Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/16/2007, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

quarantine setup

I am setting up a q tank with a 30 long and a wet/dry filter. Should I leave the bioballs in it or should I replace with live rock? If it is necessary to use copper treatment would the liverock be ok?
THanks in advace for any suggestions.
Old 12/16/2007, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

Dont use wet dry with bio balls. Use LR and insted of using copper, use hypo solution(low salt level) to cure.
Old 12/16/2007, 09:52 PM
Premium Member

Cool thanks!

Didn't even think of using a hyposalinity solution instead of copper... that's good stuff!

Would it be worth having the main sump connected to the q setup during periods of nonuse?
Old 12/16/2007, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

No! if you use copper it will leach "INTO" your live rock and run through you main sump into your main tank and KILL every coral in it

A Q. tank should have your tank water in it (when you get a new critter do a water change and put the old water in your Q. tank)
All you need in it is a hideing spot for fish (pve tube) thats it.
Watch him for a while (few weeks) if he is fine don't treat him for anything... A fresh water dip into the Q. tank is good. If he has a problem it will reveal itself in a few weeks. (most in a few days.)

Do you get a shot if nothing is wrong with you?

Once he comes out of the Q. tank dump the water out and throw the Q. tank in the closet untill needed again.

Most importantly: ONLY medicate when needed! Because 9 out of 10 times there Will be a residual effect if done improperly.

Lucky
Old 12/16/2007, 11:26 PM
Premium Member

Cool, thanks! I know what to do now... Lets get going on this project!
Old 12/17/2007, 05:57 AM
Registered Member

Yeah it not too tough, Don't wanna sound like a jerk here. (sorry)
You would be amazed how many people say "I didn't know copper would kill my coral...

Most of the public aquariums use it in there fish only set ups, but Not the coral, People do this thinking its ok. They didn't know the coral in the public display were fake or that particular one did not employ copper. Don't get me wrong, It is very very effective but as any metal it will also be absorbed by everything in the tank
even (LR). And slowly leech back out. To many people don't know this so they use it, Then they decide they are ready for corals but they keep dieing on them.... but they just keep buying them, thinking they just bought a sick or weak one... this is so sad.

Anyway I hope you do a little reading on this (copper treatment)

Have a wonderful holiday season ok

Lucky