Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/09/2007, 08:10 AM
Registered Member

Like shooting fish in a barrel

Oh shut up, and kiss my fairy wrasse. ~Gawain1974~

silly girls make stuff hard ~drauka99~
Old 08/09/2007, 08:14 AM
living life 2 the fullest

Yea she is a fantastic dog, and i would strongly agree with getting one, and thank you. And the other thing is not many people have these types of dogs in general, i have only seen one other enlgish bull terrier and that was when i was at the vets.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 08/09/2007, 08:19 AM
Registered Member

I love bullies~! They are the funniest breed I've met in a long time. And sweet as the day is long! I've only come across three in my time and two were flyball dogs, the other an agility dog. All of them worked with a smile.

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. - Edward Hoagland
Old 08/09/2007, 10:17 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

Allie - Bull Terriers are very unique and quite cute IMO. I love that egg shaped head.

Remember that Min Pins and Dobes are completely seperate breed and aren't a smaller or bigger version on one another. They are very sleek and beautiful animals though.

I've always been interested in Ridgeback's but I don't know much about them...what were they bred for? Hunting game? I'm off to do some searching.

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 08/09/2007, 10:28 AM
Simply Complicated

I know that the MIn pIn and Dobies are different but most don't and I hate trying to explain, thanks for stating it though.

The Bullies are so very cute and from what I hear very loyal also.

The Ridgeback I have come from a breeder in MO. We looked everywhere and there are only 3 breeders in the US(then). The Ridgebacks are used for lion hunting and human tracking but not in a good way. The claws on them are so long and hard it can litterally give you one nasty gash. Xena gets excited and has ripped hubby's leg open before just playing around.
Thier upper body strength is wild, it takes both of us to make her lay down on her side. The nieghbor would race her down the driveway and clocked her on a regular basis @ he says 32 mph. I can't say for sure becasue I've never doen it. But she manages to beat him down the driveway every time.
Old 08/09/2007, 10:33 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

Allie - I was wondering about that. Many do ...yet some don't. It's just a little quirk of mine that it gets to me if people think min pins are "small dobermans"...sorry just me being goofy.

HOLY CRAP they are like a super dog!! Like a bully breed w/ freakish strength and athletic ability! Now I HAVE to read up on them! They are a beautiful dog..thanks

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 08/09/2007, 10:40 AM
Simply Complicated

No problem they are a great breed IMO. Maybe not the smartest but very loving & do what they are told and trained to do. I have a fence around the house and a gate at the end of the driveway. People are amazed that she will not cross that line or go thru the gate. We taught her to lay on one single cushion on one of the 3 couches when she was 5 mos old and if she gets in the house she goes right to that cushion, even though that couch is no longer there and we changed the furniture, it's still the exact spot it was when she learned it 8 years ago. Always do what they are told and trained to do & never forget a thing.

Hey I'm happy that you stated the difference in them. Most people don't believe it anyway.
Old 08/09/2007, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

Aliie, got alot of wild lions roaming around Atlanta?

FYI, my MIL's cousin had 2 ridgebacks in Sweden. Loved those dogs more than the kids.

Oh shut up, and kiss my fairy wrasse. ~Gawain1974~

silly girls make stuff hard ~drauka99~
Old 08/09/2007, 10:49 AM
Simply Complicated

No but we do have wild pigs and she can take them down before they kill the cats and goats. She doesn't like snakes and will claw them to death without getting bit somehow.

Not surprised to hear they are loved more than kids. Like I said very loving and always do as they are told.
Know any kids like that?
Old 08/09/2007, 12:58 PM
The only GreenMako

Nice! Im loving the pits, they truly are misunderstood. Here are some pics of ours.

FrankiJo (tri colored blue beagle) 3YO

Cooper (American Foxhound- 4months in this pic) and FrankiJo when it was a fair fight...lol

Cooper (about 9months old here) and FrankiJo about 6months ago...it wasnt a fair fight for long.

Coopers "mean face" ... if you knew his you'd know how funny this is...lol. He doesnt have a mean bone in his body, he was in a play bow barking when he pulled this look off...grrrrrr.

-mrs Makoj

300Gal SPS tank
Old 08/09/2007, 03:11 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

Mrs Makoj - My in-laws have a beagle. He is the cutest little guy. I call him a perma puppy. He is so small he looks like a puppy. I don't think he is even 13" tall...IIRC 13" is the shortest beagle in the AKC

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 08/09/2007, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

My GSD on the day she passed

I am looking to get a APBT,amstaff, or something big like a bullmastiff or south african boerboel

"Am I gay for seeing a musical with two girls?" ~LOL hmmm ~

"A good kick in the nuts solves everything"
Old 08/09/2007, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

Pics are two years old. I need to get some new ones to show how our dogs filled in. They are now 3 years old.

