Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/16/2007, 11:02 PM
Premium Member

this is just killing me I am stuck here at work for 3 more hours. all I can do is log in to my ACIII and whatch the orp creep up
Old 11/17/2007, 02:48 AM
Premium Member

it is all dead, all the acros, 10" cali tort gone 4 Superman gone... lps and zoas are hanging on but there is nothing I can do
Old 11/17/2007, 03:56 AM
Boomer gave me this

What about the fish? How are they doing? Keep us posted so we can at least learn from this.
Sorry to hear about it, good luck finding out what went wrong.
Chris
Old 11/17/2007, 06:39 AM
Registered Member

Awww man, I was hoping this would not end up this way and your tank would pull thru. five.five-six. really sorry for your losses.
Old 11/17/2007, 08:13 AM
Registered Member

I'm so sorry to read of your predicament. When your tank is up and running again I have a cali tort frag for you if you want it. I feel your pain five.five-six.
May everyone have equanimity, free from hatred and attachment.
Old 11/17/2007, 09:22 AM
2007 Eastern Conf. Champs

Do you have any Rio pumps? They have a history of meltdowns... Also, did you ever locate the sea hare or tiger cuke?

Sorry to hear about this.....
Old 11/17/2007, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

Man, I am sorry to hear this. I hope things turn out a lot better than your fear.
Old 11/17/2007, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

I am sorry to hear about this.
Old 11/17/2007, 12:07 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FunkieReefJunkie
I'm so sorry to read of your predicament. When your tank is up and running again I have a cali tort frag for you if you want it. I feel your pain five.five-six.
wow, thanks... I may hit you up for a frag.. I am just numb right now... I did not sleep but 2 hours for 2 days trying to save the tank

Quote:
Originally posted by SPStoner
Do you have any Rio pumps? They have a history of meltdowns... Also, did you ever locate the sea hare or tiger cuke?

Sorry to hear about this.....
all i had was an older 2100 for my return.. I yanked it yseterday..it was working fine. sehare and tiger are doing fine... this was like a tornado.. a few sps servived, acans, I think my red and purple caps may make it

Quote:
Originally posted by reefkoi
What about the fish? How are they doing? Keep us posted so we can at least learn from this.
Sorry to hear about it, good luck finding out what went wrong.
Chris
the fish are all fine, good apitite and no heavy breathing
Old 11/17/2007, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

Wow thant stinks! I had a sea hare get shredded in my powerhead and nothing died. All sps and lps fine. It has been over a year since that happened and had no ill effects....weird huh?
Old 11/17/2007, 12:38 PM
2007 Eastern Conf. Champs

Quote:
Originally posted by five.five-six

all i had was an older 2100 for my return.. I yanked it yseterday..it was working fine. sehare and tiger are doing fine... this was like a tornado.. a few sps servived, acans, I think my red and purple caps may make it

Pop the cap off the top of the 2100, the part that covers the top where the cord goes in. The epoxy seal below that is where you will see if there was any problems. The pump may still work, but if this pump is defective like many of these model, you will notice here a cracking in the epoxy and a definite smell. This could leak some topxic chemicals into the water. I have had this exact thing happen to me in the past with this same model pump. Symptoms nearly identical.
Old 11/17/2007, 03:03 PM
Premium Member

R.I.P. S.P.S.

yea, I did not see any crack in

epox
Old 11/18/2007, 12:50 AM
Premium Member

Unhappy

Did you figure out what happened? Your location is close to my house. If I found this post sooner I would have been some help. Sorry for your lost
Old 11/18/2007, 01:05 AM
King of the white corals

Man. So sorry.

get your **** together and ready to go at it again and want to pay shipping Ill be happy to set you up with a little frag pack.

I felt the pain of losing two loaded SPS tanks not too long ago and know all too well what starting over means.
Old 11/18/2007, 01:30 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by huy707
Did you figure out what happened? Your location is close to my house. If I found this post sooner I would have been some help. Sorry for your lost

thanks, it sucks, i actuality vomited on the floor when I saw my giant 10" calli all white when I got home from work. you got to understand, i broke a tip off it last Saturday, it heal over by wed and i can see the encrusting growth on the dead skeleton the tank was running so good, surf n turf did the same thing in about 3-4 days

I think it was the aquamedic moon light that fell in the tank, tank crashed at 6:15 pm, 665wife called me at about 8:00 at work to tell me that a powerhead was floating around in the tank, turns out it was the light. there is some brown liquid residue on it near the assembly cracks, it has not dried in 2 days and stinks like exploded capacitor

Quote:
Originally posted by flyyyguy
Man. So sorry.

get your **** together and ready to go at it again and want to pay shipping Ill be happy to set you up with a little frag pack.

