Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/09/2004, 09:58 PM
Moved On

Your sure welcome, from Karen, lol, maam will do fine, hehehe, as I said, yours is the best TOTM I have seen. The most natural I have seen, hope you take the time to go see my rose tank, its the red WWW on top of my post
Old 07/10/2004, 03:27 PM
Moved On

Beautiful tank and awesome system. Looking at it gives me more motivation to dump another few grand into this hobby.
Old 07/10/2004, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

Absolutely Brilliant!
Old 07/10/2004, 03:52 PM
Premium Member

A fantastic tank! Love the look of XM 20Ks. Not only are the pics great but your story was interesting to read. Great job!
Old 07/10/2004, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

Beautiful tank...I bet it looks even better in person. Have you always had the XM20K?
Old 07/10/2004, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

I used to use the 20k radiums, but the color shifted to quickly and the bulb life was not as long as the XM's. I do still think that the XM's are a bit too blue for me. I had to change four of my VHO actinics to 10K's to balance the color out a bit more, but still seems just a bit too blue for me. I have tried so many other variations and combinations and like the current set-up the best.

Again, I am so happy all of you like the set-up!!!
Old 07/11/2004, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

amazing.....very impressive....

MikeS
Old 07/11/2004, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

Hi Reefcrazed. I have aquestion about the Tangs you are keeping. I currently keep a Large Puple Tang and lrg Sohal Tang together in my 180 Reef. I noticed you have 4 tangs, and are they all doing well together? Do you think if I added a Powder Blue Tang I may have major problems? I have read that Sohal Tangs get very aggresive as well as Powder Blue Tangs as they get older. I added the Sohal Tang last in my system and he has taken over as the dominant over the Purple. They are both large size but can fend one another. So do yopu think If I add a large Purple Tang do you think there will be problems? The tank is very healthy and free of any parasites... another thought there.
Old 07/11/2004, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

The Powder Blue was the last tang that I added. My Powder Blue is not aggressive at all. He only chases the Foxface every now and then. I think you may have some problems with three aggressive tangs in that 180g. That Sohol will get BIG. Better safe than sorry. If I were you, I would not disrupt a healthy eco system. Getting a fish out of a 180 would be a royal pain in the butt.
Old 07/11/2004, 07:08 PM
RC Sponsor

Wow, those are some really nice corals!

chadb
--
Old 07/11/2004, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

Some of them Chad, came from you!
Old 07/11/2004, 10:56 PM
Team RC Member

reefcrazed,

Beautiful tank! Congratulations!

Since you posted the picture of your pond, I guess it's OK if I ask what kind of fish you keep in it?

Thanks,
Old 07/12/2004, 07:00 AM
Registered Member

I keep Koi and a handful of sarassas (spelling)
Old 07/12/2004, 09:12 AM
Premium Member

Congrats Peter and thanks again for allow us to invade your house a few months ago. Now if I could ever clear out enough room for some more frags from you.
Old 07/12/2004, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

That's one heck of a setup you have there Peter. Congrats on a great reef tank. Absolutely beautiful.

Cheers,

Andy
Old 07/12/2004, 07:06 PM
Reef Mania

Just out of curriosity, what do you figure it cost you to setup that tank including corals and equipment over the past few years to get to the 525gallon tank. I am talking including the 525 gallon and everything it took to get everything you have now.

I am figuring around 35k, or am I wrong. There are alot of people who would love to have a tank like yours, but maybe the reallity is that maybe they should settle for a 150 or 180 gallon tank. I know I have temporaliy settled for a 55 gallon while I am learning the sump/refuge and top off stuff first. Later will come the 180 gallon, but I think never a 300 gallon or more let alone a 525 gallon.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 07/12/2004, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

rjwilson37- Without trying to sound rude (and god forbid my wife ever sees this thread- only kidding she accounts for every dime... One dollar for the tank, three dollars for her!!!)LOL, let's just say I earn a decent enough living to be able to accomplish what you see here today.) Also remember that with the exception of 5 colonies in this aquarium everything started as frags and is at least third generation aquacultured.

