Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/16/2007, 02:50 AM
Registered Member

Large tank from ATA?

hi everyone, i am considering butying a large tank from ata and having it shipped to me in phx az.

i am looking at 120x48x 24. i talked to a guy named jay and he quoted me 2800 for the tank and 900 for a steel stand. this is by far the best deal on this size tank so far (havent heard back from glasscages yet).

is their quality any good? do they really have a lifetime guarantee on no leaks or bowing? just looking for some local opinion experience on their tank making skills.
thx
Old 11/16/2007, 03:03 AM
Registered Member

i would never trust what they say about guarantees. that having been said, i know someone that bought a custom tank from them and i was very impressed by the build. he was also very happy w/ the tank build.
Old 11/16/2007, 03:44 AM
Registered Member

put it this way, you get what you pay for, thats pretty common with everything else
Old 11/16/2007, 04:07 AM
Registered Member

they have the cheapest price with the "cheapest" customer service...did you talk to them in person or over the phone?

it's funny b4 i got my tank, i asked them about the price. First i email them with excatly what i want, and then they replied and told me i have to call them. The next day, i called jay, and spent about 10mins on the phone to tell him excatly what i want and expecting to get a qoute...but all that, he then told me i have to go there in person to get a price qoute..WTH...

before all those mess happen, i went to the store in person, and i was looking for some dry goods .However, after 40 mins of driving, i was very disappoint cuz i spent about 25 mins just walking in the small store waiting for someone come talk to me, but guess what ? they didn't care...

anyway, if you really looking for a size of tank like that, i wouldn't risk it...imagine if anything happens...it would be REALLY BAD....for smaller size tank, you can probably give it a try, but for the size you want, if it's me, i would for sure go with leemar or so..

just my opinion..
Old 11/16/2007, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

i talked on the phone with jay for about 5 minutes and asked him for a quote on the phone for the tank i wanted and he gave me a quote right there, seemed like an ok guy, sounded busy in the background though. he said it would take them about 3 weeks to build also. hmmm i'll keep my options open
Old 11/16/2007, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

Ask for a place you can see their tanks locally.

Thanks
Simon
Old 11/16/2007, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

If you read the local forums you'll notice he's got a terrible reputation. I went to buy a nano that he lists as a JBJ on ebay. When I went to the store, I was told that they don't sell JBJ and they only sell the cheaper aquapod. Lots of bait and switch...

Be careful!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUAPOD-24-GALLO...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11/16/2007, 10:15 AM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
i hear is shady about his business practices.. but the tanks he sells are supposed to be very nice...

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 11/16/2007, 10:26 AM
Fantasy Coral

Didn't buy one of thier "custom" tanks, but bought a 60 gallon acrylic CFL for $149 from them.......................$30 cheaper then anyone else I priced.........Take it for what it's worth....
Old 11/16/2007, 10:44 AM
Speeding!

i have seen a few of their tanks. not bad. very shady business....i went there before i heard about the shadiness......i bought a fish that was $12. used my credit card......when the swiped it they charged $120....you know.....move the decimal trick. when i caught it the guy acted like there was no mistake....the receipt did not print very well and i argued with him until he reswiped it. ill never buy there again.

btw, im sure you can find someone on RC to build you a stand for that for about $350 less.

- Thomas Alva Edison
Old 11/16/2007, 10:51 AM
Fantasy Coral

Quote:
Originally posted by jjb81speed
btw, im sure you can find someone on RC to build you a stand for that for about $350 less.
I wonder WHO may be able to do that????
Old 11/16/2007, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

so a steel stand that is 10ft long 4fthigh and 4ft wide should only run about $600?
that sucks that they try and rip you off with the credit card thing. i would have to pay by credit also because i'm in phx,az. i am just looking for a tank and stand, i already have all the necessary equip for it.
Old 11/16/2007, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

with their reputation and business ethics, lifetime guarantee is not worth much. not to mention you will be hundreds of miles away, I doubt you will get any customer support. I hear he has a family member who builds the tanks for him - the guy works for seaclear. i've had the bait and switch pulled on me too.
Old 11/16/2007, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

I would buy if you were located here and could see physically the tanks. I don't think that if you buy from Phoenix and something happen to the tank he will guarantee you. He is always changing his mind, maybe next week if you call him back he will give you another price.....
Old 11/16/2007, 12:18 PM
Speeding!