Me on the right, holding my boy Frisco. Friscos bro on the left, neighbors dog Buster.

Old 08/09/2007, 08:38 PM
hobbyist

Our American Bulldog, Rudy[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket[/IMG]
Old 08/09/2007, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

Here's cosmo. As far as I know he is a papillion, he is about 6 years old. He is a great little dog. He is very well behaved, and soooo lovable!!!! I would really like to get one or two more dogs. Once we have the room for it.

Old 08/12/2007, 12:22 AM
The only GreenMako

Quote:
Originally posted by roxy25
My GSD on the day she passed

Does she have curly hair? Shes adorable!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
Mrs Makoj - My in-laws have a beagle. He is the cutest little guy. I call him a perma puppy. He is so small he looks like a puppy. I don't think he is even 13" tall...IIRC 13" is the shortest beagle in the AKC

Lunchbucket
Yeah, they are definately "perma Puppies" as you say...lol. Ours is tiny too. She ways 20lbs and I doubt she is 13inches (even though thats what she is registered as). And people who say beagles are 'low-maintenance' have never had one

-mrs.makoj

300Gal SPS tank
Old 08/12/2007, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

Our greater Swiss Mountain dog Hero. Can't find the file where my wife hid his recent pics???
as a puppy
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
almost grown
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Last edited by sufunk; 08/12/2007 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08/12/2007, 12:54 PM
Premium Member

Here are photos of our six year old Corgi and 1-1/2 year old English Bulldog:

Last edited by Snook65; 08/12/2007 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08/12/2007, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by makoJ
Does she have curly hair? Shes adorable!
some working GSD have curl/wavy hair around the shoulders , she only had it in that area. most pics you see online or in books for dogs, they are brushed out lol

Old 08/12/2007, 01:34 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewsmart
American Pitt Bulls are banned in the uk. We had alot of children attacked no doubt down to careless owners.

That is a mighty pretty dog you have there.
you still have plenty of pit bulls,

also any pit fighting bully breed with a bad owner is scary.
Old 08/12/2007, 01:40 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
The funny thing is that the APBT has absolutely ZERO human aggression built into it. When they fought bulls or other dogs the owners were right there with them and if they got bit by that dog the dog was immediately put down no questions asked so it's weird that people are getting attacked by these dogs. Animal aggression...some of that is built in but human aggression NONE. This just goes to show that people either: 1) abuse the animals to make them mean or 2) they have genetically messed up dogs. There are breeds that have some human aggression built in but this isn't one. They are a product of bad owners treating them bad and making the breed looks like some nuclear weapon w/ teeth when in reality the were the NUMBER ONE dog for families and families w/ children in the 1940's. Heck they were Americans "poster child" and were featured on Ware posters in WWI and WWII. Something has gone terribly wrong (and it's not the breed) to take "America's Dog" from #1 to Public Enemy #1 in a matter of no time.

Sorry...owning one of these dogs is as much of a political or educational thing as it is an animal lover's thing. I just want to speak as much as possible so my dog doesn't get banned in our great country

Lunchbucket
Wow the Lunchbucket knows his pits Do you get the gazette? as far as temperment boys are harder than girls, most of the time. Pumpkins grandson Hellmutt is the sweetest dog ever and his grandma is hard to beat, her sleeping in the pillows is the way she has spent the last 15 years.

my father has owned over 20 pits and has never been bitten him, now he has an airdale (sp?) that dog bit me 5 times in one day.
Old 08/12/2007, 01:49 PM
clownfish fan

Bucket on the pit bull/ Rhodesian Ridgeback front.

There is a dog called the florida Curr dog bred to Hunt wild boar. its mostly pitbull and ridgeback.
The ridgebacks while good for lions were too timid for pigs, and the pits would get mauled by trying to kill the pig for you, so they mixed them and when i was young in the 80s they were new, now they are well known and i think a real breed. great loyal healthy strong smart dogs. Not as Pretty as a Pit.

i cant find much info but this guy has them...
http://www.a-wild-boar-hog-hunting-f...ial-dec-05.htm
Old 08/12/2007, 01:53 PM
clownfish fan

aha spelled cur.
these ones heard cattle super cool
http://pets.webshots.com/album/135090282EYVJgw
Old 08/12/2007, 02:01 PM
clownfish fan

some pics of them "holding" the pig.
http://www.ronsguideservice.com/boar.htm

FWIW i dont like hunting with dogs. they get hurt too often.
Old 08/12/2007, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
[B] and the pits would get mauled by trying to kill the pig for you
There are a lot of gamebred breeders that hunt pigs with pits with no problem ........

you can get a ton of info here

http://www.game-dog.com/forums/