Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2007, 09:07 PM
Premium Member

The nicest SPS tank I've ever seen. Great job!
Old 12/06/2007, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

Great tank, Awesome TOTM!
Old 12/06/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

Very nice tank indeed. Excellent job thus far and the colors you have achieved are FANTASTIC!!!! How long has the tank been running in its new, 320g setup?

Cheers
Old 12/06/2007, 09:22 PM
Dismembered

OH MY!!!
Old 12/06/2007, 09:38 PM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

OH MY!!! indeed.

I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time
Give it right back to you....One of these days
Old 12/06/2007, 09:39 PM
RC Mod

Beautiful reef tank!!! Congratulations on TOTM.
Old 12/06/2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

Your tank is one of the nicest ive ever seen.Graet job.
Old 12/06/2007, 10:21 PM
Premium Member

amazing colors and growth, a testament to your husbandry skills, thanks for all the details
Old 12/06/2007, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

Ok, my wife...who thinks sps are just boring, colorful sticks...could not be removed from in front of the monitor...she said the word, "wow" more than she ever has before.......now that's a nice sps tank!
Old 12/06/2007, 10:47 PM
Premium Member

Congratulations, certainly doing something right!
How do you manage feeding 8 to 12 times per day
Old 12/06/2007, 11:30 PM
Premium Member

Does it get better then this.!!!

PS:
One more Canadian Tank to hit front page on RC
truly Amazing.
Old 12/07/2007, 01:37 AM
Registered Member

Awesome job, keep up the good work!!!
Old 12/07/2007, 02:04 AM
Registered Member

Congratulations,you really do a great job.

i read your tank,and want to ask for your help.I am not quite sure of bared-bottomed system,wet-skimming and top off system.in the mean time,what is fish-room?Besides used for maintaince and keep equipment,what is function?i would really appreciate your help.

jeri
my email:zhanyajing0905@hotmail.com
Old 12/07/2007, 02:16 AM
Registered Member

Wow absolutely beautiful!!!! Hopefully my reef tank will someday look like that, excellent job! Love the variety of tangs my favorite. Just one question like mentioned earlier how do you manage to feed 8 -12 times per day and keep nitrate and phospate levels down. Please let me know Thanks
Old 12/07/2007, 02:50 AM
Registered Member

Beautiful tank!! Lot's of eye candy in one tank.
Congratulation!
Old 12/07/2007, 03:24 AM
Registered Member

Gorgeous tank indeed. Congratulations!
Old 12/07/2007, 03:28 AM
Registered Member

Beautiful reef tank, congratulations !!
You think feeding 8-12 time is a little overboard?
Old 12/07/2007, 04:12 AM
Registered Member

Very nice tank, especially being chemical free, no zeovit etc.
Old 12/07/2007, 07:02 AM
Registered Member

Just plain outstanding! You've proven you can feed your fish in a more natural way without sacrificing water quality. And the choice of fish are a little daring as well. The frequent feeding no doubt reduces temptation to sample the coral. Wow, I will never be able to achieve a tank like this and am in complete awe.
May everyone have equanimity, free from hatred and attachment.
Old 12/07/2007, 07:25 AM
Premium Member

Great tank!
And thanks for providing a convenient list of reefsafe (I hope!)
Angelfish:

Goldflake angel – 4” Large number of gold-colored flakes throughout with a yellowish body and an extremely good appetite
Chrysurus angel – 6” Stately in appearance, it is also the largest and most aggressive fish in the tank
Scribbled angel – 3” – Female with vibrant colors; a good aquarium fish
Personifer angel – 4.5” Sleek black body with a charcoal-blue face and a peaceful personality
A pair of Regal angels – 2” and 2.5” Usually seen swimming together; very remarkable in color; shows no aggressive behavior toward one another
Mated pair of Flame angels – both 2.25” Striking red with clean black stripes; have managed to keep their original colors; swim together as a pair
Flameback angel – 2.25” Very timid in nature; loves hiding behind the rocks
Majestic angel – 4” Often seen swimming in the open, unlike most of its kind
Potter’s angel – 2.25” Interestingly patterned; aggressive towards smaller fish (flameback)
Old 12/07/2007, 07:35 AM
Premium Member

Skipper - I could not be more thankful for your time and effort in publishing my article. A million thanks!

Dxmarinefish - Thanks for all your compliments! Since I am using the Nikon DL camera, which doesn't come with a video component (function). I will try to get a new POS camera and post some videos of my tank later on.

wcpeixoto - Thanks so much. I made a mistake in writing the PO4 level, it should have been >0.03 instead of 0.3.

Marko9 - Thanks, it is my pleasure to share my tank with other hobbyist.

pvtschultz - Thank you!

invincible569 - Thanks for your support! I am expecting to see more pictures from your beautiful tank.

fishdoc11 - Hope you enjoyed it! Many thanks!

