Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/12/2005, 09:44 PM
wish I was here

anyone had trouble with a 12G JBJ Nanocube running hot?

My girlfriend has been complaining that her fish were gulping for air the past couple of days in her 12G JBJ nanocube, and I have been trying to toubleshoot (from 3.5 hours away) her problem.

I made her do a couple of 20% water changes, which helped temporarily (clue here, I think), but only for a day or so.

I questioned if she had put anything new into her tank or anything had fallen in - nothing.

Then, I had the bright idea to ask what the temp was - she said 84. I thought, oh there's the problem. Well, I told her to turn the heater down and she said she tried but wasn't sure if she did anything. It stayed hot.

Long story short, her lights and heater have been off for about 5 hours now and the thermometer still reads 84. But, out of the water it reads 78. I don't think it's quite that hot in her room.

So, do you think the thermometer is off? I told her to go buy a new one, but she said the water still felt warmer than normal.

Anyone have any experience with the JBJ nanocubes running hot all of a sudden? Could the pump be obstructed?

Again, I'm sorry for lack of information, but like I said, I'm not present to inspect.

Thanks for the help!
Old 04/12/2005, 09:55 PM
Premium Member

Many recorded incidents of a "bad" pump. Turn it off and see. Most people replace it with a Mini-Jet 606.

You might also want to open the front (feeding) flap. The new Nano Cube designs don't provide much ventilation in the area between the splashguard and the water surface. This hinders water-oxygen exchange and cooling down of the tank, both potential causes for what's wrong with the fish.
Old 04/12/2005, 09:57 PM
Reef Central Addict

The pump they come with run hot and many people replace them.
It's not the DX model right?
If it's the OG cube you can also try adding two fans.
Old 04/12/2005, 10:03 PM
wish I was here

thanks for the input guys.

she's get the canopy open so that should help a little bit.

I'm sorry, but i have no idea what model it is.

I had her unplug the pump and we will see if that was the problem.

Thanks again guys!
Old 04/12/2005, 10:07 PM
Reef Central Addict

THE DX model comes with fans.
The OG doesnt.
Old 04/12/2005, 10:09 PM
wish I was here

oh. well there are no fans in the canopy.

she's had the tank for almost a year and a half and no problems until this week, so i'm thinking the pump sounds like a more likely culprit than the lights.

then again, it was the first warm week of the year, so maybe it's just a little warmer in her room and her heater needs adjusting.
Old 04/12/2005, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

what if you just add another pump in there and leave the stock pump. so that you would have two pumps running.
Old 04/12/2005, 10:51 PM
wish I was here

the issue is not whether the pump is running or not, it's whether or not it's generating heat (as per the first post)
Old 04/13/2005, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

I have the newer version with fans and I have to watch the temp. If I open the tank flap and turn on the ceiling fan in the room it lowers the temp a degree or two.