Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/25/2007, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

Rimless - Zen/Bonsai 5-Gallon Setup?

Hello everyone! I believe this is my first post of RC!

I am considering using a 5-Gallon Rimless glass tank as a Nano Reef. While I have never done SW, I have been doing FW for 18+ years - high-tech planted tanks (Pressurized CO2, T5HO high light, fert dosing and large weekly water changes using reconstituted RO/DI).

I am looking for thoughts and feedback on equipment that would allow me to run a small 5-gallon tank with very little to no equipment hanging in or on the tank.

Here is the tank:

about 14x8x10 in dimension

This is the light I think I will use:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...011~tab~2.html

I would like to find a way to suspend the light above the tank - wondering if anyone out there has done this successfully - I think you would have to drill holes in the top and build a mounting rig. If I did decide to use the legs, do they flare out to 14-inches (the width of the tank)? Is this enough light? It seems like the most light I can get for the size, barring a MH pendant, which would be too much (right?)...

I have an extra Aquaclear 20 laying around, but I may consider using an Eheim Ecco canister and custom intake/outtake hardware. I see many of you don't use protein skimmers on smaller tanks, and since weekly water changes are no big hassle to me. I am not planning on a protein skimmer on this tank - as weekly water changes are not a problem.

Am I forgetting anything?

I have no idea what will go in the tank - but want to stick to a bonsai-like setup with miniature corals, fish and inverts. Will use LR and LS from a friend at work who maintains a 300 gallon Reef - most likely.

Thanks for any thought or feedback.

Dan
Old 08/26/2007, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

dapellegrini,
I do not mean to get you off track of what you have planned, but i noticed you wanted the system to look very sleek/clean. In my opinion, the all-in-one setups may be right up your alley...

I have one of these. I do not have it running, but it is very neat.
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._1963_16907769

Hope this helps
Old 08/26/2007, 02:34 AM
Registered Member

I was planning another planted tank with this 5-gallon, with an extra CO2 tank, regulator, SMS122, filter and 26-watt light... But the light is too small and since I was going to have to throw in for a better I light, I got thinking about perhaps doing a mini reef setup (something I have always wanted to do).

I am familiar with the JBJ and Eclipse setups and do not like them. At this point the tank is the only part that is unchangeable.

Here is my newly setup 17-gallon FW tank:

I would be going for a similar look, but SW of course (and smaller)...

Here is my 72-gallon:

And a 3-gallon I used to run:

I really like the ADA tank look (rimless glass) and thought it would make for a gorgeous mini reef - just looking for advice on the hardware (light, filter, protein skimmer - if needed), etc, with the goal of keeping things out of the tank where possible.

A reef setup would be a new adventure for me - and one I think I would thoroughly enjoy.
Old 08/26/2007, 02:45 AM
Registered Member

you have the right idea ...i'm following along... this looks like it will get good
Old 08/26/2007, 06:15 AM
Registered Member

Your planted tanks are beautiful. I really like the 17 gallon. Here are a few ideas to get you started. In my opinion you can skip a bunch of pricey filters and skimmers, but you have to keep up with water changes. 25-30% ever week is a good place to start. The more the better. I like to put carbon, purigen and a polyfilter in my filter.

Plan A
You could drill the tank and add a canister filter to bulkheads on the back. If your filter had enough flow you would not need to put any power heads in the tank. You could even hide your heater in the filter.

Plan B
Hang on tank AquaClear filter and a small powerhead.

The light you chose would be ok for lower light corals but you may be happier with more lighting. Consider a 70 watt metal halide pendant.
http://storefront.addictiveaquatics....-2157-221.html
Old 08/26/2007, 08:32 AM
wm3.org

I will be tagging along ....

Tunze has a very small powerhead in which I use it for flow in my 2.5 pico reef.....
Old 08/26/2007, 09:12 AM
Touch me...Love me

Your freshwater tanks are very nice! Good luck with the reef tank

SBC

it'll make a turd - Minuteman

This thread is just about to be closed - Anemone
Old 08/26/2007, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

If you can do that with FW, I'm very curious to see what you create for SW. With a 5Gal tank you may simply want to use a HOB filter. There are some made of transparent plastic so it won't clash with your tank's design. Protein skimming shouldn't be necessary with routine weekly water changes. Good luck.
Old 08/26/2007, 10:38 AM
Professional Obfuscator

Oh! Beautiful tanks! I'm so impressed by them!
Old 08/26/2007, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

Thanks everyone. I do 75% water changes on all of my FW tanks once a week, so doing the same or less with another 5-gallon tank will be no big deal. I have a good RO/DI setup that I use, so water quality should not be an issue...

