Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

well after spending a few hours in home depot trying to figure out a cost-effective but cool way to build my tank into my closet, ive come up with a couple ideas. once i get the digi camera back this week ill post some pics so everyone can help me make a decision. the ulitmate decision really depends on wether or not i need to move from a 15H sump to a larger 20H, 20L, or 29g. if i have to get a larger one, ill be building a custom stand inside the closet and the whole thing will probably end up turning into a closet makeover never-ending and always spending DIY project. if i can keep the stand i have now and use the 15H, im looking at a rod and curtain set up that should give it a "night at the theatre" feel
Old 12/18/2007, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

Hmm, this sounds interesting.
Old 12/20/2007, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

its a go on the curtain-encased in-closet tank idea. i picked out some nice black velvet curtains and theyre off getting cut to size and finished up. once i get the digi cam back ill post some pics. i know how people hate updates without pics. ive recently been switched over to 12hr workdays, which needless to say, is detrimental to my abilty to maintain an presence on the forum.
Old 12/20/2007, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

Nice tank siwelk. I think that skimmer's gonna treat you well on that system. I think you're going to wish you had a little more control over than manifold though. Like, split it in two with two jets on each, to leave your options open for some alternating current in the future, or (this would look ugly) some valves half-way between each of the return jets so you can control the flow to each. Looks good though, I'll follow along.

Hofstadter's Law -
It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Old 12/20/2007, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

thanks mathias, i see what you mean about the manifold. im still going back and forth between about 3 different manifold configurations before i glue it all together. wish i had the digi cam so i could post a few new pics. hopefully ill get a new one for xmas so i can stop having to borrow my gf's...even though i got it for her. ive been pretty busy lately and dont have much to update other than the new curtains im putting in. i tested the curtains ability to keep the light in before i sent them off to be cut. the heavy fabric allowed very little light to escape. when i fit-tested them i really liked the look it gave. almost like an aquarium theatre. im looking forward to the final product.

i also spoke to Jeff from Lifereef about an overflow with custom dimensions to fit over my pvc plumbing on the back of the tank. he responded quickly and was great to deal with. im still trying to decide on the nano prefilter or the slimline 600gph prefilter. i know that im only looking for 300-400gph through the sump and im concerned that with the 600gph overflow i wont have enough velocity going through the U-tube to keep air bubbles from accumulationg. im also afraid that if i went with the nano (400gph) it would limit me too much in terms of flow in the future. i do like the smaller dimensions of the nano prefilter though. it takes up considerably less room inside my tank than the 600gph one. also the custom dimensions i need raise the price from $119 to $149. now i need to decide if its worth the extra 30 bucks to keep the plumbing or if i should save my $ and move the "T" down to make room for the prefilter.

lastly, ive been thinking about going with Marco rock instead of FloridaLiveRock.com. i really like the Marco rock, and i dont have to worry about pests. its also extremely porous, cheap and great looking once covered in coralline. i have an specific aquascaping in mind which consists of 3 pillars connected to each other with boomerang shaped pieces of tonga shelf, creating bridges or stairways between the pillars. im thinking about getting 25lbs of marco rock and some hand-picked kaelini shelf from PA to make the bridges and also seed the marcorock. im thinking about picking up the marcorock soon so i can get it curing and it will be ready to go in the tank with the PA kaelini to kickstart my tanks cycle.

i guess thats all for now. i promise not to update again unless i have pics.
Old 12/20/2007, 07:42 PM
Premium Member

Very nice start. Can't wait to see more!
Old 12/20/2007, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

cool start mate!
you mentioned "in-wall" design for your tank.I dont know how much hhi ht be but here is what i have done with my nano.i had to have it in my room 'cos my housemates could not be convinced that a fish tank is what we NEED in the living room!!lol anyway here a few pics made they can give you ideas.any questions let me know!

