Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/03/2004, 07:23 AM
Registered Member

Anyone here into Paintball?

I just discovered this adrenaline pumping sport this summer. At first, it sounded kinda cheesey and didn't really know anything about it. I play with about 10 guys from the Security Department that I work for. We go out to a field owned by a farmer that we know every Friday. I used to think that it was for kids who had those cheap Wally World markers and just went around shooting at each other. We usually play with 6-10 people at a time and split into two teams. We play woodsball and try to eliminate the other team. Another guy and I have Tippmann A5's and two other guys who we play with just bought $850 Evil Pimps. Thats a little crazy for my taste. Weather is getting cold, not too much more time to play. And I don't really want to spend $70 a case on winter paint. I'll just spend the winter upgrading my marker. For those that play, where are you from? What do you have for equipment? How long have you played? And anything else you'd like to share? For those that don't play or have questions, feel free to ask any of us players. This is allmost as addictive as reefkeeping.
Old 12/03/2004, 08:11 AM
Free the Three wm3.org

I used to play quite a bit. In the last 3 or so years I have only played maybe 5 or 6 times though. It's alot of fun. We used to play in old farmhouses. That would get pretty crazy going room to room. Recently though we've been playin in the woods. Usually 12-20 people show up. I just have a spyder compact. The old style one without all the easy to spot shiny's that the new ones come with. It's an old marker but quality markers dont make quality players.
Old 12/03/2004, 11:07 AM
Got nothing

I just started playing again this summer. Used to play about 10 years but didn't like the way the game evolved. Got tired of people throwing 500 rounds a second. Wanted more of a sniper type game, make the shot count more. I moded the hopper holder to hold the old 10-rounds tubes and that is our hoppers. We can carry as much paint and 10 rounds tubes as we want but you better make the shots count. We also have a no squatting rule. Nothing ruins a game then having all 10 players bunkered down and waiting for some body to come by. We can only squat for a minute unless you see somebody coming. Had much more fun playing this way, it was an absolute blast.
Brian
Old 12/03/2004, 02:02 PM
i'm here for you two

i play it with a bunch of guys and it's fun.......we go into the woods luckly i have a atv and we pile the stuff on to it and i drive it into the woods.......i didn't get to play it too much this summer and fall due to being pregnant.........but we all dress in army cloths and divide into two teams.....it gets crazy at times.....but it's alot of fun.........the welts you get afterwards arnt' so much fun......lol

A wedding? I love weddings! Drinks all around! "Cap'n jack sparrow"
Old 12/03/2004, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

Thats cool to see others into paintball. I'm not much into the markers that shoot 30 bps either, I'd rather aim and try to hit something instead of just spraying paint like what a couple of guys do. The other day, we were out for just a few hours and one guy had allready gone through 1200 balls with his evil pimp. I got just as many people out as he did (including him) with my manual trigger A5. This winter, I'm hopping to add a stock, Red Dot sight, better barrel, either a flat line or lapco bigshot, ricochet hopper maybe new internals, polish the inside and maybe add a remote line, new camo too. Anyone here from Iowa that plays?
Old 12/03/2004, 10:41 PM
Volunteer Tang Police

I play!! simple set-up

spyder extra (12 bps nice, and steady )
20oz Co2
revolution hopper (w/ x-board)
teardrop barrel (30% increase in accuracy)
Old 12/03/2004, 10:45 PM
Me in Iraq

Do they make paintballs that don't have paint in them?

I want to shoot without leaving paint all over...
Old 12/03/2004, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

I have a Tippman Custom 98 upgraded with an expansion pack, star fire bolt, and thunder hog 16" barrel (for sniping) and 14" ceramic barrel (for close action) . I play mostly with my 2 brothers and dad on our 40 acre farm, mostly just hay fields, but it is fun! But when we have family reunions on the north shore we get about 10 or 12 of our family members and go play in the rock quarries. I have only had one bad experience playing paintball, 2 summer ago I was planning paintball with a huge group (100 maybe 200 people) and it was open play so no guns were checked and I got shot 3 times in the back of my shoulder with frozen paintballs from an automatic gun.
Old 12/04/2004, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

aquaman67, there are no paintless paintballs. The paint that is in the balls is biodegradable and washes off of anything with water. The outside of the paintballs is made of gelatin kinda like what pill capsels are made of and melt if water is poured on them.
Old 12/04/2004, 01:18 AM
Me in Iraq

http://www.paintlesspaintball.com/

Hmmmm.....
Old 12/04/2004, 08:23 PM
I'm Not Creative

I have a spyder xtra, with a J & J ceramic barrel and then the gun i mostly use is a tipman 98 with a response trigger and a flatline barrell system. Tons of fun. I usually play in the woods behind my school, but every once and a while i go to an old cement factory back home, has about 5 buildings and the center building has an eight story tower in the middle of it, nothing like urban warfare at its finest. Too much fun! I am also the paintball president for the club here at my school. I love initiating new freshmen into the club, they are always so scared, and all we do is leave them out in the woods to fret for a while....I love this sport. Oh, and nothing like taking a few shots at the proffessors who like to play, thanks for that 'D' proffesor!

