Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/12/2006, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Cleaning Filter Socks

My question came to mind after from Mihn's post about the filter sock group buy.

I'm curious how to clean the filter sock I currently have or if I need to buy new ones whenever they need changing. Do people soak them in bleach or is that a no-no?

Just curious if I can clean them or need to buy new.

thanks for any help.
Old 03/12/2006, 11:26 AM
Novice Expert

I wouldn't soak them in bleach. I did read somewhere where a guy was washing his in the washing machine, and his wife out detergent i nwith them by mistake.

I just turn them inside/out and spray them clean with a jet nozzle on the hose. I have about 6 that I rotate, and this way I only clean them every other week or so.
Old 03/12/2006, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

In the W.M. inside out but don't let your wife (or husband) add detergent. Some people add a tiny bit of bleach and an extra rinse cycle. After a hang dry in the sun (if we ever get any around here again) the bleach goes away. Each felt sock does have a certain lifespan and they're cheap enough to ditch after 10 washes or so, but it depends on how dirty you let them get before you wash them.
Old 03/12/2006, 11:46 AM
Novice Expert

"but it depends on how dirty you let them get before you wash them."

Rich, were talking your "filter" socks...right?
Old 03/12/2006, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

Yes! If you turn them inside out... you can double the lifespan.
Old 03/12/2006, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the advise guys! I really appreciate it. Off to cleaning the tank (and filter socks) I go!
Old 03/12/2006, 02:15 PM
Premium Member

Like Rich said, I usually turn my filter socks inside out and then run it through the washer twice. No bleach and no detergent. Then I air dry it.

Minh
Old 03/12/2006, 06:43 PM
Premium Member

I use the washer, also and add a very small amount of bleach. I usually rinse them three times and then air dry.
Old 03/13/2006, 01:07 AM
Premium Member

I had been just washing them, rotate between three. But started to remember that degergents had a lot of phosphate and chemicals for sents that might leach back in. I read in another post guys throwing bleach only without detergent in to the wash cycle and air drying.

A couple of times now I have done just that and make sure to turn the gunk out, but for added measure stick them in the tub to rinse out any left overs and let air dry. They turn out REAL clean and have not seen any ill affects what so ever. I usually replace it right before a water chance to further decrease any contamination. But I am sure that any level that COULD be in there is small at best.
Old 03/13/2006, 02:47 PM
Premium Member

I soak my filters in a bucket full of water and a couple splashes of bleach for a day. I then rinse out the bucket and wring out the filters and soak in tap water with water conditioner for another day. Tank seems fine.
Old 03/13/2006, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

I always hosed mine out with a garden hose and nozzle, then into the washing machine with a light dose of bleach. Double rinse, then, if they still smell like chlorine, another rinse with a good dechlorinator. Hang outside in the sun to dry, and good to go. Gotta be careful however, because the nylon ones don't tolerate bleach very well...