3x24w t5 luminare(2x14K marine white,1xactinic)
V2 400 skimmer
Old 12/21/2007, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mahalamata
cool start mate!
you mentioned "in-wall" design for your tank.I dont know how much hhi ht be but here is what i have done with my nano.i had to have it in my room 'cos my housemates could not be convinced that a fish tank is what we NEED in the living room!!lol anyway here a few pics made they can give you ideas.any questions let me know!

thats a nice set-up youve got going there. thats too bad you cant keep it in the living room. i actually decided to move my tank's location from my office to the living room so it could be more of a showpiece. i nixed the in-wall build idea, but ive decided to use curtains to enclose the tank and stand, making it appear to be set in the wall at least. ill be posting pics when i get it all set up, im hoping it will give the appearance of an aquarium theatre...which is what im going for. id really like to find an old antique "Now Showing..." sign to hang above the closet trim to complete the look.
Old 12/21/2007, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/NOW-SHOWING-MARQ...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12/21/2007, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

or this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/i650-b-Now-Showi...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12/21/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

well i got the digi cam back today so ill update a few pics. nothing fancy, just to give you an idea of the tank placement. the closet i had originally planned on using was in my office and had 3 built-in shelves on the left hand side. i decided to relocate to the closet in the living area to maximize viewing. this closet does not have shelves other than the top one, so i will either be making some or putting in some sort of free-standing shelving. the closet rod i got at HD. it expands from 6' to 10'. ill be putting that up when i get my curtains back and ill update with a few pics once everything is in its final place.

from the corner of the living room between the couch and loveseat for reference.

Old 12/22/2007, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

funny story...

so i was about to call up Jeff at Lifereef yesterday to place an order on a custom slimline 600gph prefilter when i started wishing i could just get my tank drilled. when i bought the tank a couple months ago i called the manufacturer (Perfecto/Marineland) to verify which, if any, of the sides were tempered. the lady i spoke to told me that all sides were tempered and that i couldn't drill it. i assumed she knew what she was talking about even though it seemed strange, and continued on to plan my tank build under the impression that i wouldn't be able to drill it. i figured that before i ordered the Lifereef id call Marineland and ask them again about my tank. i spoke to a guy that informed me that my 30g (36"x12"x16") was, in fact, not tempered on any side. soooo, long story short i now have to redesign my plumbing and see about a glass shop to do some drilling for me. i researched about different style overflows and tried to figure out where i wanted to put the internal overflow box. at first i decided that i would put a 3 sided internal overflow in the center of the back glass, and have the tank drilled for a durso style overflow with a 1" drain and 3/4" return. i planned to run the return up over the internal overlow and use a Y loc-line fitting with nozzles to provide surface agitation. i also wanted to plumb for a closed loop as well. the idea was to be able to use the return manifold i had already made.

then i found the Herbie method thread on RC, and decided this is what im going to use. it seems that this is the best method for a silent tank with no air bubbles. i figure ill use a 1" bulkead for the main drain and a 3/4" bulkhead for the emergency drain. ill also have an CL intake drilled and plumbed from the bottom of the back glass, through the internal overflow and out to a strainer intake inside the tank.

i wanted to keep all drilled holes within the confines of the internal overflow box. i plan to use a gate valve on the drain line to adjust the water level inside the internal overflow. the return will still be a mag7 throttled back and returned via two 1/2" PVC 90 elbows over the top of the tank. the return manifold will stay mostly as it was previously configured with the addition of 3/4" 45s off the split-T's in the corners instead of 1/2" reducing 90 elbows. id like to replace the flow of the two Koralis 3s i had planned on using, therefore id like to have a CL pump capable of pushing ~1700gph (one K3 = 850gph). i was thinking of using a mag18 to achieve this. id like to mount a stand behind the tank to hold the mag18 and plumb it up the the CL manifold with four 3/4" 45degree outputs. the CL plus the return from the sump should get me around 2000gph, or 40x turnover. this brings up a couple questions i have:

1) since both my return and CL manifold outputs are on the top of the water will there be enough flow created at the bottom of the tank? are the four 3/4" 45degree outputs going to be able to provide adequate flow in a 16" tall tank? (note: each CL output should be pushing ~ 400 gph). i want to use a CL to keep the clean look and if i have to add a PH for a dead spot it just defeats the purpose.

FWIW i plan to have a pillar style aquascape so the rockwork will be relatively open.

