Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/02/2004, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

but how about your DELL
Old 12/02/2004, 05:54 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

It does not affect the overall warranty but as expected if the problem is due to the 3rd party memory you could be charged time and materials. In my experience you need to by good RAM, not the cheapest stuff you can find. Like many of the AMD XP boards it requires quality RAM; ala. Crucial, micron, etc....

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 12/02/2004, 06:16 PM
Hola

As with all waranties the problem must be traced back to the third party part for them to be able to legally refuse honoring the warranty, even thought the warranty states otherwise.

If you want to read more about it search for the MAGNUSON MOSS WARRANTY ACT and it should help you out, I think it applies to all waranties no mater which product it is.
Old 12/06/2004, 12:58 PM
Mac User!

Quote:
Originally posted by pnosko
I've consistently been referring to the user's ability to swap the hard drive in a notebook (not data recovery)...... If it's not in warranty, then I can get one anywhere since there's no warrant to lose.

Apple does not provide this option with Powerbooks, unless (as you say) an Apple store will do it same/next day (if one happens to be close by). It's as simple as that.
I have a 17" Powerbook G4 and have put different HD's in it without a problem. It is a standard Toshiba notebook HD and can be used on a Mac or PC. So it is simple, Mac or PC it really depends on what you like. I just prefer an OS that is free of bugs (ie updates everyday with XP), easy to use, and powerful.