Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/23/2004, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

shoot pete.. my buddy just did it about 2 months ago. a worker at my job got the 1.3ghz and had a problem with it. you know what mac did? well they said.. we understand the situation and that you need it but we don't have any 1.3's in stock.. here we'll send you the new 1.5. thats what mac does. btw just havin' fun.
Old 11/23/2004, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

double post
Old 11/23/2004, 09:09 PM
Moved On

these whole PC vs Mac arguments seem to all be the same...

pnosko, i think it's time you give up your PC arguments, beerguy keeps killing you out there.
Old 11/23/2004, 09:19 PM
RC Mod
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by robertothegreat
I'm pretty sure my 17 is the same as a 15.. i think the only difference is the speaker space. yea.. imo any laptop keyboard sucks.
Ditto! I love the standard Apple keyboards (you will get used to it, I use the wireless and love it and unlike my dad with his wireless microsoft keyboard I actually get a warning of low battery instead of just typing gibberish) but my Powerbook keyboard is too small, the keys are hard to press without hitting two or more keys at a time and the reach over the mouse area is uncomfortable. They need to get rid of the mouse and use touchscreens on laptops.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"
Old 11/23/2004, 10:00 PM
Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by beerguy
A quick look at Dell's warranty and unless you purchase the drive from them it's not covered. You're splitting hairs Pete.
I'm not splitting anything. I've consistently been referring to the user's ability to swap the hard drive in a notebook (not data recovery). If my Dell notebook is under warranty, why would I buy a drive when Dell will send me a replacement overnight at no cost? If it's not in warranty, then I can get one anywhere since there's no warrant to lose.

Apple does not provide this option with Powerbooks, unless (as you say) an Apple store will do it same/next day (if one happens to be close by). It's as simple as that.
Old 11/23/2004, 10:04 PM
Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by hnf2k
pnosko, i think it's time you give up your PC arguments, beerguy keeps killing you out there.
Only someone with an agenda that needs to save face would say beerguy won the notebook hard drive replacement argument. The facts speak for themselves; Dell provides better product/service on this hardware aspect.

And for the record, if you mean "Windows" when you say "PC", where have I been arguing for Windows? It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Old 11/23/2004, 10:13 PM
Moved On

well, i didnt buy a notebook. i own a Dell right now and will say their service is kick ***. my video card went out on me(the fan stopped working), so they sent me a new one free of charge(all i had to do was send my old oen back), also free of charge they offered to have a tech come to my house and install it for me. Dell is also a much larger company.

i used a mac at the store and at my friends house. they look better, seem to run pretty smooth, and have 0 viruses.

all the techincal stuff you guys speak on i dont know what it means so it doesnt concern me or change my argument or feelings. but so far what i get from these discussions is....

anyone who has used a PC and a Mac recently says Mac is better. anyone who uses a PC and has never used a Mac says PC is better. sooo my conclusion leads me to believe that the only reason people like PC's better is cause they have not used a Mac. i have not read a single post where someone says they used to use a Mac and switch to a PC.

and again pnosko, you cant expect Mac to beat Dell in every single category, Dell's revenues are in the billions Mac's are in the millions. my cheap honda civic gets better gas mileage than your mercedes, that doesn't mean it's a superior product. look at em on a whole, not per spec.
Old 11/23/2004, 10:34 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by pnosko
And for the record, if you mean "Windows" when you say "PC", where have I been arguing for Windows? It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
no i meant what i said. your last post was strictly related to a PC. hard drive problems and dell's warranties. maybe you should follow your own advice.
Old 11/23/2004, 11:15 PM
Premium Member

Hi all,

My former 1.5 year old P4 2.8ghz/512mb RAM Micron PC with a killer video card is faster than the G5 1.8 ghz IMAC in the highly graphical game I play. I would say its just a little faster overall also, since this type of program is the most demanding for the computer.

Paul
Old 11/24/2004, 06:50 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hnf2k
i have not read a single post where someone says they used to use a Mac and switch to a PC.
I work w/ Macs, Windows, and Sun, and run Gentoo linux at home (in other words, I've tried 'em all (except OS2)), and you won't find anyone, either.

- Mac
Old 11/24/2004, 06:52 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paulfromero
...since this type of program is the most demanding for the computer.
Whoah, careful Paul... I think you're venturing into uncharted waters there.

