Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/13/2007, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

Need a Skimmer

I am new to this awesome forum and swf. I have a 90g with an undercabinet sump where I want to install a hang-on skimmer. The problem is I tried the Current Fission Skimmer that was 20" tall and it would not fit under the cabinet. I need a skimmer that will work for a 90g tank, but will fit under the cabinet. Please help me--I am so confused

Thank you!!
Claire
Old 05/13/2007, 02:42 PM
Moved On

well, i have pretty much the same setup, i use a coralife super skimmer65. It is short enough to fit in the under cabinet. It is a little underated but still works.
Old 05/13/2007, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

So you want a hang on skimmer but to hang it on the sump, under the cabinet. Maybe you could go with a hang on back skimmer and hang it on the tank? How much clearance do you have under cabinet. Bermuda aquatics Rough is a HOB. Very impressed with my Bermuda 3C. Rouge is only an inch shorter at 19". But again, could be hung on back of tank.
Tunze HOB skimmers are supposed to be good too. Surprisingly, not as expensive as the Tunze name conjours up but I don't know how large they are.

http://www.bermudaaquatics.com/rogue.htm
Old 05/13/2007, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the comments. Anyone have experience with the SeaClone Protein Skimmer--specs say its 18"?
Old 05/13/2007, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

I have zero experience with the Seaclone but it is generally held in very poor regard.

I think if you give a size requirement and a price limit, you will get plenty of help.
Old 05/13/2007, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

Don't bother with SeaClones, they are about the worst skimmers available, aside from skilters.

That's kinda odd that you can't fit a 20" skimmer under you tank... I think you'll have to get a hang-on skimmer if you can't fit a 20" skimmer.

Tunze would be about the best option as far as hang-ons go. They are more expensive, but worth the money. I've also heard people have had good experiences with CPR BakPak's. They are a bit older technology and not quite as good as the Tunze, but a fair bit cheaper:
http://www.reefnut.com/reefshop/prod...roducts_id=101
Old 05/13/2007, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

I just read that Current USA has a smaller model of the Fission Power Skimmer. The one I originally tried was 20" and rated for 200+gallons. There is a 16" that is rated for 100 gallons--One website had it for $108. That's a lot less then I expected. I know the 20" will work (with the width of my sump) it was only the height that was a problem. What do ya'll think about that one? I hate getting frustrated with a hobby I love so much--but I really am at my wits end. Thanks again for all of you help, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.
Old 05/13/2007, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

Location: East of the Mississippi, north of the mason dixon line
You've gotten some very good advice so far. I also use a couple of the different models of the Bermuda Aquatics skimmers. I love all of them. I use their HOB skimmer as well.

If you buy because of price, you'll get what you pay for in this hobby. You'll also wind up spending more than you would have if you bought quality upfront (buying multiple times until you come to the inevitable conclusion that spending a bit more will get you what you're looking for).

swimmer
Old 05/13/2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

One thing you should know about protein skimmers is that the tank size ratings are all over the place. Good skimmers are closer to what they state in terms of what they can handle, but they are all over-rated.

As far as the skimmer you are looking at goes, I don't think it will handle a 90gallon tank for a variety of reasons. The pump is rather weak (317gph at 25W) and the "paddle wheel impeller" design that they tout is laughable (all it is is a dimpled version of a normal impeller). In the end, it won't take out enough to keep up with a normally stocked 90 gallon tank. Of course, you could always make up for that by doing more frequent water changes and supplementing with lots of activated carbon, etc. But, if you are like me, you'll want a skimmer that takes out so much that you don't have to make tank maintanence a second job.

Here is another good hang on skimmer that is reasonably priced:
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=AQ1113
For $70 more than the Current Fission, you'll get more than twice the output.

I've heard that this dirt-cheap skimmer is actually fairly good:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113771
There is a guy on here that is always touting how great they are, wouldn't know myself. Maybe he'll chime in...

Finally, look around the Used Goods Forum. If you check there often enough you can get really good deals on really good equipment.
Old 05/13/2007, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

I really appreicate all the responses, but I need a skimmer that isn't over 18" in total height. Price really doesn't matter, I just think my lfs is grossly over-priced compared to internet prices. I am definately more concerned about the height then I am about the price.

Claire
Old 05/13/2007, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

I had the same problem -- limited space under my 90. So I got a powerful, tiny skimmer, the Tunze 9010.
Old 05/13/2007, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, if price isn't so much a concern definately go with the Tunze 9005 (14.8") or 9010 (it is 16.8"). Many LFS are quite a bit more expensive than the internet...
Old 05/13/2007, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

I looked at the Tunze 9005--I have so little experience with skimmers, but I assume I should buy the extension kit to fit in my sump. What concerns me is that the section of the sump this will have to go into is 16" high and there is only about 5" across that the bracket that holds it in place can sit on. And the area in the sump for any accessories is only about 5"across--that probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but the area is small. Is that enough room?

You guys are soooo awesome!! Thanks for all the info and looking forward to more!!!!

Claire
Old 05/13/2007, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

the tunze is 4.9long x4.5wide x16.8 high you shouldnt have any problem with getting it in there, just run it in sump.. no brackets that way, plus its not hanging on.. it will handle your tank with a heavy bioload, and you wont have to worry about it at all, plus they are said to be some of the quietest skimmers on the market.
Old 05/13/2007, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

Tunze or deltec hob skimmmer
Old 05/13/2007, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

tunze 9010, small and powerful, and don't get the 9005, you need a sump kit anyway and the 9010 is much better and comes with the kit. You will love this skimmer!
Old 05/13/2007, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

I guess I am a little confused. Can I put it directly in the sump? Do I have to get the kit to do that? Or is the kit used to mount it to the wall of the sum? Is there an advantage to mounting it?

Sorry for all the questions, but grateful for all the advice.

Claire
Old 05/13/2007, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

the 9010 comes with the kit (a plastic piece that fits on the bottom with some suction cups and a few other things, you probably would not even notice it was on unless the riser pipe was in view) and sits on the bottom of the sump. The water level should be between 4 and 10 inches. Easy to use, great skimmer.
Old 05/14/2007, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mushumatt
Tunze or deltec hob skimmmer
I would not go deltec, I just sold an MCE600 for a fracion of the cost $468.00 because I had to clean the collection cup daily, it is tiny! and that's on a lightly stocked 55 gal, originally bought this skimmer because I am upgrading to a 90 gal with sump and thought I could just hang on sump but I could not imagine how often I would have to clean it in a 90 gal. also the aquabee 2000 pump on the deltec is super loud and I was always tinkering with the collection cup adjusting up and down and regulating air flow.
Just my experience
Old 05/14/2007, 08:12 PM
><O>Euro-Reef*R*C500 <O><

tunze 9010 skims more for its size than any other skimmer out thier. some one please call me on this ....LOL ! i would like to know if thiers a better skimmer as far as size.
Old 05/14/2007, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

not that I know of