Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 01/10/2008, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

My Rare Dream Fish is in My tank!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've always wanted one of these but they were way out of my budget. I came across one yesterday at an unbelievable price. I know they have come down in price a bit but this was a steal! I tried feeding him after his 2 hour acclimation and ate a frozzen silverside soaked in selcon and garlic without even putting it on a feeding stick. Hopefully it will live longer than the reports that I have read about. He or she is about 4 1/2". I think it is Frondosa but who knows. Reading the limited info on the fish, there is much debate on the differeces b/w species. Anyone who knows of any good lit on these guys would be greatly appreciated. I've already exhausted the RC, Reef.org(sorry RC), and google searches. I also added a pic of my gymn. Meletremus and Echidna nebulosa who are close buds. Let me know what you think. Thanks Tim

Old 01/10/2008, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

Thats a cool looking fish. I always look at them on live aquaria.
Old 01/10/2008, 06:09 PM
Premium Member

Re: My Rare Dream Fish is in My tank!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by myerst2
Let me know what you think. Thanks Tim
I think you've got yourself one heck of a gorgeous fish! I know nothing about these guys, but he sure is gorgeous. Congrats on the deal, I hope he does really well for you -- it must feel amazing to have acquired your dream fish! I'll never get mine (Genicanthus personatus because they're quite rare and cost thousands of dollars, but I do have a very nice picture of one on my computer that I can stare at whenever I feel the need
Old 01/10/2008, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

Thanks!! My girlfriend just doesn't understand why I can't keep my eyes oof the tank. I can't believe he ate right away and frozen none the less. And the price was unbelievable!!! Hopefully it's not one of those cases when it sounds to ggod to be true. He is actually more yellow than orange. I'll take some pics of him in the tank soon. Regards Tim
Old 01/10/2008, 07:14 PM
10 & Over Club

Tim--
Awesome rhinopia frondosa. These are killer fish, really mellow and just so neat.
Theres a few threads roaming around about these fish on RC. you might want to search-just to keep up.
Thats said-- i'll highlight a few points

Most public aquaria and well most hobbyist report a short lifespan of these fish in captivity. Its clearly a dietary issue. The fish is a scorpinidae so its should live 5+ yrs , but it common to last about 2-3yrs. The folks who have been successful report feeding lots of live foods, like damsels, and smaller SW feeder fish. You figure for the amount of cash you paid for this fish, 10 damsels every week is the price to pay.

Next, there is controversy on what this species is. It is quite clear that in the wild, R Frondosa mimics algaes, and sponge. The ornate tassles, bright color, and oscollated patterns are camoflague for the wild. But, like many colored angler fish, most of these Frondosa will turn darker over time and loose their ornate patterns, looking very much like a Rhinopia eschemeryersi. Thats the confusion, are they the same fish

These fish don't compete well w/ fast movers, so if you've got triggers, wrasses, tangs etc, consider getting your high dollar fish a new home.

Lastly, and I'll reiterate this, whether you like hearing it or not, the price on these fish have dropped way too much IMHO. They are now being overcollected, and some buzz around the hobby suggests they too may go the way of the banggai.

Anyway--
Enjoy
Old 01/10/2008, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

Well His tankmates are a lion, foxface, 4 damsels (food for him at his leasure), Melatremus, and a snowflake. He's eating frozen already which I soak in selcon and garlic for a couple of hours before feeding. I wonder how much of the supplements are actually absorbed by soaking prepared foods. I think it would be a great study. It could very well be that little if nothing is absorbed at all by soaking frozen foods. He's already been eyeing the damsels in the tank. The lion was added with damsels and could care lees about eating them. The lion has eaten frozen from the begining as well. I know many people only have records of keeping them in captivity for about 2 years, but honestly anyone who keeps a fish alive in this hobby for more than 2 years is in the minority. Not that I'm saying this is an excuse but I'm happy that the fish is in my tank rather than some guy who wants a fancy fish who doesn't know his a** from his elbow. Well here are some new pics with his new buddies. PLEASE! Anyone with any other information and expierences would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Tim

Old 01/10/2008, 09:56 PM
Premium Member

Rhinopias frondosa and Rhinopias eschemeryersi may indeed be the same fish. In any case, for longest life, I suggest feeding ONLY marine life as there is likely a nutritional deficiency from feeding fresh water frozen. I have pictures of both fish in the wild as well as R. apanes.

~Steve~
Old 01/10/2008, 10:27 PM
Premium Member

I'm not sure if this is a good idea with these particular fish or not, but I thought I'd mention it anyway -- maybe someone more knowledgeable can give their thoughts, or you can do some research.