Fox's newest reality show 'Fast animals, slow children.'
Old 12/04/2004, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

I've been playing for about 6 years.. I played every other week until I got into reefing I have many markers, but I use the Angel LCD with the freak barrel kit.
Old 12/04/2004, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

i had a green spyder xtra with jt 2 piece barrel, twizted products lpc, palmer stabalizer volumizer, new springs, polished internals, shortened trigger, metal hose, and a psycho ballistics drop forward..but that was about 2-3 years ago

i sold my last gun because of a freak accident where the palmer stabalizer exploded and a metal rod shot through my lower lip and took out 2 teeth -=O

fun sport though, i still play from time to time
Old 12/04/2004, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

aquaman67, thats crazy, never heard of paintless paintballs, hmmm.

bugman426, dang, I bet that was a scary experience. I've heard of tank blowing but not one of those.
Old 12/05/2004, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

yea i thought everyone of my teeth got knowched out--i was spitting out pieces of tooth--it was absolutely disgusting and blood was rushing out my lip like niagra falls
Old 12/05/2004, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

yea i thought everyone of my teeth got knocked out--i was spitting out pieces of tooth--it was absolutely disgusting and blood was rushing out my lip like niagra falls
Old 12/05/2004, 12:14 AM
Jer

i've been playing awhile too. I've got an older Spyder (when they were black and silver) with an expansion pack, different bolt, and iceman barrel. Retired my gun for the season about 2 weeks ago though
Old 12/05/2004, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

I play every once in awhile not anymore causemy dog chewed up my elbow and i havent gotten another. but u like airsoft a little better it is ore accurate and less expensive and the guns have better aimers
Old 12/05/2004, 12:32 AM
Registered Member

Hello. I guess I'm not exactly sure what the purpose of airsoft is. Do you play like you do in paintball? Don't they use plastic bb's or those small 6mm paintballs? Do those 6mm paintballs really break and mark as well as the .68 paintballs? Or are airsoft meant to be used like regular bb or pellet guns? Do they use CO2 or are they spring operated?
Old 12/05/2004, 12:37 AM
Registered Member

Airiisoft plastic bb's are great! I have wars inside of my friends houses with the pistol guns!
And in your eyes I see
What's on my mind
You've got me wild
Turned around inside
-DMB
Old 12/05/2004, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

weel the thing about airsoft is there is gas poweredwhich is just co2 powered or spring loaded and finally electric . the small paintballs dont mark as good but it is enough to see. It is almost exactly like paintball just smaller bullets and different guns.
Old 12/05/2004, 03:37 AM
Hola

I also play, but the weather has not allowed it for some time now. During the week the sun is out and during the weekends it has been raining. It is really anoying.

I have a Tippman A5 and a Red Shocker, the shocker is nice
Old 12/05/2004, 05:00 AM
I'm Not Creative

airsoft guns are basically pellet guns that shoot rubber BB's. They won't break a window, fish tank, and i even shot one of my mom's wine glasses just to prove to her that they won't break glass, but they sting like a mother. We play paintball rules, just anywhere we want. oh, and get some good ski goggles before you play.

The guns are spring powered, air powered, or electric powered. I have a $20 spring powered semi automatic handgun and the thing is pretty darn accurate. I play against my buddy who has a $150 competition air powered handgun, and i whoop him up all the time, it is just like paintball, all about tactics and skill.

Fox's newest reality show 'Fast animals, slow children.'
Old 12/05/2004, 06:32 AM
Registered Member

Interesting. I've noticed that alot of airsoft guns are replicas of real guns like the MP5, M-16, AK-47 and such. I might have to check into those. The only thing I don't like about paintball guns is that they aren't loud. I love to BANG of my .40 caliber Glock went it goes off, hehehehe. I think I'm going to try and milsim my A5 a little bit this winter and make it atleast look like a real gun. The A5 is modeled after the MP5 but I'd like to add a stock, red dot and a few other things to make it look better and help with accuracy.
Old 12/05/2004, 07:01 AM
Registered Member

figured id throw my two cents in

Gumby, you must have an increadibly strong wine glass, or an increadibly weak airsoft gun . The AK i have will crack most of the glass i shoot.

aquaman, id be weary about buying "paintless paintballs". The whole re-usable thing is a bad idea. Generally when you reuse ammo it gets dirt and stuff in the barrel and can screw your gun up.

Ive been playing airsoft for a while, i think its a lot better than paintball on a few levels. For one its not nearly as expensive (10k+ rounds for about $5, and no gas), its a lot more accurate, a lot easier to use, not nearly as dangerous (random parts dont explode), and your back yard wont look like a painting made by jackson pallock .

The only problem ive run into is the fact that airsoft guns are disturbingly realistic (exact dimentions of the real gun it modles, and generally close to the same weight as well). Here's what i got:

http://www.airsoft.nu/reviews/images..._ak47/ak47.jpg

Ive never been a fan of gas operated or spring operated airsoft guns, AEG all the way for me. Most AEGs, or the ones me and my friends have, will put out at least 300fps and fire at about 10-15bps (my AK fires at about 15). Its tough to find that kind of power in a spring, and gas gets really expensive.

Airsoft is a blast, I encourage those who play paintball to check it out (just dont ever buy a "mini", they suck!) Oh, and to those who say you cant feel an airsoft pellet; trust me, you can

you can check out this site if you're interested in buying one, its based in japan but they're really high quality (well worth the shipping). Check out the AEG section, i recomend a tokyo mauri brand:

www.redwolfairsoft.com