- Mac
Old 11/24/2004, 10:53 AM
Premium Member

hehe,

just trying to be funny.......hehe

Paul
Old 11/24/2004, 11:22 AM
Reefer

ReeferMac, he meant it's the most demanding for his computer.
Old 11/24/2004, 12:40 PM
Premium Member

LOL! Lets not get personal now!

I'll agree most games are very good at taxing computer systems, however there's a million and one variables to one's computer experience, and it's not accurate to say something as blanketting as "Games are the most demanding".

- Mac
Old 11/24/2004, 12:52 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Games can be very demanding, especially on the graphics subsystem. Sadly, however, many Mac games are ported to the platform very poorly and not necessarily a fair or accurate representation of system speed.

I've said all along that Mac isn't really a games platform. It would fair much better if developers took a little more care. World of Warcraft (and most Blizzard) games is a good example. They develop for both from the beginning. Many others develop only for PC and then a 3rd party company comes in to do the port. Halo is an excellent example. While it runs fine on my G5 it doesn't run very well on G4 unless you have Radeon graphics.

Since MS is supposedly moving to the PPC chip for the next version, it might actually give Mac gaming a boost.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 11/24/2004, 01:32 PM
Premium Member

I've gone from Mac to Mac to PC (Dell) to Mac To PC (Sony) to Mac

Mac wins, but understand I'm simply an end user -- I don't want to open the back of the machine and tinker, modify or store my croisant for warming.

The only real annoyances I feel result from the fact the whole computing world is dominated by PC and in rare cases I can't run somthing on my iMac (e.g. MSN Messenger doesn't support my iSight camera, which is really, really annoying as I have several freinds who live around the world and we stay in touch with cams and messaging. )

And esthetics are also important to me. My 20" G5 iMac is the most beautiful machine I've ever had in my home. It annoys me when manufacturers ignore form when they're pursuing function.

steve
Old 12/01/2004, 08:36 PM
Premium Member

lucky I got one

Quote:
Originally posted by paulfromero
Hi,

Seems to still be a whisp of Apple Arrogance in the design and packaging (brags its 'designed in California' instead of 'made in China').

hope this helps; dont mean to be mean towards fellow apple lovers,

Paul
After a month, almost, my apple and network are running better than ever! They arent arrogant, just proud of their accomplishment!

lucky I bought one,

Paul
Old 12/02/2004, 12:07 AM
Hola

I was going to post a long argument, but it can all be summarized in either you have used a mac and get it, or simply don't comprehend what all the fus is about.
Old 12/02/2004, 12:08 AM
Hola

Mark have you used a freeware app called Galerie?

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19953
Old 12/02/2004, 12:20 AM
Hippocampus fun!

My new iBook G4 14" was delivered today, but I can't have it until Christmas. What a bugger! Anyway, it came with 256mb of RAM preinstalled like all of the iBooks, but I upgraded to an additional 1Gb for a total of 1.25Gb. I got my memory from http://www.4allmemory.com/. They have a really high rating on BizRate, so all seems well. I paid like $215 for the stick as opposed to the $600 that Apple would have charged. But anyhow, I won't know how it all works until Christmas. It's TORTURE!
Old 12/02/2004, 01:05 AM
Registered Member

i'm on my mac right now

Old 12/02/2004, 06:24 AM
Premium Member

Hi Will,

If I were you (or your parents, or whomever is in control of said computer). I would at least open it up, pop the RAM in, and make sure everything works OK. Returns become exponentially harder, the longer you wait after purchase.

- Mac
Old 12/02/2004, 04:21 PM
Hippocampus fun!

Hm, I didn't think about that. I'll check on the return policy at the site where I got the memory, and if it's less than 30 days, I'll beg and plead with my parents to let me just make sure the memory works ok. If their return policy is 30 days or more, I should be ok. Christmas is in like 23 days or something, so I'll still have time to return it if there's something wrong. But thanks for the suggestion, cause anything that would potentially allow me to even get a glimpse of the Mac before Christmas would be awesome!

-Will
Old 12/02/2004, 05:25 PM
Reefer

Does buying and installing 3rd-party memory affect the warranty of an Apple Powerbook?
Old 12/02/2004, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

nope