I won't be drilling this tank, but I am considering this canister in place of my AC20 HOB:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...ct~EH2232.html

Any comments on that Satellite 36w fixture? The other one I was looking at was the Coralife - but I like black better and the satellite has a moonlight. Problem is I don't think that with the legs it will fit on my tank - besides I would like to find a way to hang it. Does anyone know of a comparable or better light in this size that is made to hang? Here is what I did with my Tek light on the 17-gallon: (scroll down for pics)

http://aape.naturalaquariums.com/for...?topic=1522.29

I am ok spending more on the right equipment - so price is not really an issue - within reason.
Old 08/26/2007, 01:18 PM
*Pico Freak*

I would recommend metal halides all the way. Much better color and growth. You can also hang them relatively easy. I would recommend if I may, that you do the same thing that you did with your 17 gallon by hanging it. I would recommend a 70 watt metal halide, Maybe 14K but that's just the color I like. Ummm, here is a link to a place where you can get the halides....: http://www.nanotuners.com/product_in...products_id=39

Then you can mod it into a desk lamp and hang it over the tank like Ninjafish did.

Just throwing some stuff out there for ya, I look forward to seeing this tank develope.

-Chris-
Old 08/26/2007, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

I was also thinking about the 70w HQI AquaMedic Pendant, which I could hang like I did with the Tek. I was just concerned that 70w over 5-gallons might be more of a hassle. The upside to the Satellite is ability to run lights on two switches, plus moons - and actinics. With one 70w MH, that is kinda it, not much dusk dawn flexibility, etc.

Would 36-watts of CF force any limits on me, in terms of what I keep (knowing that whatever I keep will be small)? Would 70w MH need to be significantly higher over the water to avoid bleaching or other issues with corals?

Thanks again!
Old 08/26/2007, 02:54 PM
*MySpiderSenseIsTingling*

very nice Dan, can i ask where you purchased the ADA small class rimless tank at, and website please, thanx.
Old 08/26/2007, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

I think the 36 watts will limit you both in what corals you can keep and also how far down in the tank you can place them. In my personal experience zoanthids will tend to have duller colors under power compact lighting. Metal halides also make a very nice shimmer pattern as the light shines through the water just like you would see in the ocean or a swimming pool. The 70 watt isn't super bright and you could get away with hanging it 3 or 4 inches above. That being said you can still create a beautiful tank with the 36 watt PC and there are plenty of coral that would do just fine under it. The best thing to do is to find out what corals you want to keep and then pick a light that is appropriate for them. My vote still goes for the 70 watt aqua medic.

Chaotic Reefer are you going to set up another tank? Here is a link for you http://www.adgshop.com/Trimless_aquariums_s/5.htm
Old 08/26/2007, 03:24 PM
*Pico Freak*

Here ya go Chaotic Reefer4u. http://www.adgshop.com/

I would hang the metal Halide about 5-6 inches off the water and it would be perfect. The satellite would be fine as well. I would just drill a couple holes in the top and suspend it. I would think that it would look fine. Are you planning on keeping sps?

-Chris-
Old 08/26/2007, 03:27 PM
*Pico Freak*

You were just one step ahead of me reefer1024... So close.

-Chris-
Old 08/26/2007, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

I would prefer no limits on whatever corals I may choose to go with - so with that in mind, I think I may do a 70-watt MH. Just a quick review of my options - seems the Aquamedic 70w Pendant (I wish they made a black one) or the JBJ Clip-on are the only ones that would fit my size constraints.

ADGSHop.com and adana-usa.com both sell the ADA tanks online. I got mine from a local store.
Old 08/26/2007, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

see this link, maybe with a few changes.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1159026
Old 08/26/2007, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

Wonderful planted tanks!!! I cant wait to see your nano. Coralife makes a nice hanging kit you could get to work. I retro fit one to a JBJ fixture.
Old 08/26/2007, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

Also I would go with the halide as others have stated.
Old 08/26/2007, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

I also will bee along for the ride, looks like it's gonna be good
Old 08/27/2007, 01:05 AM
Premium Member

very nice plannted tanks i've seen them on aquaticplantcentral.com and plantedtank.net.......hope your SW tank come out as good as ur FW tanks
Old 08/27/2007, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

Ok - JBJ is out of the running. Now I am thinking either the Aqua Medic 70w or 150w pendant, or the Coralife Clip-on. Really leaning toward the AM 70w. 150w over 14-inch x 8-inch (5g) tank would be way too much, right?

I was also told that a small canister (the Eheim) is a waste of money and may cause more problems than it solves. So with weekly water changes, I guess I just need a good powerhead??? Any advice on something that won't blow the water out of the tank, and as small and invisible as possible?
Old 08/27/2007, 08:46 PM
RC Mod

I've tried the same approach on a 5.5 gallon tank. Didn't want a bunch of equipment showing. Here's how mine was done,

Overflow, with the back painted black it's barely noticeable

Return powerhead with split returns,

Put together,

With top and base,

The light died and I'm now using a DIY pendant with a 26w curley PC. IMO the 70 w would be more than adequate.

The powerhaed I'm using is rated at about 90gph but with head and elbows I'm probably moving 2/3 that split between two returns,
Old 08/28/2007, 12:54 AM
Registered Member

Your 17 gal Planted tank is Beautiful....

If I ever had a Freshwater planted tank I would want it to look like that one..

Very Cool!!