Racenrich - Thanks! The plumbing is basically very simple. I just used the same return pump with two penductors from my previous 90g tank. If you take a look at the full tank shots, on the top right hand corner you will notice two penductors, which is the water return outlet from the pump. The water going back to the sump via two 1 inchs PVC pipe, which is located under the internal overflow box of the tank. I use a separate mag drive 9 pump for the prop tank.

gnatp2 - Thanks so much. I reviewed the article many times, but I overlooked the PO4 level. I apologize for my mistake, it should have been >0.03 instead of 0.3.

Oldude - Thank you for all your kind words.

Baros - I can't believe how much support I am getting. Thank you!

mille239 - Thank you!

reefing102 - Hope you enjoyed it! Thanks!

i2ik - Thank you for your compliments. I am glad that you liked it.

otiso777 - Thanks!

Craig Lambert - Thanks! The tank is not as heavy as I thought it would be. Four people will be able to carry it. The wide of the tank is 32 inch which perfectly fits through my doorway.

frogiii - Thanks so much!

snorvich - Thanks a lot. All my angels are very well behaved since I keep them very well fed. There are just few pieces of LPS in the tank. My tank has no room for more LPS. Also, I don't want them to sit at the bottom restricting the flow. There are certain types of LPS that I wouldn't want to try placing in my tank, such as acans, simply because I wouldn't trust my angels with them.

Timinator - Thanks so much.

melev - I really appreciate your support. I am glad that you like this little idea. I will try to post more pictures of fish and corals in a single shot.

JPMagyar - It takes me roughly 3 hours weekly for water change and maintenance. Apart from that, it usually takes me about 15- 30 mins for daily maintenance. The most time consuming part is placing new coral in the tank. It takes few hours to make rearrangement. I believe there is still lots of room for my corals to grow. I am always thinking of setting up a bigger tank in the future.

jeweldamsel - Thanks a lot! I clean the inside wall of the front acrylic every two or three days. The internal magnet is cleansed throughly prior usage, when the magnet is not in use, I try not to leave it in the tank. Before the front acrylic wall is cleaned, I siphoned out all the detritus left on the front bottom part of the tank.

acrouse - Many thanks!

KEEPERZ - Thanks so much!

killagoby - Thanks a lot!

fisheebill - Thanks!

THP - Thanks a lot! My 320g tank has been running for close to 1 year and 9 months now. But most of the corals has been with me with over 3 years. They were transferred from my previous 90g tank.

saltycreefer- Thanks!

AcroSteve - Thanks!

cward - Thanks so much!

33g - Thanks!

Elliott - Thanks! I am glad that you enjoyed it.

zacharytrimble - Thanks so much and I am happy that you and your wife liked it!

crazzy - Thanks! I set my autofeeder to feed my fish 4 times a day. I feed one to two times in the morning before work and after work.

J.P.Silva - Thanks a lot.

MG21 - Thanks!

jeri - Thanks a lot. I have learnt almost everything from the forum. There are many good threads providing lots of information on how to setup a bare bottom system.

underWoasisjake - The autofeeder is set to feed it 4 times day and I also feed them before and after work. I have a good skimmer for aggressive nutrient export. Also, the regular maintenance and husbandry are crucial for my setup to keep the water parameter in check.

Baboo - Thanks!

Antiguan - Thanks!

saltbox125 - Thanks! I always make sure all my fish are well fed and are little bit overweight. I do not feed a large amount of food in a single feeding. Instead, I feed enough quantity of food for the fish to consume within a minute so no food is wasted and left in the tank.

recife111 - Thanks a lot. I am very happy with my tank now.

FunkieReefJunkie - Thanks so much. I am glad that you liked it.

ishmael - Thanks a lot. I am glad that you liked my fish. All my angels are carefully selected to suit my tank to ensure long time survival rate. As for "reefsafe", one has to be careful in selecting the right fish for a reef tank.

Last edited by fastfish; 12/07/2007 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12/07/2007, 07:46 AM
Registered Member

Wow , thats one beautiful tank
Old 12/07/2007, 11:35 AM
Registered Member

I am new to this hobby (> 6 months), and I cannot believe what I just saw from fashfish's tank! Absolutely stunning.

The more stunning part is the amount of dedication that he has put towards it in picking the "perfect" fishes and corals. Best tank I've seen - for sure.
Old 12/07/2007, 01:29 PM
Premium Member

Congratulations on a stunningly beautiful tank! Your feeding regimen is very frequent, but so simple! With the tangs I thought you would have to feed nori, and I'm surprised the only frozen food you feed is cyclop-eeze, and only on a weekly basis. Do you have lots of pods and such from your refugium? Makes all the effort put into coral and fish food seem silly when you can achieve the results you have with just pellets.
Old 12/07/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

WOW!