I felt the pain of losing two loaded SPS tanks not too long ago and know all too well what starting over means.

THANK YOU! I may very well hold you to that. it will be a few weeks if not months. I want to go stock tomorrow but the biggest part of the pain is not the $$$$ and there was a LOT of that lost, many of those corals took months to find... it will be a long road, but first I want to make sure the tank is running good

the biggest hurt is that I let all those animals die, I feel so helpless and am overwhelmed with failure. incompetent and impotent.

i just wish I KNEW what happened. I sent off a water sample to AWT water testing hopefully the results will shed some light on what happened
Old 11/18/2007, 01:40 AM
King of the white corals

Quote:
Originally posted by five.five-six
I want to go stock tomorrow but the biggest part of the pain is not the $$$$ and there was a LOT of that lost, many of those corals took months to find... it will be a long road, but first I want to make sure the tank is running good

the biggest hurt is that I let all those animals die, I feel so helpless and am overwhelmed with failure. incompetent and impotent.

the worst part about it for me wasnt the LE's or popular acros that can be replaced as they are around. It was the corals I have no idea where i got them that turned into gems, dont even know what type of acro they even were, and will most ikely never even see them again. here is my 225.....I lost the 90 at the same time...... totally my stupidity and taking things for granted that caused it

im over it and moved on....but still have that sour taste in my mouth.......look at my avatar signature

Old 11/18/2007, 01:49 AM
Premium Member

was that the tank o death thread... I don't think I posted, i just did not know what to say, but I have been thinking about it a lot the last few days...

I am glad you did not give up, I have been seriously considering it lately... just finished 3 course RB treatment
Old 11/18/2007, 01:52 AM
King of the white corals

I gave up for about 47 hours I think........

Cant kill the addiction, just make those tweaks youve been thinking about that are tough with a loaded tank and come back stronger than ever

And I did surely get rid of my monti eating nudis once and for all.........
Old 11/18/2007, 08:21 AM
Premium Member

very sorry for your loss.....

Last year about a week before Christmas, I lost my 90 SPS tank that was running for 7 years +. I came home from work and the tank was 116 degrees. I lost everything.......

I told myself I was through with the hobby. Within a week, I had purchased a 180g tank, had it drilled and have started over.

I hope that it never happens again......

Good luck and have fun with the rebuild. You will be enjoying your new setup soon.
Old 11/18/2007, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

If you need the ORP up and really need it and it's not going anywhere, I think it's wise to dose some Potassium Permanganate. KMnO4... This will bring up the ORP plus oxidize much unwanted stuff... It is a last resort... But it has worked for me once...
Old 11/18/2007, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

OMG, I'm so sorry... Just jumped and posted as soon as I saw your first post... I'm so sorry...
Old 11/19/2007, 03:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flyyyguy
the worst part about it for me wasnt the LE's or popular acros that can be replaced as they are around. It was the corals I have no idea where i got them that turned into gems, dont even know what type of acro they even were, and will most ikely never even see them again. here is my 225.....I lost the 90 at the same time...... totally my stupidity and taking things for granted that caused it

im over it and moved on....but still have that sour taste in my mouth.......look at my avatar signature

wow, that is alot worse than mine

here is a little less than 1/2 my casualties, the big one used to be a gorgeous cali tort there are a couple Oregon's in there, a superman and small sunset monty

I left more than 1/2 in there several are so encrusted on rock that I will just leave them, the corraline will encrust over them and they will become live rock, I am still holding out hope for anything with that "live acropora smell" or the slightest hint of viable tissue like this decimated green slimier

Old 11/19/2007, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Damn that sucks L
I had the same thing happen last year..
Cat knocked the fuge light into the sump for a few hours…
Killed almost everything but the lps and 2 caps..
All sps gone…

If you need any frags I might be able to help you out
Keep yer head up!
Old 11/19/2007, 06:15 PM
Premium Supreme Member

Wow, just checked the forums, been busy. And I saw this thread. What a bummer. You think it could be the red bug treatment? When they go mass death from the medication, they can cause some nasty side effects. The light could also be the culprit as well.
Old 11/19/2007, 06:33 PM
Premium Member

no, the intercepter was lon gone, 2 fire shrimp and bunches of hermits are doing fine