Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/15/2007, 04:00 PM
2008 is going to be great

Happy and Mad today

After much thought and conversation, my husband and I adopted a second dog today. Her name is Tess, and she's two. She's a lab mix.
We got her from a private owner, for free. I guess she didn't get along with the other dogs, and has the cuts on her face to prove it.

When I picked her up today, after meeting her two days ago, the owner barely said goodbye to her. And, I asked if she had a special toy she loved, or a bed or at least a blanket so she could have some familiar scent. He said no, she didn't have anything. So, I was mad. I can't imagine having animals, and not having stuff for them. (Remember, he said he was getting rid of her because of the other two dogs) So, I take her by my husband's job to say hi. He is a chef, and was cutting meat, so he brought out a piece of tenderloin. She would not eat it. And, she was very nervous around him. So, we went home.

I get Tess home, and her and Red (our first dog) go in the backyard and start the peeing everywhere scenerio. They had met two days ago, and I knew they would get along. After getting her settled, I go to the store and get her a pink with bling collar (she's my first female dog), bowls, and a bed.

I just gave her a bath, and guess what...she's got the biggest fleas I've ever seen in my almost 36 years! So, Monday it's off to the vet's for treatment. But, I'm so mad that people don't cherish their animals. I bet that guy never even gave her a bath, she stunk so bad.

She's a good girl, and I'm so happy to have an addition to our family, but mad that she is in the shape she's in. I don't have pics, but here is the Craig's List post that I found her at, if you want to see her.
http://knoxville.craigslist.org/pet/495669998.html

Thanks for letting me vent. I know most of you are dog lovers, and would feel the way I feel about it!
Old 12/15/2007, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

aww shes a cute pup does look like she needs some TLC though and i am sure you can give her plenty

good luck with the pooch
some people just take in animals they cant deal with and they end up like this i am glad she found a good home
Old 12/15/2007, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

well now, she's just adorable and i bet she will absolutely flourish in your care. she will reward you tenfold!

pics when you can!
Old 12/15/2007, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

thats funny, my dogs name is Red, and the people i got her from have 3 beagles as well as a border collie named Tess.

There were plenty of fish in the sea, but i wasn't ready to hang up my tacklebox.
Old 12/15/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

she is cute. glad you got her

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 12/15/2007, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

She's a cutie. The fleas must be frustrating!
Old 12/15/2007, 11:18 PM
Cancer Sucks

She's a great looking dog! I'm glad she ended up in the home she deserves.

"There either is or there isn't life out there. Both possibilites are frightening."
(someone help me out - who said this?)
Old 12/16/2007, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

Never seen a lab with a docked tail? Congrats and glad she has a new home to love her!
Old 12/16/2007, 12:59 AM
Medieval French Monkey

Congrats on the new pooch, she's a cutie!

Personally, I think you're overreacting: you got a free dog that was spayed and has all its shots, and you're upset cause you didn't get toys or a blanket to go along with her? Maybe he didn't want to give away toys that all his dogs used. The fleas suck, but that can be easily treated. Looking at the pic, it's obvious the dog wasn't abused.

In any case, it's a win-win situation for you and the dog. Be happy in that.
Old 12/16/2007, 01:26 AM
Where's My Jell-O?

That dog has some serious muscles on it!!!!

When my step daughter's dog came to live at our house it picked fights with our 2 dogs from the moment it walked in. Our second dog would fight back and OMG could that get ugly! It took the oldest dog pinning my step-daughter's dog down by the neck to set the rules. I don't think they ever faught again until the oldes dog died!

It may be that the previous owner disassociated him self from the lab in order to let it go! I know a guy like that. Tries to be the hard arse, and inside he is melting!

Melting!
Old 12/16/2007, 03:06 PM
2008 is going to be great

Quote:
Originally posted by Gawain1974

Personally, I think you're overreacting: you got a free dog that was spayed and has all its shots, and you're upset cause you didn't get toys or a blanket to go along with her? Maybe he didn't want to give away toys that all his dogs used. The fleas suck, but that can be easily treated. Looking at the pic, it's obvious the dog wasn't abused.

In any case, it's a win-win situation for you and the dog. Be happy in that.
I guess you are right, just thought it wierd the dog had no bed or toys. And, yes, he could have wanted them for the other dogs. Anyway, there is no rule that there has to be twenty toys in the yard! The fleas are only on her, haven't migrated anywhere else, and tomorrow I will go to the vet.

She is fitting right in. Last night she never got off of our bed, and my husband had to sleep in funky positions! Our other dog goes to bed with us, and then gets in his own bed sometime after we're asleep.

It feels like our family is complete!

(On a side note, while she was checking out the house yesterday, she went into the room with the fish tank. The movement caught her eye, and she jumped up to see what was in the tank. This freaked the puffer out, and he puffed up! It was funny, but then I had to let her know that the tank is off limits. I wonder what she was thinking when that puffer puffed!)
Old 12/16/2007, 06:21 PM
Team RC Member

I hope they weren't kidding about the shots. If I got an animal in that condition, [and I did] I'd wonder. Ask your vet what he thinks, and what's safe. Also heartworm.

She is a cute puppy, sweet expression---and she's darned lucky you came over the hill to rescue her.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.