Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates

Old 01/09/2008, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

How Many IS Too Many

How many sand sifting stars should me 120 gal be able to support. I currently have 2 in it and was thinking of getting some more. They do a great job on moving my sand I just think more might be it an easier task.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

bump
Old 01/09/2008, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

Sand sifting stars are well known for eating all the little micro inverts that are good for tanks. They eat bristleworms and all the other little good critters. They can deplete sand beds quite fast. Frankly not a very good star for tank at all. And it only takes 1 to clean out a 120 withing a year or two. If you add another at least 1 will likely starve to death.....Just saying what I've heard.

Dan

"Sanity? What would I do with something as useless as that?"
-Kennpachi
Old 01/10/2008, 08:24 AM
Soul of a Sailor

Agreed. One is most likely too many. They do such a good job of keeping the sand turned over because they're constantly searching for critters to eat. There are several species of star sold as sand sifters, and most of them don't eat anything you want eaten. Some will feed on detritus when other food is scarce, but it's not something they live off permanently. Others are so general in their carnivory that they have been used as a way to sample the diversity of the bottom. Others are extremely specific in their diets and only eat certain small snails or crustaceans that live in the sand.

In nearly all cases, a 120 is too small to produce enough food to keep even one alive long term. They eat the tiny critters that really make a sandbed work and then they can take up to 18 months to starve after they've exhausted their food, all the while showing no signs of ill-health.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:37 AM
Mouth Pipetting

Zero