Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/06/2007, 01:55 AM
Registered Member

Success

I'm having second thoughts about my tank, how long did it take before your tank took off. I have all LPS and haven't really seen any have any growth. I'm wondering if I should change the type of corals I'm keeping or stick with them.
Old 11/06/2007, 02:18 AM
Our man in the East

I would stick with then. You obviously bought them beacause you liked them.
Besides, the lack of growth is unlikely to be down to the corals themselves but rather your tank conditions.
Are all of your parameters in line and stable. Particularly Alk, Calcium and Magnesium, ph, etc
One of the major peventions in coral growth is phosphates. Are you checking for them.
What lights are you using, how old is the tank.
Basically more info is needed if you want forum users to help you with this problem. Get back to us.
Old 11/06/2007, 02:45 AM
Registered Member

Alk-9dkh
Calc- 400
Mag- 1550
Phos- 0

Tank has been setup since April, and added first coral in August. Lights are 4x54w Tek T5 Fixture. I added a DIY phos reactor last week.
Old 11/06/2007, 04:23 AM
Moved On

Your tank is just now getting to the point where it is mature-ish. Once the system ages a bit and is stable growth will explode.
Old 11/06/2007, 05:57 AM
Registered Member

Ditto. I set my tank up around X-mas time last year and I added coral maybe in early April. I struggled with my corals not growing and even dying, but right now I can say that my take has aged and my corals are taking of now. I can also say that by me finally using RO/DI water has completed the loop. Now I just try to maintain my parameters as best that I can. Hang in there
Old 11/06/2007, 07:07 AM
30 year and over club

Quote:
Ditto. I set my tank up around X-mas time last year and I added coral maybe in early April. I struggled with my corals not growing and even dying, but right now I can say that my take has aged and my corals are taking of now.
This is true, I also started my tank around Christmas (1972 )
and it was a disapointment for a few years. It will level off and I think you will be happy.
Stay with it and enjoy it for what it is.
This is not an easy hobby but it is very rewarding.
Have fun.
Paul
Old 11/06/2007, 07:49 AM
Registered Member

WOW 1972!!!!!!!!!! I was just 2 years old
Old 11/06/2007, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by masonicman
Ditto. I set my tank up around X-mas time last year and I added coral maybe in early April. I struggled with my corals not growing and even dying, but right now I can say that my take has aged and my corals are taking of now. I can also say that by me finally using RO/DI water has completed the loop. Now I just try to maintain my parameters as best that I can. Hang in there
Actually I can echo this almost completely. My 210 has taken some time to really come around in its own.

Only recently has some of the corals really started to come out.
Old 11/06/2007, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

I have one coral thats prompted me really to start this. It a dual red trach brain. I got it about a month ago. It had just a couple spots where it got nipped or something, but overall it looked good. One side is almost halfway receded and it looks like the flesh is starting to come off the skeleton. The other side is eating pretty good, but it has a couple places where its starting to recede. I had a green trach that I got at the same time that basically melted within a week. I'm wondering if I just can't keep trachs or what. I haven't done a water change in a couple months and I'm wondering if that is whats it. Also my clowns like to hang around the trach a lot.