Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/19/2007, 07:01 PM
Premium Member

Question Police raid?

I once read a forum post about someone who had a elaborate tank setup in their house in which I think either the extreme lighting or the high wattage use caused local and federal authorities to raid the house. Anyone else remember reading such post/story and still have the link to it?
Old 06/19/2007, 07:04 PM
Premium Member

Nah, they would investagate you before they raided.
Old 06/19/2007, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

Haven't heard that... I would doubt that the police would raid a house without substantial cause and known information other than lights beaming from a house. I once had a bedroom that was totally dedicated to lizards and the room was setup with tree trunks a small forest, a water pond and plenty of "grow lights" and never had any problems...the neighbors did question me though LOL
Old 06/19/2007, 07:06 PM
Premium Member

Correction, didn't raid, they came to his door. But I believe helicopters were involved checking the level of heat coming from the residence.
Old 06/19/2007, 07:10 PM
Grand High Puba

They do this a lot up here in canada (with the helicopters) because there are so many grow ops and they hide them in the weirdest places. They use thermal sensors to detect the lights.
Registered Member

I remember reading this, it was linked from another thread about someone having the cops stop by I believe.
Registered Member

I remember reading that also. They didn't "raid" his house but helicopters were involoved. Thy asked if they could search and he said yes. Another one was that someone heard his wife saying her husband was cooking rock. A person got suspicious and told the cops. Sorry I don't have the link either but it was a good story.
Old 06/19/2007, 07:11 PM
Carpe Noctem

Run a few searches It's been brought up and it turns into about as hot a topic as acrylic vs. glass and which skimmer to buy Things vary from state to state as do opinions. I'll leave it at that
Old 06/19/2007, 07:20 PM
I think I love my tank

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan9
Thy asked if they could search and he said yes.
Never let them in without a warrant.
With that said...This sounds a lot like urban legend to me.
Longnose Hawkfish
Magnificent Rabbitfish
Diamond Goby
Blond Naso Tang
Bluechin Trigger

I got the poo on me.
Old 06/19/2007, 07:22 PM
Premium Member

Damn...I would question you too. Do you get out much?

Quote:
Originally posted by arts007
Haven't heard that... I would doubt that the police would raid a house without substantial cause and known information other than lights beaming from a house. I once had a bedroom that was totally dedicated to lizards and the room was setup with tree trunks a small forest, a water pond and plenty of "grow lights" and never had any problems...the neighbors did question me though LOL
Old 06/19/2007, 07:23 PM
Carpe Noctem

Edit: I'll just go to ignore me mode and not post
Old 06/19/2007, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

Yeah that was it....they asked to search and he said yes. The link to the story I believe was in the post. I've been searching and going through the forum, but probably not using the right keywords.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan9
I remember reading that also. They didn't "raid" his house but helicopters were involoved. Thy asked if they could search and he said yes. Another one was that someone heard his wife saying her husband was cooking rock. A person got suspicious and told the cops. Sorry I don't have the link either but it was a good story.
Old 06/19/2007, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

i believe i seen that on aquaria canada but i'm not 100% sure
Old 06/19/2007, 09:03 PM
Premium Member

They are welcome to check my basement, I'll pack them a bowl of detritus.
Old 06/19/2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

Im surprised I haven’t had the cops at my door thinking im growing weed I have my tank in front of the window

Speaking of grow ops
Fun fact: here in London Ontario there was a article in the news paper that said you cant walk 10min in one direction in a urban area without coming across a grow house lol
Old 06/19/2007, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

I read that also. The guy was writing in the deltec forum. Check there. I think he said the cops came 2 times. Something about cooking rocks. Will have to try and find it. I read it to my Dh and kids.
Old 06/20/2007, 03:24 AM
Premium Member

This subject comes up at least a couple times a year on here, ive never been questioned by police but a former niegbor thought i was growing weed for quite some time before we ended the rumor
Old 06/20/2007, 06:13 AM
Chillin'

Quote:
Originally posted by virginiadiver69
Never let them in without a warrant.
With that said...This sounds a lot like urban legend to me.
Thats just silly, they will come back with a warrant and tear the place up because u didn't let them in to begin with.

War does not determine who is right but only who is left.

Cody
Old 06/20/2007, 08:10 AM
Cancer Sucks

Here it is:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ight=bank+wife

"There either is or there isn't life out there. Both possibilites are frightening."
(someone help me out - who said this?)
Old 06/20/2007, 08:14 AM
Registered Member

It did happened to a RC member. He lives in a small town in the Midwest. It all started when someone overheard him talking about "cooking rocks". Authorities showed up at his door and had helicopters hovering over his house. I'll see if I can find the thread.....
Old 06/20/2007, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

Yeah that's it! Thanks Satori
Old 06/20/2007, 08:26 AM
Member of the Month

Quote:
Originally posted by crrichey
Thats just silly, they will come back with a warrant and tear the place up because u didn't let them in to begin with.
No its not silly, I work for an attorney and this is correct info. Never left police search anything without a warrant. Not even your car if you get pulled over. They ask "do you mind if we search your car", (nicely) and you (nicely) say, "I do mind."
Old 06/20/2007, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

Reef Keepers urban myth...
Old 06/20/2007, 08:37 AM
Nothing to put here

Quote:
Originally posted by r0bin
No its not silly, I work for an attorney and this is correct info. Never left police search anything without a warrant. Not even your car if you get pulled over. They ask "do you mind if we search your car", (nicely) and you (nicely) say, "I do mind."
Except the police do not need a warrant to search a car, just "reasonable cause" or a suspicion. Throwing a cigarette out the window and the cop thinking it was drugs is cause enough.
Old 06/20/2007, 08:54 AM
Member of the Month

Quote:
Originally posted by LobsterOfJustice
Except the police do not need a warrant to search a car, just "reasonable cause" or a suspicion. Throwing a cigarette out the window and the cop thinking it was drugs is cause enough.
Right, well I wasn't going to try to go into every senario possible, here just making a point.