Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/07/2007, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

fantastic...i noticed how your dominant color seems to be blue, inspires me to add more blue in my tank. congratulations on your win, very well deserved. now all you need are Tridacnid clams and you're set!
Old 12/07/2007, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

What else can be said? Its a awsome tank,a real inspiration to a beginner like myself.
Old 12/07/2007, 06:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
All the PVC pipes are replaced yearly
really? why?
Old 12/07/2007, 06:28 PM
Premium Member

Is looks like you have all your probes for the AC3 in some pvc piping contraptions. Can you explain how you have this set up and why?

Thanks,
Nate
Old 12/07/2007, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

Beautiful tank!
Old 12/07/2007, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

how are you able to keep all those sps so close to one another?
Old 12/07/2007, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

Dear Mr. Kai Leung !

what a beautiful color of yr SPS corals I am very impressed !
need to know if you feed your corals if affirmative I would to know with what kind of food !
congratulations !!

Regards
Fernando Chang
Panama
Old 12/08/2007, 12:51 AM
AEFW Assasinator

Congratulations!

That is one absolutely SICK SICK SICK tank!!!!
Old 12/08/2007, 06:50 AM
Premium Member

tankguy001 - Thanks a lot!

cy88 - Thanks so much!

Rekonn - Thanks a lot! There are lots of pods in the display tank, internal overflow box and my frag tank.

Osmotic Shock - Thanks!

ezcompany - Thanks so much! I like to collect blue sps and there are lots of blue color sps stationed at the right side of my tank. I really doubt if my angels would leave clams alone.

jwccwj - Thanks!

Elliott - Thanks. The reason why I replace it every year is because the inside of the PVC pipes will get dirty as time goes by. I designed the plumbing as simply as possible. It usually takes a few hours to replace all of them with new ones.

gnatp2 - Thanks. There are three In-Line probe holders inserted into the return PVC pipes. As the water flow continuously across the electrodes, the measurement taken seems to be more accurate. Also, it is very easy for me to do the maintenance and calibration when needed.

madtek580 - Thanks!

Gooli - Thanks. I positioned the corals at least 6 inches apart from each other at the initial stage. Although the tank may seem full in the pictures, the corals actually have lots of room to expand both vertically and horizontally as described in the article.

Fernando Chang - Thanks for your support. I do not feed my corals directly. Apart from the appropriate lighting they can get, I believe they receive enough food from the fish waste.

raddogz - Thanks so much!
Old 12/08/2007, 07:47 AM
Registered Member

You have done an amazing job with that tank. It is absolutly beautiful, congrats.
Old 12/08/2007, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

wow very true a good skimmer can compensate for heavy feeding. What can i say you are doing a magnificent job no matter how much you feed and your tank proves it. Congralutions and wonderful tank!!

Also thanks for taking the time to reply back to my post along with everybody as well. You deserve tank of the month!!!
Old 12/08/2007, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

Wow! Im speechless...i would love to have something half that beautiful one day.

I am a financial advisor, so i am always thinking of the costs of such a tank. What do you estimate to be your total investment into the tank and how much does it cost on monthly upkeep including lectric bills, etc?
Old 12/08/2007, 04:44 PM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

Could you expand a little on your auto feeder?

What kind is it and how do you have it setup to avoid the overflow? Any pictures?

I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time
Give it right back to you....One of these days
Old 12/08/2007, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

Great job laying out the corals according to position on the color wheel. It really paid off!!
Could you tell us how you're attaching your corals to the rocks? I see a few on pegs, but the rest have grown so well that they obscure their base.
Old 12/08/2007, 09:31 PM
~~ P.P.P.P.P.P.P ~~

Simply mesmerizing...........
Old 12/08/2007, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

Wow I love the beautiful colors of your corals the blue really stands out!!!!!!!
Old 12/08/2007, 11:09 PM
Registered Member

You said you "glued" your rocks together. What exactly are you using and is it really holding them together good? Thanks.
Old 12/09/2007, 12:34 AM
Premium Member

Awesome tank - I love the colors!!!

How do you "vacuum" up all the detritus? Is it some type of sho-vac mod?
Old 12/09/2007, 07:37 AM
Premium Member

mixed_reefer - Thanks a lot

underWoasisjake - Thanks again. It is my pleasure to share my tank with other hobbyist. The skimmer is doing a pretty good job for my tank.

polarbearsd - Thanks! I don't think I will be able to figure out how much I invested into the livestock. As for the equipment, the skimmer is the most expensive equipment in my system. Also, most of the equipment were transferred from my previous 90g tank. The electric bill of my house comes to approxiamately $160 a month. I guess around $70 of electricity is used to run my system.

AcroSteve - I use the Ehiem auto feeder, which is set to feed my fish 4 times a day. The auto feeder is placed next the to the right SeaSwirl. As the food drop, the sea swirl will bring part of the food down. The fish will try to grab any food floating on the water surface. And the food will float in a counter-clockwise motion. When the food move near the overflow box, the wavebox located in front of the internal overflow box will move and bring down a large portion of the leftover food. The rest of the food on the water surface will go around the overflow box and move back to the left sea swirl, and the fish will finish the leftover food.

This is a picture to show how the fish grabbed the food when the timer was on.

sivert55 - Thanks! I use a small amount of epoxy with super glue on both sides, one side attaches onto the coral, while the other side attaches to the live rock.

T Man - Thanks!

Little_Widefx - Thanks, I am glad that you liked it.

SCIFI_3D_zoo - As mentioned in the article, I glued the corals with epoxy to the live rocks. I did not glue the live rocks together. There are few large pieces of the live rocks at the bottom, and they are held firmly on the PVC docking stations to support the smaller-sized live rocks on top.

MO Will - Thanks! In order to siphon out the detritus at the front, all I do is open the top of the frame mount and use a hand operated siphon pump. The process usually takes me around 5 minutes.
Old 12/09/2007, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

Hi Kai Leung, i am very encourage by your beautiful tank. Could you share how do you direct your flow to enable the collection of the detritus at the corner of your tank ? thanks .
Old 12/09/2007, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

such eye popping colors! Its a wonderful tank.

Your SPS seem to grow very naturally, with branches that are not too long and "leggy". I have some acros that grow very long and do not branch out with short stubby branches like yours, which seems so nice.

Do you trim back your SPS, dont they grow out of control sometimes and you have to prune them?

Also, do you try to minimize the use of the plating capricornus corals in your tank since they grow out fast and block out the light? If not, again, are you just vigilently pruning them back?

and if you prune back, do you throw out the extras or give them away to people?
Old 12/09/2007, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

Hi everyone,
im new on this site and have been doing marine fish for a year now, but my dream tank is to do a tank like yours mr kai Leung, ive got a long long way to go.
Fantastic tank,keep looking at your pictures,beautiful!!!

Ive only got a 3ft tank that has 3XT5 tubes all marine white,ive also got an internal box filter and a external filter.I also have a venturi skimmer,can you recommend any other equipment or change of equipment i need to start me on my way to get my tank as stunning as yours?
Kind regards
Old 12/10/2007, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

You really have a nice looking tank. Great job!
Old 12/11/2007, 12:44 AM
Team RC Member

This is a real show stopper. Beautifully planned and executed masterpiece. Brilliant!
Old 12/11/2007, 01:30 AM
Registered Member

Simply stunning!

And Kudos to the way you have replied to everyone thus far!