Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/12/2007, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

Giovanni, that is sweet! I cant wait for the variable flow version
Old 09/12/2007, 09:24 AM
lift it up tallways

Nice Work!

It wouldn't be a good vortech thread without someone making a comparison to Tunze.

jnarowe, TunzeBot Nice.
Old 09/12/2007, 09:27 AM

They are everywhere Ewan!
Old 09/12/2007, 09:48 AM
Premium Member

Fuzz,

Did you skip ahead to the end? I see the first and last videos have more views than the two in the middle. I bet your wait is not as long as you might thing. LOL

It will take a lot of steam out of the whole vortech vs. Tunze thing if my next DIY is to Borg the 7095 and vortech together. Maybe that would bring some peace to the galaxy and the vortechys and the tunzeys (spelling )can party together then. HEHE

Old 09/12/2007, 10:20 AM

What I really am interested in is how to maximize the AC code to control the Vortech. And to get feedback from the pump into the controller and/or AquaNotes...
Old 09/12/2007, 11:15 AM
Premium Member

"feedback from the pump into the controller" You don't want much do you. LOL. I am working on variable control with the Aquacontroller. It took me less than half a day for this DIY. I don't think variable control will take more than a month. At the moment I have my ACIII set to switch back and forth every minute.

Old 09/12/2007, 11:25 AM

As you get into this, I would like to particpate. I was quite upset when I bought mine under the supposed ability to contol them with wavemakers. When I found out that they couldn't be controlled with my AC III Pro, I was crushed. I have spent a crapload of money on the pumps and my controller system, and it just doesn't make sense that these companies cannot build in cross-product compatibility. I understand it from Eco-Tech's position, since they can get better penetration with their own controller, but for the higher-end market, I think it's a must to give the customer more than one option.

We are still in the infant stage with the Vortech, and I am sure they will continually release better controllers. In five years we will probably see units with LCD screens, main system modules, software, etc. It's just so hard to wait. Right now, because of heat issues, I can only run my pumps at about 50 - 60% (who the hell really knows?) so my tank is getting much too little flow.

If you have any brainstorms on mounting a CPU style fan on the motor and linking it to the power supply, I would love to hear about it. I envision an aluminum heat sink tacked onto the motor housing and a fan unit that clips in and connects to the power supply. Getting it to be variable based on pump temp. would be sweet too. What's funny about that is IceCap is one of the leaders in variable speed fans! Right now I have one pump with a dedicated fan that is running at 100% with zero problems.
Old 09/12/2007, 11:34 AM
Premium Member

I reeeeaaally do not want to get into commenting about what vortech or any other company did or did not do in this thread. The mods WILL shut it down. So please lets just keep it on topic about the DIY.

I think the whole keeping the pumps cool is a whole other DIY. I can see using peltier coolers and the like. Here is a link.

Old 09/12/2007, 12:14 PM

Interesting. I wonder what their cooling factor is. I am going to contact them. Thanks for the link!
Old 09/12/2007, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

These are the same type units used in the solid state chillers used in out trade. One example is the ice probe I believe.

Old 09/12/2007, 01:48 PM
Premium Member

OK here is a poor quality wiring diagram for the latest relay.

Radio Shack PN 275-241

Old 09/12/2007, 02:03 PM
TRC Leader

How come you don't have to worry about which side is positive with any of these connections?
Old 09/12/2007, 02:13 PM
Premium Member

The WW goes to a coil on the relay. It is just a coil that when DC voltage is applied it produces a magnetic field and pulls down an arm on the relay. The other two are basically a switch that either connects the two vortech wires or not depending on if the coil has power to it or not.

Old 09/12/2007, 02:33 PM
TRC Leader

If I wire up a computer fan to a DC power converter, I find that one way won't work while the other combination will.

That isn't the case with the relay? Electronics is not a good field for me.
Old 09/12/2007, 03:48 PM
Premium Member

Answering that will take a whole other show. Different time and channel. LOL

Trust me on this one. For our purposes here what I am doing works like a charm.

Old 09/12/2007, 06:29 PM
nucleosynthesis baby!

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
If I wire up a computer fan to a DC power converter, I find that one way won't work while the other combination will.

That isn't the case with the relay? Electronics is not a good field for me.
The fan requires a magnetic field moving in a certain direction. The relay does not require the magnetic filed to move, just magnetize.

Giovanni - Awesome DIY and excellent documentation. A true gem added to the DIY archives for sure!!!
Old 09/12/2007, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

MeuserReef,

Thanks for the comps. I wonder if anyone has been brave enough to try it yet. Maybe everyone is waiting to see the variable speed version before doing this mod.

Old 09/12/2007, 10:07 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Giovanni
I worked in management for an electronics control firm once and sometimes getto is what comes under the hood early on. As long as it work and no one sees it, who cares.

I am just disappointed I did not think of this a year ago. I had looked at this thing several time and was making it way to hard. Next I will work on varying the voltage electronically so maybe in the near future we can use an aquacontroller like Neptune does with tunzes and the new aquasurf.
Why not just use a 555 or two cascaded 555s to create an oscillator to drive the relay... Two pots and you have infinite settings.
Old 09/12/2007, 10:15 PM
Premium Member

Sorry... just read the rest of the thread, and see that others have proposed exactly that.

Anyway, nice hack. I likely would have not seen the obvious and been trying to hack into the drive loigc... doh!
Old 09/13/2007, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Giovanni
Thanks for the comps. I wonder if anyone has been brave enough to try it yet. Maybe everyone is waiting to see the variable speed version before doing this mod.
LOL, brave enough? Buying these pumps was the brave part.

I'm waiting to see the variable flow version first. I already have a PLC controlling everything else on my tank and want to use it to control these pumps. The PLC has two analog +/-10v (0...20mA) outputs. I'm just not sure where to start. I know enough about electronics to be dangerous so I'm learning from you guys
Old 09/13/2007, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

2, 6101's in a 30 gallon? Are you going to see anything else in the tank besides the pumps??????
Old 09/13/2007, 11:54 AM
Premium Member

Fuzz,

We can work with that. After I get the one I am working on done, I will set you up.

Down BigBoy, Down...

Old 09/13/2007, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

I'm very interested in this and I'm following the thread.
But when I seen what he posted, it almost made it sound like he worked for Tunze. Then I looked at the bottom of his signature and it said he had a 30 gallon tank. It made me think. I do know a guy who ran the Vortech in his 45gal hex.
Old 09/14/2007, 12:48 AM
Premium Member

Aquasurf your Vortech

I have reached a milestone in my next DIY with the vortech. I have interfaced Neptune's Aquasurf with the Vortech. This allows the Aquacontroller users to do all the things the aquasurf does with tunze pumps, with the Vortech. Here is a link to the Aquasurf. Note the aquasurf controls 4 pumps

In this first phase it is very simple, just using a couple of resisters for bias, an 1/8" stereo jack and mated plug. I removed the pot from the vortech but plan on keeping it in the next phase and putting the stereo jack in a new hole. This will allow you to use the vortech as usual in case the Aquasurf is not connected. I will start a new thread with all the details and a demo video, of it in action, around noon tomorrow.

Here are a couple of photos for you to study for now.

Old 09/14/2007, 01:07 AM

why does that look so easy?

Is this speed control as well, or just ON/OFF?

The one issue is that with the $50 deal on the WWD, the Aquasurf mod is not saving us any money. Not that is the most important factor of course.

I guess this would enable Neptune customers to interface the MP-40 with AquaNotes as well, and the only limitation would be that the Neptune system cannot have cycles of less than 1 minute right? I don't know how that would play into creating waves like the old MACNA video.