Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/13/2007, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

Smile Bi-color angel

I am looking into a 45 gallon corner aquarium that has been setup for two years . its a steal of a deal and comes with a maroon clown. And its a complete setup and I am also getting 30-ish gallons of the water in the tank along with it. So there wont be any cycling.

My question is how well would a bi-color angel (dwarf angel) and wondered about two things.

A) will there be any issues with the Maroon Clown and will the tank size be enough for them

B) Are bi-colors coral nippers? I know they(angels) all can be and its hit and miss, but I was curious about this guy in particular.

Would you go with a black-capped basslett instead? I also have a YCG that will go in this larger tank so please keep that in mind with any help you're able to offer.

Thank you in advance guys!
Old 09/13/2007, 11:15 AM
reef aquarium god

i would pass on the bicolor..they are shy fish and will most likely get beat to death by the maroon. Also, bicolors are notoriously difficult feeders. im sure there are exceptions, but i belive about 75% of them die within a few weeks/months of captivity. i know i have killed one and wont try another.

a black cap basslet wouldnt be a bad choice, if YCG is yellow citron goby, i wouldnt worry too much about it. they are small and get along with pretty much everything.
Old 09/13/2007, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

THank you for the infor about the bicolor!

My YCG is not a citron, its just the regular yellow clown goby. He's my favorite current fish and doesn't nip at all on a couple sps frags I have in the tank with him.

Would the yellow clown and the basslet not get along? I can always leave my goby in the 10 gal he has right now if it may be a problem.

Last edited by PhilliePhil; 09/13/2007 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09/13/2007, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

Be very careful. I have now fully stocked my 220 without a bi-color. Had tried two at the onset, at seperate occasions, after I thought I was cycled, and both passed. These fish , IMO, are highly fragile when it comes to new tanks with amonia and nitrites. My mistake was that there were still residual traces of these elements and it killed the poor guys. They are great fish. Wait 6 months than go for it.
Old 09/13/2007, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

thank you grouper.

Normally I would wait at least that long to start stocking my tank, I learned and got burned by impatience with my old cichlid tanks in the past.

The only thing with this tank is that its still up and running and every living thing will remain in the same water and be setup in the same water (plus a 10% water change once it gets to my house). I dont think there will be a cycle period because its a full setup and wont be taken down but for an hour (including drive time and re-setting it up at my house).

I am going to be able to keep all the salt water that its in now as well as the LR, LS etc.

I dont think I will go with the bi-color though after your and sabo's post.

I would look at selling the maroon clown, but I know the couple who's selling it and thats partially why Im getting a good deal, I promised I wouldn't sell him....and I like maroons.

Does anyone have any suggestions on other fish? How many anthias would be good for a 45? I wont be able to upgrade in the near future (6+ months) so I dont want anything that will out grow my tank.....what can I say, I get attached to my lil guys.
Old 09/13/2007, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

Wow ive had exelent luck with my bicolor. He ate like a champ, and was always swimming at the front of the tank. IMO super hardy if they are eating. But most will munch on corals. I know mine did, lol. If you can find one eating, grab him up. Their fun fish, and really beautiful.

100 Gallon 100Lbs L/R, 100lbs L/S, Tek Limited Edition 6 Bulb!!
Old 09/14/2007, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhilliePhil
thank you grouper.

Normally I would wait at least that long to start stocking my tank, I learned and got burned by impatience with my old cichlid tanks in the past.

The only thing with this tank is that its still up and running and every living thing will remain in the same water and be setup in the same water (plus a 10% water change once it gets to my house). I dont think there will be a cycle period because its a full setup and wont be taken down but for an hour (including drive time and re-setting it up at my house).

I am going to be able to keep all the salt water that its in now as well as the LR, LS etc.

I dont think I will go with the bi-color though after your and sabo's post.

I would look at selling the maroon clown, but I know the couple who's selling it and thats partially why Im getting a good deal, I promised I wouldn't sell him....and I like maroons.

Does anyone have any suggestions on other fish? How many anthias would be good for a 45? I wont be able to upgrade in the near future (6+ months) so I dont want anything that will out grow my tank.....what can I say, I get attached to my lil guys.
Phil, maroons are great, just aggressive. Keep him if you can. I would love one for my sebae but he would kill my 4 Percula clowns.
Old 09/14/2007, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

Thank you scout and grouper (again).

This is crazy, I am getting a 125+ gallon tank with canopy and stand for free. I am helping a buddy clean out a house from a bad tennant and they left this tank, empty, in the house.

Score. Christmas came early this year.

So I guess I am def. keeping the maroon now, he'll have a 45 all to himself for now. I am going to try and find her a mate and nice nem.
Old 09/15/2007, 05:24 AM
Our man in the East

I had a bi color angel and it was a coral munching machine. It caused masses of damage and I had to strip down the tank to get it out. Never again. I advise you to steer well clear.