Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/14/2007, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

Well, unfortunately, my miniatus grouper died last night. It was housed at my brothers house and he was taking care of it. I don't know what happened to the fish, he ate a few days ago. Haven't really heard anything yet. I thought these fish were supposed to be hardy? There are two other fish in the tank, a purple tang and maculous angel. The grouper seemed to be boss when it came to feeding time, otherwise he'd just sit and wait for food.

Now this changes my stocking order drastically. I can add my damsels back in. I will definitely be getting two tangs, but I want other fish like gobies etc. How do you QT a sandsifter goby? They need a sand bed to survive, and if you use copper or hypo, you'll kill the sand bed?

So everyone with large angels, multiple angels, what other fish do you have? What size tank? Planning to upgrade?
Old 04/14/2007, 10:44 AM
Premium Member

Hey Too Bad about the grouper. What size tank was he in? any idea what caused his death?

For Qt of sand sifter Just Use a little box or container of sand. That way it won't matter if it is dead.

Try royal gramma, Anthias,chromis

Maro1
Old 04/14/2007, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

No idea what caused his death. I didn't even see him or take care of him. He ate the first day, then after that he didn't apparently, my brother never told me though. Then he winds up dead, go figure, wish I would have known that he didn't eat earlier. I have two aggressive damsels that would kill chromis, so they are out of the question. I have a reef tank I will be adding in a royal gramma, school of chromis, 6 line wrasse, firefish and a kole tank. When I upgrade my reef tank I will add these fish, not now, maybe the firefish though. So I want something different from them. Anthias is a possibility, they are just expensive. What kind of gobies could I use? Also, treating sandsifters, how would that work if I kill the sand bed? They would die without a live sand bed?
Old 04/14/2007, 08:14 PM
Premium Member

You should be able to get the gobies to eats mysis shrimp or brine shrimp in that situation

Maro1
Old 04/15/2007, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, I was wondering if they would. So I should have a sand bed in the QT tank anyway? Even though it will be dead, do they need to have one? I will feed shrimp to them, hopefully it will be enough. Maybe I should put up a new post about what other fish people have with their angel(s). And a post in the disease section about QT on sandsifters. Thanks.
Old 09/10/2007, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

Any updates on the angels? Did you move them to your 125?

I am planning on 3 angels in a 125 as well, regal, asfur and emperor.
Old 09/10/2007, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

wow! This thread got revived from the dead! I never got all 3 angels in the 125, but I did put the emperor&queen in! I'd be weary of adding the regal in with those angels, plus aren't the asfur&emperor from the same genus? Sorry I'm on my phone right now so this isn't the greatest reply.
Old 09/11/2007, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

how is your grey doing ?
Old 09/11/2007, 09:32 PM
Delaware Reef Club

What ever happened to the gray? I'd really like to get my hands on one. Is it still local?
Old 09/12/2007, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

I got rid of all my angels,the gray went first dodge the emperor. The other angels I was forced to get rid of. Ibelieve the gray went to RBU1, he's right over the bridge in NJ.
Old 09/13/2007, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

I hate to hear you got rid of all your angels!! But I did to. I found large angels to be wimps in the ick department. The only angle that lived ick free was my bicolor, but he was eating corals left and right so I just pulled them. I got tired of worring about which fish would have ick and having to break down the whole tank. So now I just have a pair of blue throat triggers, and a yellow head sleeper goby, lol. They have the whole tank to them selfs. Ill focus on corals and inverts and just say the heck with fish, lol. I dont have the money to by new rock, and sand to start the tank over.

100 Gallon 100Lbs L/R, 100lbs L/S, Tek Limited Edition 6 Bulb!!
Old 09/15/2007, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

Yeah,I hear ya. I actually got the ick situation under control, but due to money issues, I had to let them go. I'll eventually get a huge fowlr someday. I almost bought a nice, cheap passer angel yesterday, but I have to focus on my reef as well. Goodluck w/your set up, have any pics?