Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/16/2007, 08:32 AM
Premium Member

I need help fast, I think I am going to loose everythin in the next few hours

I suspect a dead seahair, I can not find it and there is a fishy smell

well something big happened at 6:15pm this evening, OPR dumped from 300 to 150, water is cloudy, a couple of corals are mucusing... most look pretty good.. I added some amquil, about 1.5 pounds of grc, 25 grams of GFO wetted up my skimmer, cleaned my filter sock and am about to do a 30 gallon water change

Old 11/16/2007, 08:33 AM
Premium Member

I think I am going to have a total loss, so far, red cap has turned pink, xenia is not going to make it.. it is all wilting.. torts and acros are holding up ok.. once they start to go it is over
Old 11/16/2007, 08:34 AM
Premium Member

right now I am decideing wether or not to rip everything out to look for it, I am trying to figure out if it is going to turn a corner or just keep getting worse, no rtn yet... but the xenia are still having a hard time. I am thinking another water change... I have to go but ro water 2X30% in 5 hours... that is prety rough
Old 11/16/2007, 08:35 AM
Premium Member

well i just added 50 ml of amquil and another pound of carbin. I need to get som esleep, orp is up to 170 but the xenia are are still P.O.ed, my frustrating purple with green berrys 6"acro, is no longer brown, it just bleached in about 40 minutes..hmm if it lives, maby it will look better. I have to get some sleep
Old 11/16/2007, 09:10 AM
Premium Member

any advice on doing another 30% wc or perhaps 40%
Old 11/16/2007, 09:15 AM
TANK RAIDER!

water changes at this particualr junction IMHO is the only way to go plus tons of carbon, and wet skim.

There's a lot of variability in temps as well as ph I wonder?
Old 11/16/2007, 09:17 AM
Premium Member

the ph graphi s in the sump right next to the effluant, the tank does not move anywhere near that much... the temp is within .5 degrees
Old 11/16/2007, 09:22 AM
TANK RAIDER!

got it took a look at the graph again.

Water changes carbon and see how things develop over 24 hrs good luck.
Old 11/16/2007, 09:55 AM
Premium Member

thanks, i don't think I have 24 hours... how about a tiger cucumber, do they have toxins?
Old 11/16/2007, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

Are you seeing any improvement at all? How much stuff is your skimmer pulling?
Old 11/16/2007, 10:38 AM
Team RC Member

If faced with a total tank crash, I'd make up good salt water and an intermediate 'wash-off' bucket, move everything out, dip and swish in the intermediate bucket, put into clean salt water and keep the water moving. It can't be worse than a tank with toxins and ammonia loose.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 11/16/2007, 10:42 AM
OT Slaughter House

WC and tons of carbon.......

Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die, and don't forget real men have their own balls. (Tonya?) Spay and neuter your pets.
Old 11/16/2007, 10:43 AM
OT Slaughter House

Oh, and good luck! Keep us posted....

Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die, and don't forget real men have their own balls. (Tonya?) Spay and neuter your pets.
Old 11/16/2007, 11:12 AM
Premium Member

Do you have a friend that can give you 10 gallons of his tank water? I second what sk8r wrote, dump them into different water. I've done this before with success.
Old 11/16/2007, 11:49 AM
Premium Member

Can you move your corals to your QT tank?
Old 11/16/2007, 01:24 PM
Premium Member

no qut tank... tons of sps I am thinking either my tiger cucumber spewed something or the seahair. things have stabilized... very badly, no rtn yet but most of the corals have bleached to some extent or another. I am keeping the lights off to reduce respiration.. could a powerhead have blown up and released copper or poison??

I think am going to do a 40% WC, II just finished RB treatment, and have done 5 successive 30% weekly WC including last night
Old 11/16/2007, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

I know people have already said it... but I can't agree more. Run carbon.
Old 11/16/2007, 03:20 PM
cnidarian vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by gasman059
water changes at this particualr junction IMHO is the only way to go plus tons of carbon, and wet skim.
That's about all you can do. Good luck.
Old 11/16/2007, 03:21 PM
King of the white corals

I too agree with sk8er.

I would get at least your favorites out at any cost ASAP when something like this comes up.

No sense watching them MAYBE pull through......get em out, and then figure it out.

jmo

Good luck, sorry to hear of your troubles.
Old 11/16/2007, 03:59 PM
Premium Member

well anyone got room for a 12" cali tort and a 7" surf n turf? i am sure I can find someone for the superman and sunset monties
Old 11/16/2007, 04:12 PM
Premium Member

just an update, I tested for:

amonia 0.0
nitrate 0. very trace amounts... i kind of expected this
copper 0.0

I am doing a 40 gal water change. right now i have 20 gal in the sump adjusting temp and ph

i put sechem hevematal binder in the media reactor

I am suspecting either a cheep powerhead I was using for my chato leaked somthing or a spawning event.. nothing else makes sence
Old 11/16/2007, 04:20 PM
Premium Member

Good luck...!!!!! I will have my fingers crossed for you..
Old 11/16/2007, 04:27 PM
Premium Member

If you have access to a diatom power filter that might also help. They will remove a ton of junk out of the water column.
Even just putting your corals in a 5 gallon bucket with fresh water will help them.
Sounds like you had a bacterial bloom of some type.
Good Luck!!!
Old 11/16/2007, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

I hate to see you lose that awesome tort and surf n turf. If it will help you id be more then happy to hold on to your prized pieces for awhile. The tort frag i purchased from you is doing quite well. Let me know if there is anything i can do. I got some fresh oceanic mixed with RO/DI. (about 40gallons worth ) Or we can get some NSW and i can bring it to your house ( i think i can fit about 50 gallons in my truck with 5gallon jugs )

let me know.
Old 11/16/2007, 08:27 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SirLight1337
I hate to see you lose that awesome tort and surf n turf. If it will help you id be more then happy to hold on to your prized pieces for awhile. The tort frag i purchased from you is doing quite well. Let me know if there is anything i can do. I got some fresh oceanic mixed with RO/DI. (about 40gallons worth ) Or we can get some NSW and i can bring it to your house ( i think i can fit about 50 gallons in my truck with 5gallon jugs )

let me know.
thanks i am going to take you up on that.. I think i am going to let the tank settel till tomarrow night. the ORP is holding fast at 147.. that is not good, I would expect to see it creep up.. I think 25-30 gal of scrips would be a good thing