I have a bunch of mollies that I purchased from a LFS specifically to use as a food source for my reef fish. They were in FW when I got them, but I've acclimated them to SW (they're at about 1.015 right now, will eventually be at 1.025 just like the reef - I just didn't want to shock the recently-born babies so I'm waiting until they're a bit older to continue raising the salinty).

Mollies can go from FW to SW with ease, and they'll eat anything - that means you can gut-load them with algaes, frozen foods, flakes, pellets soaked in vitamins, whatever you want, and when your predator eats the mollies it will also get the nutrition from their latest meal. They reproduce about once every six weeks or so, and even when they're young you should get at least 20-25 fry from each female every time she gives birth. The young grow quickly if they're fed well and will reach 1" long within a couple of months.

Good luck with your little guy, he really is neat. I hope that foxface doesn't mistake him for actual Sargassum and try to munch his fins!
Old 01/10/2008, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

Wow! Great fish. My girlfriend wants one.. and yeah I want one too. Can't justify the cost at the moment though. Good luck with it!

The public aquarium in Dallas has some in one of their displays and they have tons of personality. They all gather in front of whoever's standing in front of the tank. Funny to watch them hop along.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

Has anyone done analysis of how much vitamins, ie selcon, are absorbed by soaking frozen food. Believe Animal Lover this fish has been out of my price range and still is until I got lucky. Keep your eyes open. Regards Tim
Old 01/11/2008, 12:59 AM
Premium Member

I don't know how much is absorbed into frozen foods, but marines (unlike FW fish) do drink their water so even if it's floating around in the water column it will end up in the fish eventually. If he takes food in a single bite you could also try soaking some pellets in vitamins/HUFAs and stuffing them inside the frozen shrimp/fish/scallop etc. that you're feeding him -- much like dolphin trainers hide vitamin pills in the fish they give the dolphins. It's a bit of work, but if that's what he needs to stay healthy it's worth it.
Old 01/11/2008, 01:13 AM
Registered Member

That's are great idea!! I never thought of that. Shove some NLS pellets in the silverside, GREAT IDEA! Regards, Tim
Old 01/11/2008, 09:37 AM
Premium Member

As I mentioned above, it is not desirable to feed fresh water fish such as mollies to ambush predators if you want to maintain them close to their natural life cycle. Get cheap damsels; eventually they will be consumed.

~Steve~
Old 01/11/2008, 09:42 AM
RC Mod

I remember reading about the problem with freshwater fish as a food source. The problem isn't just what they lack nutritionally, but what they have that marine animals have a hard time with. I read that longterm feeding of freshwater fish causes liver damage in lions. This was an old article, but could still be true.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:23 AM
Premium Member

Tim, you said that you exhausted RC, but just in case, I'll mention that I've read through a pretty large thread here called The Frogfish Files. I don't know much about scorpionfish, etc. but I think the posters on that thread cover a decent amount of ground and may offer you some great first-hand experiences.

Good luck w/ your new fish!
Old 01/11/2008, 11:06 AM
Keeper of Tangs

wow hes a gorgeous fish. congrats on him!
Old 01/11/2008, 11:19 AM
Premium Member

I dont think the foxface is a suitable tankmate. As a garzing fish, it will look for a natural food source- ie- algae. Coincidentally Rhinopias are adorned to camoflague as look like.....algae. You may end up with a problem of your foxface picking at the Rhinopias.

A good thread was around a few weeks ago about these guys, and no one had ever really kept one for more than 2 or 3 years.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

Jman, do you have the link to that thread? So are feeding Mollies adjusted to saline conditions a bad choice? Unfortunately it takes me 45 minutes to get to the nearest damsel store. Once spring comes I will have all the live foods available right in my own back yard.
Yes I was a little concerned about the foxface. The foxface when up to the fish to investigate and the Rhinopias lunged at the foxface and he ran for the hills. The foxface has another place to if it becomes an issue.

Mark do you have a link for that frog fish thread?
Old 01/11/2008, 12:56 PM
Premium Member

You participated in the thread, but here it is.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1
Old 01/11/2008, 04:59 PM
RC Mod

Btw, gorgeous fish! I'm a fish nut myself, and have a soft spot for venomous fish. Sadly, I don't have the room anymore to keep a separate tank for them. Hopefully, in the near future I will once again have space. I would love to set up a tank with a Rhino, an Ambon, and perhaps even a devil fish. They are very pet-like fish. Please keep us updated over the next few years. The Rhino longevity accounts definitely interest me.