of the Killz. Here is a picture of the stand all taken care of:

I've also gotten the front and side panels completed. You'll notice they are whole sheets and there's no cutouts for doors....

The reason I've gone this route is because I want a different look then what I'm used to seeing. I haven't quite decided exactly how I'm going to finish these panels, I want to get everything up and running first, and then focus on the panels after things are running smoothly. The thing that will makes putting off finishing these panels until later possible can be seen here:

You'll notice that there are latches on the side panel. These will be easily accessible from the side of the stand, and will expose the latches for the front panel once they've been removed. This allows me TOTAL access in a moment, without having to worry about doors and permanent side panels. Since they are removable, I will be able to finish/modify them at my liesure!!

One final note is my canopy. I've gotten most of this finished as well. I bought 2 30" piano hinges that I've used to open it, and I've gotten 2 coats of Killz on the inside. I have my lighting diagram pretty much figured out, and once the Killz completely cures I will get everything bolted up. I know the first thing that will be on EVERYONES mind when they see the picture.. "Man, that thing looks TALL!" The reason for this is because my main concern is heat. I'm hoping that a combination of 4" fans, a good height of the canopy from the water, and the fact that the tank will be in the basement, will prevent me from having to purchase a chiller. Here is a picture of the canopy on top of the tank:

You'll notice that there are 2 of my 3 MH's on top of the canopy. This gives you an idea of just how long this tank is. I plan on using 3 MH's in the middle, and I've retroed some PC's that I had from my 75 to fill the gap on the ends. I plan on eventually adding at least one more MH, but this will work great for now. I am planning on having softies on the outer edge of the tank where there will be less flow, and less light. Up next..... PLUMBING!!
Old 06/08/2006, 04:03 PM
Moved On

looking good
Old 06/08/2006, 10:20 PM
Premium Member

Thanks. Well it looks like I just hit another major setback, my roomate who's buying the house we're in wants me out by the end of the month because his girlfriend is moving in!! Sweet, well it looks like it will be just that much longer before I get things rolling.....
Old 06/09/2006, 01:26 AM
Registered Member

that is my dream size of a tank...do me a favor and stick that thing in a wall it will take up a whole strip of one wall it would be frankly....awesome...and i hate you for getting something im so jealous of ....but i forgive you
Old 06/09/2006, 10:58 AM
Premium Member

Lol, thanks. I'm just renting now, and I'm guessing by the time I buy a house I'll have an even bigger tank by then!!
Old 06/10/2006, 03:13 AM
Registered Member

where did u get a tank of those dimensions anyways? did you have to special order it?
Old 06/10/2006, 09:02 AM
Premium Member

Yeah it was special ordered. There was actually 2, the other thread is on RC as well for the one just like it.
Old 06/25/2006, 06:21 AM
Registered Member

No doors FTW!

Any updates?

Oh and Im the one with the same tank as hoover. (Shameless plug for my link )

cham - "Taste it, if it tastes like poop.....it is."