2) is there anything wrong with putting a ball valve on each of the sides of a "T" on the CL manifold?

sorry for the crappy sketches, i dont have any form of electronic artistic expression other than paint.

id like to be able to adjust the flow to each side of the CL manifold so i can get different ratios of flow per side. id like to also lower the flow a bit until i try to move on to SPS. i didnt know if there was any rule about restricting the output from a CL pump. if anyone can confirm/deny this please do.

even though i have to do some re-planning im still stoked that i can get the tank drilled and not have to mess with a HOB overflow to risk flooding. if anyone has any comments on other types of overflows please feel free to share them. i decided on the Herbie style due to its ability to make the overflow and drain whisper quiet and minimize microbubbles in the sump. everyone whos uses it says it works great. im also new to researching and implementing closed loops and manifolds so if anyone can offer any suggestions or alternatives id appreciate it. i dont have any confidence in working with acrylic so i thought about ordering a pre-made internal overflow from wetdryfilter.com

http://www.wetdryfilter.com/internal_overflow_boxes.htm

less than $100 shipped for your custom dimensions. seems kinda pricey but i dont see any good alternatives...at least locally. has anyone had any experience with these? i havent had a chance to do any reasearch on them yet. them seem to be of good quality. after i get my xmas shopping done today ill probably head over to HD to get some PVC fittings and bulkheads for the drain lines and new CL manifold. ill have to wait until after xmas to make arrangements to get my tank drilled at a local glass shop. when i inquired about possibly getting the tank drilled previously they quoted me at $10 per 1" hole. that sounds decent enough to me. ill be moving on with said plans after xmas, giving everyone time to chime in with any improvements or suggestions on my design. again, im a noob to the drilled tank scene so please forgive me for any oversights or complete ignorance. TIA.
Old 12/22/2007, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

siwelk, hello I found you by accident late night when I posted a question about the nova extreme pro. Someone gave me a link about how the Grim Reefer was going to check them out. I can't wait for the results, keeping my fingers crossed. They look nice. also I looked at the signs you listed. I like the idea how the neon would look againist the black velvet. Did you see the fish one? They make loads of them,17 pages.I didn't go threw them all yet.Will be tagging along also I love tank builds in progress as well as the pictures lol who dosen't ? Best of luck to you. Happy Holidays!!!!!!!
Old 12/22/2007, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Deb91
siwelk, hello I found you by accident late night when I posted a question about the nova extreme pro. Someone gave me a link about how the Grim Reefer was going to check them out. I can't wait for the results, keeping my fingers crossed. They look nice. also I looked at the signs you listed. I like the idea how the neon would look againist the black velvet. Did you see the fish one? They make loads of them,17 pages.I didn't go threw them all yet.Will be tagging along also I love tank builds in progress as well as the pictures lol who dosen't ? Best of luck to you. Happy Holidays!!!!!!!

hi deb,

im also patiently waiting for the results from the Nova Extreme Pro testing. id like to see if i made a good investment or not. i havent looked at all the signs yet, i just looked at the ones that pulled up in my search for "now showing." ill have to check out some others, i think a neon sign might be a good contrast against the black curtains. thanks for tagging along, the more the merrier. i hoping more people will chime in and give me some pointers and advice. id rather not go at this alone and make avoidable mistakes.

Happy Holidays to you too btw.
Old 12/27/2007, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

Happy belated Holidays everyone,

Havent had much time to update lately, due to the holidays and all. Not too much progress to speak of, however, Santa turned out to be a lot more generous with me than i had anticipated. Consequently, I am expecting a rather large delivery from both DrsFosterSmith.com and MarineDepot.com after the New Year.

Heres a list of the equipment/supplies that made it on my wish list:

2 - Hydor Koralia 3
1 - API Master Saltwater Test Kit
1 - API Master Reef Test Kit
1 - TLF Phosban reactor w/ PhosBan media
1 - 150W Stealth heater
1 - MJ1200
1 - MJ400
1 - 160gal bucket Reef Crystals salt mix
1 - Chemi-Pure (1pk)
1 - MagFloat (small)
2 - 1" double-threaded bulkhead fittings
1 - 10' 3/4" ID vinyl tubing

everything minus the plumbing supplies were on sale. got the K3s from marinedepot.com for 20% off. also got most of the stuff from the Drs. from their 25% off sale. i also picked up the rest of my plumbing supples from HD. as soon as my bulkheads come in im going to a local glass shop to get it drilled. which brings up a question i have about hole placement. (quoted from a post on RC)