Quote:
Originally posted by AMD30
i am just looking for a tank and stand, i already have all the necessary equip for it.
nice tank size. what skimmer are you going to run? are you going to use the same equipment from your 300gallon?

- Thomas Alva Edison
Old 11/16/2007, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

AMD, seriously you are asking for something that's almost 600 gallon...why do you want to save that lil amount of money and buy it from somewhere that's so far away and with lots of negative reputation ?

also is it really worth the money to pay for shipping on the tank and stand ?
Old 11/16/2007, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

I purchased a custom 80 Gallon tank from ATA drilled with a built in overflow all glass except the overflow and everything was to my exact dimensions and workmanship was very nice and I believe it only cost me around $300.00

In my case I was very pleased with my purchase
Old 11/16/2007, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

i am looking for a large tank quick because my old 300 has a crack in the center brace due to me putting a MH over it and not knowing that it would cause it to crack. i dont have 6k or more to spend on a large tank from AO or AGE or any other top shelf Co.

i will be using a bubble master 250 and an asm g4. if shipping is to much then i will just go pick it up myself and rent a uhaul or something over there in Cal. you guys have Uhaul right? or some other kind of moving rental trucks? lol
Old 11/16/2007, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

IF YOU BUY A TANK FROM ATA, I'LL WAIT TILL YOU POST A BASHING THREAD ON ATA AND I'LL JUST WRITE, " WE TOLD YOU SO" ..........

THESE GUYS ARE AS STATED IN THIS THREAD "SHADY" !!!! I WOULD NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM EVEN IF IT WAS THE LAST LFS IN THIS AREA. I HAD A TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE WITH THESE CLOWNS... THEY ARE VERY RUDE AND WILL LIE TO MAKE A SALE. JUST LOOK AT THEIR PRICES ON RECYCLER AND CRAIGSLIST. FOR EXAMPLE, THEY WILL SAY THAT LIVE ROCK IS $1.99 L/B, BUT WHEN YOU GO IN, THEY WILL SAY "YOU HAVE TO VISIT ATA.COM FOR THE UPDATED PRICE... *** !!! THEY WILL THEN TRY TO SELL YOU ROCK FOR $4.99... THEY ALSO SAY FREE CATALINA WATER FOR ALL CUSTOMERS WHILE SUPPLIES LAST... NO FREE WATER HERE, BUT I CAN SELL YOU OUR TANK WATER FOR .99 A GALLON.... OH, AND DON'T BUY THAT B/S ABOUT JBJ PRODUCTS... THEY LIST DIRT CHEAP PRICES, BUT THEY WILL SAY THEY NO LONGER CARRY JBJ... WHY YOU MAY ASK? THEY WILL SAY " BECAUSE WE ORDERED 5 PALLETS OF JBJ NANO'S AND THEY ALL CAME BACK DEFECTIVE." TOTAL B/S !!! THE TRUTH IS, THEY ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO SELL JBJ AT ALL. THEY CAN'T BUY THE STUFF.

BEWARE OF THIS PLACE! I DON'T WANT TO SAY "WE TOLD YOU SO"
Old 11/19/2007, 06:09 PM
Premium Member

I bought my Aquapod 24G HQI from them for $299 along with other stuff but be aware that if you are using a CC, they will charge 11% tax and fee. I would not buy anything from them again.
Old 11/19/2007, 06:26 PM
Premium Supreme Member

I would not buy anything from those guys. Their word is no good. Way too much bait and switch. And this is to local people...so you can probably imagine trying to deal with them from out of state. You better stay away and find a more reputable seller.
Old 11/20/2007, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

I was caught in the same bait and switch, but I was too new to reefing to know what they'd done to me. I saw the ad on ebay for a JBJ cube, and they sold me an Aquapod.