Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/20/2007, 10:58 AM
Premium Member

pair of dwarf angels?

I am setting up a 90 gallon and have been thinking of my stocking list. I am going to get a pair of fairy wrasses and would like 3 of either anthias or flasher wrasses. That is one or the other not both. I was planning to have a Kole Tang. I was wondering if I could put a pair of Dwarf angels ( same species) in the tank. If it would work what dwarfs would you try. I like Cherubs, Flame backs and Potters. Would a pair of one of those work. ( 2 of the dame type) If there are better choices let me know.
Old 08/20/2007, 01:13 PM
Premium Member

i have seen someone with 5 or more flame angels in the same tank. he made sure that they all were very small (so they were juveniles) and let them figure out the gender issue.
just two should work, get babies so that you dont risk buying two males. however if you get crazy lucky and buy a male female, then your set. i think they will still show some minor aggression.
Old 08/20/2007, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

i agree with buying young. "most" fish can get tolerate each other if purchased at the same time and purchased young. also, a 90 is pretty big for two dwarf angels to share, so i think you should be good.

let us know what you choose to get!
Old 08/20/2007, 04:26 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

I had a pair of agris. Just bought one larger one and one tiny one. I got rid of them when the female began to rip apart my SPS

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 08/20/2007, 09:37 PM
Premium Member

I'm interested if this works for you too. I will be stocking my pretty empty tank with only a glider goby, yellow tang, fire fish, and a clown. Thinking to get atleast 3 or 5 dwarfs for a 155 reef. Hopefully can get the LFS to order only Juvees
Ebo-Jager 250w heater
Aqua clear power head
Ehiem 1262 return pump
Old 08/20/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

It should work great!! I have a pair of flames, with a bicolor in a 5 foot 100g and for the most part they get along good. Theyve been together for about 3 months now, and were put in the tank the same day so that makes a big difference. Pairing angels is alot like pairing clownfish, SIZE!! Always try to get a nice big healthy male, and a tiny imiture female. I like the 1/2-1 inch size just to make sure they are still female. From what Ive seen most dwarfs are good in a reef. My bicolor will nip SPS, and the clams from time to time, but I still love him, lol. Just keep in mind they are angels and will from time to time nip the corals, but if the tank is healthy it shouldnt kill the coral. Good luck, dwarfs are really fun!!

100 Gallon 100Lbs L/R, 100lbs L/S, Tek Limited Edition 6 Bulb!!
Old 08/20/2007, 11:28 PM
Premium Member

Will be looking into getting some flames for the tank or maybe coral beauties.
Ebo-Jager 250w heater
Aqua clear power head
Ehiem 1262 return pump
Old 08/21/2007, 03:18 AM
Premium Member

1 big, 1 small will work fine
the problem is finding one big and one small.. lol
Old 08/21/2007, 05:48 AM
Premium Member

I would like to thank you al for the responses. I guess when I do it that will be up to Salty to find the large and the small one.
Old 08/21/2007, 06:51 AM
Premium Member

zemuron114 is right. Not a problem pairing dwarf's, I have several, just finding the right size combination. Adding at the same time is best, but if not possible it is better to add a large to a small.
Old 08/21/2007, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

Same experience. Got a large and a small cherub at the same time. They get along fine.
Old 08/22/2007, 07:56 AM
Registered Member

i HAVE a FLAME AND A CORAL BEAUTY. IS IT POSSIBLE TO PUT IN A REGULAR ANGLE (QUEEN ANGEL?)
Old 08/22/2007, 11:45 AM
Premium Member

I will give you my opinion. That opinion is no. Do you realize how big a queen angel gets. You have nowhere near the tank for one. I like several angels that get quite large but you need to have a much much bigger tank before you get a queen angel.
Old 08/22/2007, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

agreed. a queen should have a tank base of at least 72"X18"

they get about 13" long, and honestly, even if you do get one (which you shouldnt), a fish that big will look really silly/out of place in a smaller tank
Old 08/23/2007, 08:35 AM
Registered Member

Thank you guys..I really needed that. I will be getting a much larger tank in the future. Until then, I will stay with what I already have & dream about the Queen in a new tank I will be getting in the future.

thank you!