Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences

Old 12/26/2007, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

Beware of Aquatic Hobby Aquarium Supply Online store.

I have a very bad experience with Aquatic Hobby Aquarium Supply. I purchased a Current USA Power Fisson Skimmer from them. It did not fit my tank ( Eurobrace 2 inch tank rim ) so I contacted their customer service dept. They charged 20% restocking fee, then when they realized that I try the skimmer, they won't take it back. On top of that the customer service rep got rude on me. Wow, I couldn't believe it!!! They have no customer service skills. Just to warn any buyers who came across this company online, check the return policy before you buy. I will NEVER buy from them, no matter how cheap are their pricing.
Old 12/26/2007, 11:19 AM
Premium Member

A 20% restocking fee is standard for online merchants. Why shouldn't they charge a restocking fee? Your the one who didn't check compatability before you ordered. Also they can't sell it as new if you have used it. If it wouldn't fit, why would you use it regardless?
Old 12/26/2007, 12:29 PM
Premium Member

Sorry but you should read the information on their website. I had never heard of this company but it took me a grand total of about 20 seconds to find their return policy:

Quote:
Closed Packages: Because we do not accept returned items once they have been opened, please check the item package and label to be sure you received the correct item. If the manufacturer package and seal is still intact, you may return the item(s) to Aquatic Hobby Aquarium Supply within 30 days of original purchase date for exchange, credit or refund. Shipping excluded with a 20% restocking fee. The return shipping is at the customers expense.
I hardly think that they did anything wrong when they clearly state it on the website.

I often see "customer service" skills as a complaint when the customer doesn't get what they want. It's common on this and many forums and is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. In this instance it was your fault in my opinion only not theirs.

While I am sorry you didn't get to return your product, I really am, I recommend you read all about where, and how you are buying a product before you do so. There are many venders you can go to that have no issue with this, Drs. Foster and Smith, Marine Depot etc.
Old 12/26/2007, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

Why would you even use a Current USA Power Fisson Skimmer? seriously.... get a real skimmer not something cheap

~Its not the size of the skimmer but the motion of the ocean~

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
Old 12/26/2007, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

I am not stating that the company trick me into buying their product or that they were wrong in not giving me credit or return. My intention is to let everyone know that they were rude to me. I have been in the customer service business for many years and was very disturb at how I was treated. In this case, the rep did not handle this situation with any kind of professionalism. If you want to do business with a company that is rude to you, by all means do it.
Old 12/27/2007, 01:50 PM
Garbologist

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11458590#post11458590 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefhead165
Why would you even use a Current USA Power Fisson Skimmer? seriously.... get a real skimmer not something cheap
Please keep your comments related to the thread. Comments like this are unwelcome here.

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."