Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/22/2007, 03:18 PM
Moved On

OT Man what a sad day it is….My poor kittens

Well we got a couple of American bobtail kittens (one boy and one girl) approx 2 months ago and everything was awesome. They were such characters and always played with each other.

About a week ago the male kitten stopped walking….It seemed his rear legs weren’t working very well and he was kind of bloated / constipated. We immediately scheduled an appt with the cat clinic. About 2 – 3 days later the girl stopped walking and had the same problem with her rear legs.

This past Saturday we took them to the clinic and it went about as bad as it could have. The Dr. told us this breed of cat usually have problems with their rear legs/ going to the bathroom. Because they have a bob tail most of the time the nerves don’t fully develop and their rear legs just give out and they have a hard time going to the bathroom (which is a problem with both of our kittens).

The Dr. then said she needed to run a bunch of tests. She wrote up an $800 estimate (which there is no way we can afford to pay ) and showed it to us…she understood we didn’t have that kind of money and insisted on trying to give them antibiotics as it could be an infection in their spinal fluid. $150 later we left the clinic with antibiotics and a couple other things…

Today the Dr. Called us asking how they are doing…The condition hasn’t improved at all so she said to bring them back in so she can look at them. So today at 5 pm we have to take them back in…She said something about giving them cortisone (sp?) shots as they might help….Another $100 out of my pocket…..Im almost broke….

My girlfriend wont stop crying, I haven’t slept in about 3-4 days…..anyone have any ideas?
Old 10/22/2007, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

I’m not sure what kind of relationship your cats has with your friends and family but I know that if we had to raise money for our dog we can count on our friends and family to help out.
Old 10/22/2007, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

that blows.....sorry to hear that Tom
Old 10/22/2007, 03:55 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
spend what you can afford.. your best bet is to look into pet health insurance ASAP...

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 10/22/2007, 04:47 PM
Premium Member

Getting insurance for them would be beyond expensive if not impossible since they have a serious pre-existing condition.

It sounds like a really terrrible spot for you to be in.
Old 10/22/2007, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

Damn man sorry to hear. I hope the kittens get better soon!
Old 10/22/2007, 05:04 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Please stand by... I'll get hold of Catdoc for you and maybe she can offer some advice...
Old 10/22/2007, 05:29 PM
Moved On

We will be going to the cat clinic again at 5pm as the Dr. wants to take another look at them to see if the antibiotics are helping them improve in any way...I dont think they are doing anything but hey maybe when I get home they will be running around like they used to...I hope
Old 10/22/2007, 05:39 PM
Premium Member

Who is Catdoc? I need a miracle cat healer too.

About your bobcat kittens, you're talking about domestic cats not real bobcats, right? In other words, Manx type cats?
Old 10/22/2007, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

Tom so sorry to hear about your cats. This is heart breaking

Simon
Old 10/22/2007, 06:02 PM
Premium Supreme Member

Pets that get sick makes reefing look cheap sometimes. It's hard to hear and I probably sound like a jerk, but sometimes you just have to give it your best shot and if that doesn't work out, you gotta cut your losses.
Old 10/22/2007, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Canarygirl
About your bobcat kittens, you're talking about domestic cats not real bobcats, right?
BOBTAIL cats not BOBCATS
Old 10/22/2007, 06:24 PM
Premium Member

aahhh....huh. I didn't know that these cats were prone to these kinds of problems.

I had a cat with spondilosis which eventually made him unable to move his rear legs. It's a very bad situation so I feel for the person who started this thread.
Old 10/22/2007, 06:42 PM
Premium Member

Not every cat without a tail is an "american bobtail" ... there are several more-or-less harmless genes that cause cats to have short or no tails, but there are also some pretty serious deformities that can cause the same thing - the main one being spina bifida, which is reasonably (?) likely to be what's wrong with your little guys.
Old 10/22/2007, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

sorry to hear that. i would contact the golden state humane society asap. they're a dog and cat clinic that is really cheap. yeah you have to get there at the crack of dawn to get in line, but it will save you hundreds. we had a dog nuetered there for 20 bucks, and full shots for something like 18. it's like medical but for animals, it's geared towards the lower income folks but anyone can go. really good vets there also...
Old 10/22/2007, 07:28 PM
It's Domo-kun

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo327
Pets that get sick makes reefing look cheap sometimes. It's hard to hear and I probably sound like a jerk, but sometimes you just have to give it your best shot and if that doesn't work out, you gotta cut your losses.
It's mostly because people are naturally more attached to their cat/dog/bird pets than other pets. Though I imagine if you had a $2000 fish that was sick, you'd consider getting help from a vet.
Old 10/22/2007, 11:04 PM
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Before this thread gets any further out of hand, let me say that posting Private Messages without that person's expressed permission is a one-way ticket to Bansville.

Also, let's try to remember to treat each other respectfully. If there are any further distractions, insults, threats, etc, I will get my ban finger going on all involved parties, no questions asked

First and last warning here folks. I removed a few posts that just didn't belong on this thread for those coming along after the fact...let's just say that violations of the User Agreement will not be tolerated.

"The wind blew, the detritus flew and then they came two by two."