Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/13/2004, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

One general question here, and forgive me if I post it in the incorrect area. I am a newbie to this. but has anyone got any comments with regards to a ECO-Aqualizer, www.ecoaqualizer.com ?

Pisces from SA
Old 07/13/2004, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

Well I was just reviewing the product... wondering if it really does do what it says it does... I would like to get some reviews before I invest in this product.
Old 07/13/2004, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

I would ask Randy Holmes Farley what he thinks about this product in the chemistry forum. I would be interested to know as well.
Old 07/13/2004, 11:57 AM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefcrazed
I would ask Randy Holmes Farley what he thinks about this product in the chemistry forum. I would be interested to know as well.
Randy has already expressed his opinion of this product. In fact, hundreds of people have expressed their opinions of this product: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...&highlight=eco and http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...&highlight=eco

But before you go to those links with their hundreds of responses, you might want to check out the dissection pictures and testing of the product here: http://www.inlandreef.com/Testing/Eco.html

I am only posting this for the benefit of reefcrazed since it is his thread and he asked the question, I don't think we should discuss the eco-aqualizer in this thread. There are dozens of other threads already open on this product.
Old 07/13/2004, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

Thaks I will check these out!
Old 07/14/2004, 07:21 PM
Premium Member

ummm,

reefcrazed, you've got any rooms for rent? Or perhaps you could just rope off a corner close to your tank?

I'll sleep in the garage when you've got company over!
Old 07/15/2004, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

Actually you can rent the space under the tank.

Big enough and comfortable enough to sleep in. Plus you have the gentle sound of the ocean breeze (fans in caopy) as well as the water movement in the tank. If you are lucky, you may even get that fresh scent of the ocean breeze too. This can be yours "if the price is right!"
Old 07/15/2004, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

The amount and variety of things in your tank is unbelievable. I only hope i can have something so nice one day. Thanks for showing us it.
Old 07/16/2004, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

Awesome setup. I know this is a dumb question, but I'm curious how detailed you mapped your tank in terms of coral selction/placement and how much it evolved over time. For example, did you have a general idea where you wanted stony corals or did you know that you wanted a specific species in a certain spot. I'm stocking a 215 right now and any advice, suggestions, lessons, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Again, incredible tank.
Old 07/16/2004, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

I always knew I wanted a mixed reef w/ soft, hard and acro and inverts. Through experience I know what stings what and planned accordingly. Foe instance, I purposely sandwiched my Xenia inbetween two Acros that will not let it encroach on them. I have other softies grouped together so they will not grow onto other rocks because I put a gap there to stop them from spreading too much. I used to move things around until I was completely happy. Now all corals are encrusted and I cannot move them. There are a few I wish I could still move. I am a lot more particular on the type and color of corals I prefer now compared to when I first started. In fact there are a handful of colonies I want to sell to make room for a few other species I would like to get but cuurrently have no room for. I also have some sweet fragts that I need to keep in my grow out tank because there is no room for them in the main display.

Other than that, things kind of just turned out in a good way.
Old 07/16/2004, 11:46 AM
Reef Mania

I hear you. I am still new and do not know what can and can't be to close together as far as corals go. I should probably pick up a book and read everything I can about all the corals I have so I know where to put things when I get my bigger tank. The 55 gallon is still kinda easy to move things around and only a year old so not everything is encrusted yet.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 07/16/2004, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

YES! Read everything you possibly can!
Old 07/20/2004, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

reefcrazed,
I am currently restarting my 280gal reef and wanted to get more details about the circulation in the tank, specifically the closed loop systems. Can you describe the closed loop systems for me? do they exculsively move water / pull water from the tank and push it back in through the sea swirls, or do they do any mechanical or other types of filtering. Also in terms of maintenance, besides water changes, are you only surface skimming or do you pull any water from lower areas of the tank for filtration? How do you think this setup differs from / benefits over setting up some larger powerheads with a basic wave maker?
Old 07/20/2004, 06:49 AM
Registered Member

The closed loops pull water from 10"down in the back of the aquarium on each side of the rank and simply recirculate the water through the Sea Swirls wothout any other filtration. Besides water changes and surface skimming I also run carbon every other month for two weeks or so (when I sense that slight yellowish tint to the water when looking through the sides. I simply do not like the look of large powerheads in thewater and in addition I have heard that wavemakers greatly reduce the powerhead life by constantly turning on and off the pump.

I hope this helps. Good luck and show us pics when done or along the way!
Old 07/20/2004, 09:51 AM
Premium Member

Very impressive. I love the color and variety. Congratulations on the TOTM, you definately deserve it.
Old 07/20/2004, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

Thanks, I really appreciate the positive feedback.
Old 07/21/2004, 06:43 AM
Registered Member

That is one sweet tank and it sounds like you've got a pretty good woman too. Mine was also kind enough to loan me the dinning room for my tank. Congrats on TOTM honor, very well deserved.
Old 07/21/2004, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

Very Impressive. I love the colors.
Old 07/21/2004, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

love your tank. i admire all the hard work you put into that beautiful ecosystem. If you have time maybe you could give me some advice. just mail me if possible
Old 07/22/2004, 07:36 PM
Send me email with ?

reefcrazed,
Excellent job. I'm still not straight in my mind about the sequencing of your equipment. Pardon if I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Starting with the overflow, can you list in sequence (series) the equipment (including sump, refugium, etc.) the water goes through (especially noting where the pump(s) in the system is positioned.

Appreciate it.

LEE
Old 07/22/2004, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

Hmmm, ok. Water goes over the overflow down the drain pipes into the sump. Then in the sump the skimmer skims the water and puts the water back into the sump.

Then the main return pump (dolphin 4500) draws water from the bottom center of the sump and pumps it back into the tank via a 2" return pipe that splits into two 1 1/2" pipes which then splits again into 4 3/4" modular pipes in the aquarium on the top right and left sides.

In the back of the aquarium 24" from each side and 10" down from the top are two 2" screened holes that draw water in for the closed loop via 2 velocity pumps and 1 Ampmaster 3000. These are then returned to the tank via 4 1" sea swirls.

In the sump there is a power head that draws water into the refugium and a 1" screened hole at the top of the refugium where the water flows into back to the sump.

There is also a mag 24 and an Iwaki pump that power the frag grow out tank and the Q-tank. I have numerous maxi-jet powerheads in the frag tank.

I hope this clarifies any confusion.
Old 07/23/2004, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

vary nice wow
Old 07/24/2004, 05:43 AM
Registered Member

what additives do you use on your tank if any.
Old 07/24/2004, 10:40 AM
Premium Member

your tank is beautiful. my dream tank is a 240 gal (mainly because my husband will not let me go bigger) if I could get my tank to look as healthy as yours I'd be so HAPPY, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK
Old 07/26/2004, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

I use Kent Lugols weekly as well as Magnesium when levels are low. I have been testing this Amino Acid supplement from Salifert, but the conclusion is still out. I read somewhere that it stimulates the coral to fight off disease. I had those red bugs (not many at all) and I have been using theis product for about 5 months and I do not see any red bugs anymore. I will sometimes dose Strontium. That is about it. Besides Kent Super Buffer and Turbo Calcium occasionally.