Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/10/2008, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

how do i know???

I was looking for my dead fish...moved all the rock around...still cant find the remains...cuc may have gotten to him. As I move the rock around a lot of junk comes off the rock causing the tank to look cloudly. How do I know if this is sand or waste??? I have a pistol shrimp goby which both kick up the sand. They have a tunnel build up underneath the rock which I probably distubed but I had to to see if I can find the dead fish before he decays anymore.

Also If this is waste, how do I keep this off my rock???
Old 01/10/2008, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

I would say you need more flow to keep the detrius from gathering behind and on the rocks. Do you have any crabs ? How long has it been since you saw the fish ?
Old 01/10/2008, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

you stirred up all the ditrius. i use a turky baster to blast the rocks before i do a water change. and dont go lookin for a dead fish your cuc and worms and bacteria do the job. ive lost all my chromises and never looked for a single one. just test for ammonia or do a small water change.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

Next time you do a water change, try and suck up all the debris you can from any "dirty" areas. I would also suggest doing a 5 gal water change since you might have lost a fish.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

I have done 2 water changes in a week since losing my fish. I have a huge b/w hermit crab and 3 blue leg hermits but havent seen for awhile and about 8 nass snails and 2 turbo snails.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

I would definitely use a turkey baster to blast the rocks clean and keep cleaning your filter pads and run the skimmer "wet" if you have one.

I would also suggest testing the water for amonia and nitrates b/c of the dead fish. I would probably use some Amquel if either of these show up just to get it non-toxic and then do a water change if needed.
Indigo Dotty/tr
2 button polyp
gsp
candy cane
zoa
ricordia rock
open brain
5 turbos
5 hermits
30 lb ls / 27lb lr