Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/28/2006, 10:44 PM
Premium Member

Vacation Spot

Hello All,

Stacy and I are going to get scuba certified and go do some diving. I was hoping that some of you expert divers can give us some recommendations. We would like some place that is good for beginner divers and also go for some site seeing.

Viva Maya
http://www.e-travelsolution.com/rese...45&Type=hotels

Viva Azteca
http://www.e-travelsolution.com/rese...17&Type=hotels

Thanks
Minh
Old 03/28/2006, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

We honeymooned in Cozumel and the Mayan Riviera. Staying on the mainland gives you good access to the ruins and jungley fun, but I found the diving to be a mere shadow of what is found in Coz. My rec would be to spend a few days on Coz to sample some of the best diving anywhere, with plenty of beginner spots, then spending a few days on the mainland to see the topside sights there. There are topside attractions in Coz, but it is limited. Whatever you do, DON'T TOUCH IXCHEL!!
Old 03/29/2006, 12:56 AM
AKA:

As you know Minh, I had a great time with this outfit and Kauai is a great island.

http://www.seasportdivers.com/
Old 03/29/2006, 05:17 AM
Registered Member

There's always Maui and the dive boats to Molokini. They offer dives for beginners as well as advanced out there. Lots of options, good snorkeling as well, and the boats usually feed pretty well. I've done the snorkel trips on the Pride of Maui, and they always seemed to be well staffed with qualified people, and their food and drinks were good too... (can you tell that the food is as important to me as the rest of the trip?)
Old 03/29/2006, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

The whole Gulf and Mayan Rivera got hit pretty hard by hurricanes last summer. Topside is being rebuilt, but I hear the underwater sights leave a bit to be desired. Have you thought about the South Pacific? Fiji & Tahiti are a bit on the spendy side, but if you're looking to impress Stacy with your romantic side...
Old 03/29/2006, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

We are leaving on a cruise April 9 for Hawaii, 14 days. I'll let you know how thw diving is when we get back. Locally Taho (high altitude dive), Monterey, Bodega Bay. are some local places we take our begenning classes to. Where ever you go have a great time and enjoy.
Old 03/29/2006, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

Arlan and I are going to dive in Kauai the end of May, we will let know you what our experience was. We have been in Maui and it was ok, but Tahiti was better, but a whole lot more expensive.

Rian
Old 03/29/2006, 03:29 PM
who?

Sandra and I stayed in Small Hope Bay (Bahamas) last December. There was quite a bit of diving going down (blue holes, tounge of the ocean, multiple reefs) among the 20 or so guests that it accomodates. Very cool place if you're into off the beaten path. Very laid back, excellent food and open bar 24/7 all included in the rate (a lot less $ than Tahiti or Fiji). Two thumbs up from a non-diver.

http://www.smallhope.com/Diving.html

I emphasize off the beaten path though, this is not club med - if that's more your scene you might not dig it.

Visit our club: NVReefers dot org
Click my red house to visit my blog
Old 03/29/2006, 04:49 PM
Novice Expert

Rich-
Did Belize get hit hard as well?
I'm not a diver, and never been to Belize, but I have seen some remarkable footage come out of there, and to my knowledge it isn't very expensive. Also, it's the only place South of the US where the language is English.

You can also do some inland excursions to Mayan/Inca ruins, and tropical jungle.
Old 03/29/2006, 09:24 PM
taking a break

The great barrier reef was where I first snorkeled. It's great for beginners as they have you watch a movie about everything on the boat ride to the island where you snorkel from. The water was about 86 degrees in mid April and the water was very clear with lots to see obviously, any they provide submarine tours too that are really neat.
Old 03/31/2006, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

Beqa Lagoon Resort
http://www.fiji-islands.com/marlin.html
Old 03/31/2006, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Daniels
Did Belize get hit hard as well?
I'm not sure about Belize, but I think Karen was evacuated from Coz just before one of the many force 5's hit last year.

Bonaire in the Dutch Antilles is a killer place to go, but it's a very sub-tropical, desert-like climate. By far the best Caribbean diving I've ever done, and all of the dives we did except one were from the back of a pick up truck.
Old 03/31/2006, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

Hey Rich -

It was great talking to you about diving. Thanks for all the useful information!

Minh
Old 03/31/2006, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

I talked online to someone I met from Belize. She said that the diving is good there now. She said anytime between now and July would be great. She advised to stay in Caye Caulker rather than San Pedro as the rates are more reasonable.

Hope you both have a great time wherever you choose.