If you are in dire need to know the overall price, you can begin pricing this stuff out as I list all of my equipment in the TOTM thread. I do NOT believe it is as much as you say (35K).

P.S. I am now hiring Mortgage Consultants in NC, SC, and FL to help others be able to accomplish their reefing dreams. Work hard, play hard. I will train the right individuals (seriously). If you want to know more, PM me or go to www.GoOptimum.com
Old 07/12/2004, 11:01 PM
Reef Mania

No, not rude at all. I just kinda took my tanks cost and multyplied it by 9.5 because 55x9.5 is a 525 gallon tank. Then I added in extra equipment and a couple 100 gallon other tanks for refuge and sump type stuff. hehe I guess I payed way to much for my setup.

Take care and it is a great tank.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 07/13/2004, 03:04 AM
Ignore me & I'll go away!

Having read that I just got very, very intimidated.
That thing is friggin amazing.
I shudder to think how much beer it would cost me to get enough buddies to help move a 1400 lb tank into place.
Old 07/13/2004, 08:26 AM
Reef Mania

Rikko: To much beer and it won't get into the house in one piece, but maybe several pieces.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 07/13/2004, 08:26 AM
Registered Member

I do not think a 525 is 9.5 times as much as a 55. When you posted that threwad, I stopped to think about how much I have spent off the cuff and I was like, no way $35k. As you go up in size for bigger pumps etc... the amount does not double and triple etc... I f you know what I mean.
Old 07/13/2004, 08:32 AM
Reef Mania

Yes, you are right on that. I am sure the lighting as well will not go up 9 times as much which is a big expense. It may be 3 times as much for lighting compared to a 55 gallon, but definately not 9 times as much. Wow, what a relief, I may just be able to afford my big tank someday. If I keep making steps to bigger tanks gradually too, the expense will be over a 6-7 year period and will not even seem like alot.

Wew....

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 07/13/2004, 08:50 AM
Registered Member

Hi from South Africa,

All I can say is WELL DONE!

I have a similar sized tank which I am currently busy with. 1181 by 314 by 236 inches (LxBxH)

The tank arrived some weeks back with the sump which is 787 by 290 by 200 (LxBxH) so I have been busy knocking a hole through from my Garage and into my Lounge so that the tank will rest flush through the wall. To give the impression from the lounge side that you are looking at a live picture frame. I too am using the 2 x Durso Stand pipes in each overflow chamber, of which I have two in each back corner.

What I am quite interested in establishing from you is considerations you took into account for the following topics, and lessons you may have learnt and would avoid in the future. (You know for when you build your next ecocosim )

Circulation in the tank, did you consider a dump bucket?
Aquascaping design,
Filtration,

and any assitance or tips to do with the plumbing.

Your tank is an inspiration, I was begining to feel like I had bitten off more than I could chew. there are verry few people once you get to this size who can assist. So your comments and advice would be considered pearls of wisdom.

Kind regards

Eugene

Pisces from SA
Old 07/13/2004, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

Seems like you have a nice project on your hands!

I have never considered a dump bucket due to my lack of experience and skill working with them. I also have good experience with closed loops so i decided to stick with what I am familiar with.

The aquascaping did not come out as I had hoped, but nonetheless came out pretty good. I was going for three islands with the center island being connected to the island on the right (which it is), but the spacing came out too close together and now with the coral growth you cannot really tell their are those islands.

My plumbing came out okay but is not the neatest job in the world, but that is ok because all of this mess is in the garage and you cannot see or notice it from the room viewing the tank. The only think I would change is to perhaps put a pully system on the canopy so I can get into the back of the aquarium from the front a bit easier. Now I need to scrunch in between the canopy and the tank. Luckily I am not a big guy or I would be screwed. I would also make my overflows a little smaller than they actually are today. They take up quite a bit pf space.

Filtration is traditional Berlin style. Live rock, (live sand) DSB in refugium, big skimmer and that is about it.

Good luck. Be sure to post pics when the project is complete ar progress pics to ssee the development of your chemistry project!
Old 07/13/2004, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for that, and as it progresses I will submit some pics.

Pisces from SA