"i have a 30g that i would like to get drilled for a herbie style overflow. my tank is only 12'' deep. i know theres a general rule to keep the diameter of your hole away from the edge of the glass but if i do this for a 1'' bulkhead (1.75'' hole) then my internal overflow box will have to be almost 5'' deep, which is nearly half my tanks depth. would it be ok to drill the holes 1.25'' from the edge instead? this would allow me to use a 4'' deep overflow. also, could i place the two holes the same distance apart from one another? im taking the tank to be drilled next week so any quick help would be appreciated. thanks!"

if anyone has any input on this i would appreciate it ^

im also looking at ordering a 25# box of Marco Rock once i get all my equipment together. i had originally thought that it would be almost spring before i got my tank cycling. due to the unexpected gifting this christmas (as well as selling my xbox 360 ), i was able to move the date up a bit

lastly, even though i wont be adding my substrate until after my tank has cycled, i began looking at the caribsea ocean direct and natures ocean bio-active live sand. im currently using 5lbs of caribsea ocean direct in my tom deco 3 and i was thinking about using that for my 30g.

40lbs of the caribsea is only $35, whereas the natures ocean is $25 per 20lbs. (drsfostersmith.com) im not sure which grade of the caribsea OD the Drs. carry, the Caribsea website lists a oolitic grade and an original grade. i want the original grade, and im hoping this is what the Drs. carry. I also really like the look of the black sand, even though ive heard of it looking dirty and dingy. Im hoping a good sand-sifting crew and good flow would minimize this. up until recenly i was only aware of the black tahitian moon sand (which is silica based im told, so no good for my sand-sifters) and Seachem's gray coast calcite. neither of these really appealed to me. sooo, i was looking on Natures Oceans website at the live sand and found out that they had a live "black beach" sand available. well i did a quick search and couldnt find anyone who carried it so i called Ocean Direct or "WorldWide Imports" and they referred me to their New York distributor, Royal Pet Supplies. i spoke to someone who then gave me a couple names of their frequent retailers and told me to contact them about special ordering the black beach sand. Premium Aquatics was one of the names on the list so i guess ill contact them to see if this order can be arranged and get some price quotes. i really like the look of the black sand, im just hoping i can keep it clean. otherwise i think ill go with Caribseas OD in the original grade.

well thats it for now, next update will have pics i promise. if anyone has any suggestions or comments about the holes i need drilled or the substrate selection feel free...and for those of you following closely i have nixed the CL plans. i didnt get any feedback on my ideas and i decided that a CL was just a little more "involved" than id like to get at this point. so i switched back to my original idea of 2 K3s for flow.

peace up, A-town down

-kyle
Old 12/27/2007, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

heres a good place for overflows http://www.reefmania.net/products-overflows.php and its alot cheaper than wetdryfilter.com

--------------------------------------------
Steven
Old 12/27/2007, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sjm1978
heres a good place for overflows http://www.reefmania.net/products-overflows.php and its alot cheaper than wetdryfilter.com

awesome, thanks for the link. the wetdryfilter.com overflows seemed overpriced. i would order one from reefmania, but ive since decided to go the DIY route after i called my local plastics place and placed an order for 3 pieces of black acrylic. total cost was just under $18. i still have to get a tube of weld-on though.

im going this route so i can go with a "toothless" overflow for better surface skimming. its cheaper and easier to DIY than one with teeth and its a more efficient skimmer. maybe i can check with reefmania and see if they can just make me one without teeth, im not sure how confident i am in my acrylic welding abilities.
Old 12/30/2007, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

hello?
is there anybody in there?
just nod if you can hear me.
is there anyone home?
Old 12/30/2007, 09:24 PM
Premium Member

Sure without teeth is an option.

Bob
Old 12/31/2007, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

Come on, now
I hear you're feeling down
Well I can ease your pain
Get you on your feet again

The downside with a toothless overflow is that your critters are more likely to find their way into the overflow. Anticipate this and take appropriate measures (like, strainers, maybe some eggcrate, etc).

