Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/29/2004, 08:33 AM
Registered Member

saying goodbye to my old mare

this has been another one of those impossible decisions but i must do what is right for her. she's been the best horse i've ever had but at 36 years, she is no longer comfortable. the arthritis has taken its toll and i cannot make her go through another cold winter.

my retired vet, whom i adore, is coming out today to send old chips over the rainbow bridge. i am devastated and sad beyond words.
nina
Old 11/29/2004, 08:36 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Awwww. Sorry to hear. Do you have any pics to share with us?
Old 11/29/2004, 08:36 AM
Flea Slide

I am sorry but think on the nice life she and you had together.

Good Luck and keep those pictures and memories close to your heart.
Old 11/29/2004, 08:47 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Sorry to hear that... I've been there, it's not fun. The last horse here on the ranch is getting up there too (30yrs), but he just keeps going...

-Dino-

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 11/29/2004, 08:52 AM
Bah Humbug!!

In time we learn to celebrate the life rather than mouring the death- but it certainly doesn't make the hard days any easier.
Be strong and know that you are doing the right thing.
Old 11/29/2004, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

Nina, You and Miss Chips will be in our thoughts today. It's never easy to say good-bye to a loved one, but know that she will walk across that bridge today and gallop in the meadow and graze on the lushest green grass!
If you need us, we're here for you!
^ Chips ^ has her angel wings!

Tanya
Old 11/29/2004, 09:38 AM
Moved On

my sympathy too

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliaddik
Nina, You and Miss Chips will be in our thoughts today. It's never easy to say good-bye to a loved one, but know that she will walk across that bridge today and gallop in the meadow and graze on the lushest green grass!

Tanya
very nice Tanya....let that be said for me too. Godspeed to you both...........
Old 11/29/2004, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

Oh Nina! I am so sorry! My thoughts are with you today. And while you know in your heart it is the right thing to do, it's never easy. Take some comfort in knowing that you are helping her go in a peaceful dignified manner. I know how much you love your 'kids' and I'm sure you are doing what is best. Take care and let me know how you are doing okay?

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. - Edward Hoagland
Old 11/29/2004, 09:58 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliaddik

Very well said Tanya. I'm sorry to hear that Ninapearl.

Tanya

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 11/29/2004, 10:04 AM
Moved On

Just out of curiosity...who to say putting an animal down is the right thing to do..if they can talk would they agreed? im not flaming but just want to know why? just because we think its a sensible thing to do doesnt mean it's the right thing to do..again im not being rude just want to know
Old 11/29/2004, 10:06 AM
Premium Member

If the animal is obviously suffering and will not get any better I would think it is the sensible thing to do.

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 11/29/2004, 10:14 AM
Moved On

putting down

Quote:
Originally posted by oreocookie713
Just out of curiosity...who to say putting an animal down is the right thing to do..if they can talk would they agreed? im not flaming but just want to know why? just because we think its a sensible thing to do doesnt mean it's the right thing to do..again im not being rude just want to know
Mr cookie guy ...your point is valid.....but if you have ever watched a human go slowlly to death as I and heard them begging you to help them end things. My wife and I nursed my late mother-in-law to death from cancer. We could do nothing and she suffered greatlly. Everyday for the last month, untill she slipped away....she begged us to help her go quicker....may you never be in that....situation. Again your point is valid.......but Miss Chips is talking to Nina and Nina hears.

Nina.......you and Miss Chips are a gift from God to each other.....you will join her one day and be together forever. When its your turn to cross-over....she'll be waiting....of that I'm sure.....

Steve
Old 11/29/2004, 10:14 AM
Bu Saif...

Very sad indeed.
Old 11/29/2004, 10:17 AM
Brotherhood Of The Reef

By nightfall, Chips will have no pain, though I am sure that you will have. Your decision is one of love, and in time, your pain will subside in the knowledge that she is healthy again, in a better place.
My thoughts are with you.
Old 11/29/2004, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

chips is at rest now. it was as peaceful as i had hoped it would be, she just went to sleep. thank you for all of the kinds words and thoughts. some day i will be able to look back on her life and not grieve. oh who am i kidding! i will grieve for her till the day i die but i am satisfied knowing she's no longer in any pain.

oreocookie, i will address your question as it's a valid one. i don't know if you have any pets or have been faced with this decision but i will say this...i've had everything from dogs to horses to goats my entire adult life. none of my animals have made it easy on me by passing away in their sleep. this is the third time in just over a year that i have had to make this decision.

