Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 01/10/2008, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

uv shield necessary on mh???

do you need to put a uv shield on a retro mh set up? if so where do you get one. i am thinking about getting a retro mh set up and don't know if i need a uv shield.
Old 01/10/2008, 04:12 PM
Premium Member

Only if it a double ended bulb.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!
Old 01/10/2008, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

ok. cool. so the only thing i would need would be a piece of glass to use as a splash guard than.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

I wouldnt even do that. Glass will reduce your PAR. besides the bulbs should be atleast 4+" off water. If you have water splashing up that high, thats no good. Little splashing here and there wont do anything tho, thats just normal. just be cautious of a lot of water.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

I wouldnt and dont use a shield either for splash guard for the same reason cuts down on par
Old 01/10/2008, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the advice. never used a retro before so i just figured it would need the same as my sunpod.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

jsut as long as its a single ended bulb, no worries. but the double ended or (HQI) bulbs need that UV shield (not just a piece of glass, has to be UV treated)
Old 01/10/2008, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

it is a single ended retro...not hqi.
Old 01/10/2008, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

Clownin around- if you splash even a tiny spec of water on one of those single ended lamps it is possible thay will explode.
Just aheads up. Lots of people run single ended lamps with no shield and thats fine as long as you dont splash.
It may or may not pop if splashed but thats the risk.
on a side note...
glxtrix- * there is no special coating needed for double ended lamps. Its just plain old tempered glass. It doesnt really need to be tempered either, thats just a safety thing in case it breaks.

These lamps (HQ) dont have the extra arc tube like a single ended lamp has inside the glass bulb. That outer glass bulb part of a single ended lamp is the UV shield and its nothing more than glass. not tempered, not treated.
Old 01/10/2008, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

how high off of the tank should the lights be? i am planning on getting 2 - 175watt mh retros (reflector, socket, bulb, ballast) and putting it over my newly set up 45 gal tank. the canopy that came with the tank is very low so i am going to replace it with another one.