Seriously, try your hand with welding acrylic - you've got time. It's pretty easy if you are patient. The most important thing is to have really smooth, flat cuts, so access to a table saw with a blade that has a high tooth count is really helpful. Go get some 1/4" thick scrap and some weldon to practice with.

Hofstadter's Law -
It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Old 12/31/2007, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mathias999us
Come on, now
I hear you're feeling down
Well I can ease your pain
Get you on your feet again

The downside with a toothless overflow is that your critters are more likely to find their way into the overflow. Anticipate this and take appropriate measures (like, strainers, maybe some eggcrate, etc).

Seriously, try your hand with welding acrylic - you've got time. It's pretty easy if you are patient. The most important thing is to have really smooth, flat cuts, so access to a table saw with a blade that has a high tooth count is really helpful. Go get some 1/4" thick scrap and some weldon to practice with.

now thats what im talking about! way to be a team player

i had already planned on fitting the opening of the overflow with some eggcrate, resting on a ledge so that it is removable for maitenance of the drains. i suppose i should just do the acrylic myself. it would be a lot cheaper. i would be having the acrylic cut to size from a local plastics company. i just want to be sure im capable of welding it together, at 90 degree angles, even from top to bottom. thats my only concern. ill probably just give it a go. even if i totally screw it up im only out 20 bucks, and i could still buy the acrylic and try it again before i spent more than it would cost to have it done for me. thanks for the input mathias.
Old 12/31/2007, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

making the overflow yourself should be easy!if you are worried about getting the angles right maybe you could build a little jig to guide you;thats what i used and i think i got pretty straight corners!
good luck
and
Happy New Year!!
3x24w t5 luminare(2x14K marine white,1xactinic)
V2 400 skimmer
Old 01/04/2008, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

First real update in about a week. i got my order from marinedepot.com yesterday. waited on the UPS man for what seemed like forever (out for delivery 6:30am, received 6:30pm). not a whole lot but some basic essentials.

2x Hydor Koralia 3s

mounted in-tank just to get an idea of size

pair of 1" bulkheads

now that i have my bulkheads i can take some final measurements so i can get my tank drilled next week. im going to go with two 1.75" holes for the herbie style overflow. then i plan on getting some black acrylic cut from a local platsics co. to make my internal overflow.

initial impression of the koralias were somewhat mixed. the pump is a little bit larger than i had anticipated but it has a good design. i may have to re-think my aquascape to compensate for the size of the powerheads but they should blend in ok. im also hoping that two K3s isnt too much flow for my tank. i know its generally a good idea to always go with a little bit more than what you think youre going to need, and from reading reviews it seemed as though the K1s and K2s were slighly overrated in terms of flow. the K2 and K3 were the same size and i figured that i should just go with the K3s even if it was a bit of overkill. two K3s + mag7 return = 2000gph in a 30g tank...just under 70x. :blush: im hoping the wider flow will still allow me to keep softies and LPS with this much turnover. im patiently awaiting a koralia controller that will give some more flexibility. the suction cup magnets are nice and provide a strong hold for the pump. so far they seem to be a pretty good powerhead, especially for the price.

lastly, i called Marc and ordered some nice marco rock last week. 25lbs of the signature fiji. Marc was a real nice guy to do business with and called me within 5 mintues of sending him an e-mail. he picked out some specific sizes that i was looking for and i cant wait to see what i end up with. took a few days before it got shipped out, but thats understandable for the holidays. it should arrive early next week. ill definately be posting some pics when it gets here.

if anyone has a pair of K3s in a 40g or under, hows that working out for you?
Old 01/05/2008, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

Wow those do look huge in there !That does sound like over kill to me also.Why don't you post that question in the newbie forum? I bet you are dying for the live rock to come. Thats when I think the fun really starts when you spend hours looking for little critters and other good stuff that hichiked on your live rock! Meanwhile your friends and family are going to think you are a mental case lol! Who nows maybe we all are!
Old 01/05/2008, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

Wow, you're really moving along there - ordered rock already. Maybe I missed it, but I thought you weren't going to set this up and running until next summer after you moved or something.

Looks good though. I've got close to 60x turnover in my new tank I'm cycling right now, and I have similar hopes for livestock also. I'll let you know how it goes...

Hofstadter's Law -