when a horse is stricken with the ravages of old age, there is no mistaking the pain in their eyes. i could no longer justify keeping chips alive just because her heart was still beating. she was beginning to manifest signs of pain, it was hard for her to stand after lying down. she has been losing weight and the cold, damp weather has aggravated her condition. it was a kindness to her and although she took a very large piece of my heart with her, i am happy in the knowledge that she is at peace.

if you have ever had an old or ill dog, even more so than with horses, you will know when it is time. trust me when i say that it is a kindness to end the indignity an old dog suffers when he can no longer control his bowels and can no longer play with his pals. i believe, as many do, that although this decision is one of great pain, we, as pet owners, owe it to our furkids to make their passing as painless as possible.

i will go to my grave missing my departed pets. i will look forward to the day when i will see all of them again. somebody once said that if there are no dogs in heaven, i wanna go where they go when they die. that applies to horses too, in my case.

i hope i've answered your question and i don't feel the least bit flamed. i just feel profound sadness. if you, oreocookie, are a pet owner, i hope when the times comes, you will have enough compassion to end the obvious suffering of an infirm animal.

by the way, i have e-mailed a pic of chips to emily for her to post here. thank you emily! nina
Old 11/29/2004, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

No problem....Here is the beloved Miss Chips with her doggy bud...Rest in Peace.

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. - Edward Hoagland
Old 11/29/2004, 11:53 AM
Premium Member

Nina,

You should be commended for having the love-filled courage it takes to make the right decision with the animals you love, not questioned for doing so.

I know the toughest thing I've ever done in my life was to make the decision to end a loved pet's life.

Your decision with Miss Chips was simply an act of kindness -- one of countless I'm sure over your 36 years with her.

I am very sorry she is gone from your life. My, how you will miss her. I hope your memories will help fill the spaces left vacant by her passing.

steve
Old 11/29/2004, 12:05 PM
Guardian of Little People

Dang If my eyes weren't watering before, they sure as heck now are after seeing that picture.

I'm very sorry for your loss, and happy your friend will no longer be suffering.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 11/29/2004, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

ohhhh emily, thank you SO much!! that pic was taken just this past spring. chips still had her winter coat! can't you just see the sweetness oozing from her eyes??!!

ssheipel, thank you for the kind words. yes, i will miss her more than words can say. i don't mind having my decision questioned. i think it's probably a question people who have never had a close relationship with an animal would ask. i dunno.

my vet looked her over as i was walking her out to the field this morning and he agreed 100% that it was the right thing to do. he and i have worked closely over the past few years to keep her comfortable in her old age and this past spring, when i thought maybe it was time, he said no. so we tried some different meds that helped her up until recently.

i am confident it was the right decision, it was MY decision along with my vet. it is, of course, a very personal decision that only i and he could make. chips is now whole again and feeling no pain. as tanya said above, she is galloping in the meadows and grazing on lush grass. that mental image gives me great peace! nina
Old 11/29/2004, 12:16 PM
Premium Member

Ninapearl,

I'm so sorry for your loss - I feel your pain, as I've been in your shoes many times before, but you made the right choice !
I know she feels so much more comfortable where she is now.
Old 11/29/2004, 01:15 PM
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Very sad indeed!! I am wiping a tear from my eye too...I hope you will heal in time and you made a tough decision based on love...kudos to you!!

Dave

"The wind blew, the detritus flew and then they came two by two."
Old 11/29/2004, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

Ninapearl,

I too am very sorry for your loss... I'm sure that you have many, many memories in your heart to carry with you for ever!!! Nothing can take memories away...

TheBimbo

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 11/29/2004, 02:01 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianD
Dang If my eyes weren't watering before, they sure as heck now are after seeing that picture.
Ditto. I cannot imagine having a pet for 36 years. It is truly like losing a member of the family, maybe even more painful, as our animals accept us unconditionally for who we are. I'm very sorry for your loss.
Old 11/29/2004, 02:36 PM
Member ACROS Reef Club

emilye, So sorry to here your story, we had provided care for older horses a few times and was always difficult to watch them when they reached that point. 36 is a long life and I am sure she will be waiting at the gate for the future...Also you did the right thing, we have had to watch them suffer and we have also had the decision of having them peacfully being put down...Anyone who has witnessed this in person will understand the feelings expressed thru there eyes and actions...Also it looks as though Doggy Bud will miss her as well so you and he can help each other...
Old 11/29/2004, 02:45 PM
Sponsor

Nina,

I'm extremely sorry to hear about Miss Chips.

Proud owner of the very rare YET (Yellow Elephantis Tang) from the Lord Bibah Islands.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)