Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/20/2005, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

Question What Do You Use As A Chiller In Your Jbj Nano's?

As everyone know summer is coming really soon. I dont have a chiller and am not planing on buying one ( to much money). My tank is getting pretty hot already. So i would like to see some peoples homemade chillers in they jbj nano cube's. I dont care if it's a fan or a bag of ice (share want you got). I need some idea's now before summer really comes.
Thanks Joe
I've served my time in Hell."
Old 04/20/2005, 05:06 PM
Who wants to trade frags?

i just purchased a small thermo electic chiller/heater from aqua medic that cost 250. was expensive but well worth it. thats probably not what you were looking for but that is just my two cents.

-seth
Old 04/20/2005, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

umm i heard you can put icecubes in a bag and put it in the back. But i have central air soo i never have that problem.
Old 04/20/2005, 06:35 PM
Premium Member

Many large tanks don't use chillers, relying on fans blowing across the water surface. Even if you're blowing room temperature air that is hot, the air movement will provide some cooling effect.

Following that simple and cheap philosophy, I cut some rear vents and put a scroll fan to blow air in. You can read about it
here

It's been working out pretty well so far, cooling the tank and getting better oxygen exchange.
Old 04/21/2005, 01:27 PM
Teeam Gary!

My cube is at work and the AC is not running on weekends. I lost a few softies over Fourth of July weekend last year. I set up a small desk fan that blows over the top. Every night before I go home, I open the little front part of the lid. On Fridays, I prop the whole lid up with the little side lifts. That way it still gets light but allows the air to cool with the fan.
The new improved cubes come with fans in the top.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you can get rid of him for a whole weekend.