Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/20/2005, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

Getting a New D-SLR

We're seriously considering upgrading from our little Pentax digital camera to a D-SLR. We're having a whale of a time deciding, because so many of the entries seem very, very good.

My husband used to be quite the shutter bug, but he got tired of spending money on film processing and dragging all that stuff around. We've both taken to the ease of using a really small digital camera with none of the bulk of an SLR and no film processing.

Anyway, we want to take good pictures again. These are the cameras we're presently considering:

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
Canon EOS 20D
Nikon D50

What do you think of these? Any other suggestions?

We want to be able to outside "action" shots -- which are impossible with shutter lag. We also want to take "macro" shots of stuff in the tank.

We've read several reviews of these cameras and they seem really solid, good choices. But how to chose?

Thanks.
Old 09/20/2005, 10:48 PM
Keeper of Brown Corals

I think you should consider the D70 instead of the D50. But IMHO, out of all the cameras you listed the 20D has no competition, and is leagues better than any others you listed.

But, in the end... It doesn't really matter what body you choose - you need to choose an entire system. Look at accessories and stuff like that.

Of course, I'm Nikon biased - this gallery was done with Nikon bodies (quite a few done with the D70):
http://www.ximinasphotography.com/ga...s.php?album=18
Old 09/20/2005, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

The nikon will be in a price range that is affordable.. LOL I'm jealous!
Old 09/20/2005, 11:02 PM
Keeper of Brown Corals

Don't forget, you'll need to buy a lense, and if you want to do macros you need a macro lense too - it all adds up pretty quick.
Old 09/21/2005, 12:13 AM
Registered Member

Gregory,

Your photos are breathtaking. Are they all shot with digital cameras?

I understand, that the whole system is what counts. And since my old 35 mm system is Minolta, I'll be starting all over.

Do you think we'll be as happy with the Canon system over the Nikon system if we chose the 20D?

We're not professional photographers, even though my husband does have some skills. Will we really see and feel the many hundred dollar difference between the 20D and the D50?

Thanks
Old 09/21/2005, 01:12 AM
Keeper of Brown Corals

Thanks - yes, all shot with digital cameras. There's stuff in there from a $99 2mp digicam to a professional DSLR.

You won't go wrong with either the D50 or the 20D - the 20D is a much better machine, but is it worth the difference to you? It all depends on your shooting style. You may not care for some of it's more advanced features and stuff, then the D50 will do fine. Bottom line, in a standard 8x10 print, you'll be very hard pressed to see any difference.

Since you have a minolta system, you may also consider the Minolta 5D (or the 7D), as you'll still be able to use your lenses and stuff with it - it also produces high calibre images, and has the plus of having anti-shake built into the body, so you're old lenses will have anti-shake to them, kinda like a free upgrade.

With Canon & Nikon, anti-shake is built into the lenses cost extra.
Old 09/21/2005, 12:39 PM
sarcastic reply expert

well it seems to me that you are comparing apples to oranges. The Canon 20D and the Nikon D50 arent very well matched.

If you want to get (at least a little) closer to a direct comparison you should compare the canon with the D70.

Long story short is if you can afford a 20D with a standard 17-85mm lens, for the same money you could get a D70s with a 17-70mm DX lens, 70-300mm telephoto lens, and a 60mm Macro lens for all relatively the same money.

I got my D70 with 17-70mm, 70-300mm, 2 gig microdrive, nikon carrying case, UV filters, USB card reader, and a few other minor accessories for $1500. Then i got a 60mm macro lens from B&H for about $400 after rebate... so i got all that for about the same cost as a 20D with 1 (non macro) lens.
Old 09/21/2005, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

It might be just be but all three of those camera body doesnt really matter. Anyone of them is fine. What matter most is a high quality lens. Sure, the 20D is better than the other two but for most purpose, you'll do fine with the D50 or the XT. But if I have to choose though, it would be 20D, D70, rebel XT, D50.

Just about two months ago, I was in the D-SLR market as well. my choice was pretty much like yours minus the D50. I went in Ritz Camera and tested all three. The 20D is nice and very fast but it's about 50% more than the D70s. The Rebel doesnt fit in my hand right; too small. And the lens included on the Rebel is not as good as the lens kit in the D70s.
I got a D70s but I found myself spending more money on lenses than the camera body in about a month.
Old 09/21/2005, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

When I said the Rebel, I meant the Rebel XT(350D)
Old 09/21/2005, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

The suggestion about Minolta is very interesting. The anti shake in the body might be a real money saver. While the Minolta bodies are a bit more expensive, can't a lot of money be saved on not having to buy longer lenses with anti-shake?

My Minolta stuff is old. I mean, as in Pre-Cambrian. OK, that's an exaggeration. My lenses are 20+ years old! So, I'm not at all sure that the mounts would fit or that I couldn't get much better lenses that are much lighter. They are really heavy. And the truth is that I'd like to have better quality lenses now.

By the way, is there an issue to consider about selecting lenses so that they will fit the mounts on future 35 mm d-slr bodies?

Thanks for all your help. I'm learning a lot. In the next few days, we'll go to a store which has all these cameras and try to make a decision. Don't worry, we'll shop the net to get the best prices.
Old 09/21/2005, 09:53 PM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
My lenses are 20+ years old!
They may not be compatible.

I have also read that for some older minolta lenses to work on the 7d the anti shake has to be turned off.

Hanlon's Razor:
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."
-Anon.
Old 09/22/2005, 04:47 AM
Keeper of Brown Corals

Yeah, that's what I'd sugguest - bring your favorite lenses down to the LCS and test them out - take a look at the 5D also - it's about the same price as the D50.
Old 09/22/2005, 06:42 PM
Fishaholics Anonymous

i wouldnt go with the d50 id go with the d70 but i am a huge canon fan and like all the digital rebels or if ur pockets are deep enough the mark II cameras make some amazing pics one of them is even 12.4 megapixels but they are like 5 grand plus a few hundred more for the micro harddrive they store pics on

nano-cube dx
65 gallon african cichlid tank
2.5 gal betta tank

Adam
Old 09/22/2005, 11:42 PM
Keeper of Brown Corals

Ah... That's what I used to say about the D50 - why not just get the D70. But you have to see the pics from the D50 - Nikon's lowest noise camera, ever - even better noise response than the DR 350D. If you're willing to live with it's limitations, it's a pretty good choise.
Old 09/24/2005, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

I am a huge Canon fan and for good reason. if you have the money to spend, don't base you choice on what is cheaper, the Nikons are less money for a reason. I have a Nikon that I use with a housing ofr underwater photography. I am not really impressed with it, but I haven't shelled out the $1000 for the UW housing for the Canon. Go hold them, look at them and a good camera shop will let you shoot some test shots in the store.. If you want the best macro lense on the market for around $500, the Canon 100 F2.8 Macro is unbelievable !!!
Old 09/24/2005, 09:44 PM
Premium Member

Wow, Gregory, when is your reef photography class starting? I'm in! You have one of the best portfolios I have seen and you've got a terrific photographer's eye.