Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/05/2007, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

Absolutely Stunning. I hope you realize what a great accomplishment you've made and wish you continued success!
Old 07/05/2007, 10:55 AM
Catch and release

Very well thought out design and implementation.....just an amazing tank/work of art

Congrats on TOTM, well deserved!

Chris
Old 07/05/2007, 12:19 PM
Moved In

Your tank is absolutely beautiful. I would love to have a 3-sided viewing.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 07/05/2007, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Very nice tank. You said you keep it silent, how do you achieve this?
Old 07/05/2007, 01:20 PM
Premium Member

Great looking tank, wonderfull job on it.

I noted that you have had to remove a number of angel fish and tangs from your tank due to nipping. How did you go about removing the fish. I love angel fish, but have been nervous about adding them to a tank, only to have to remove most of the rock to get them out later.
Old 07/05/2007, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

Awesome tank man, and I hope you know thats it's an inspiration for a lot of us.
Old 07/05/2007, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

props to you and your fish
Old 07/05/2007, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

wow....very impressive tank
Old 07/06/2007, 01:50 AM
Registered Member

Lockes – As far as I know you can only get readings over the web by a third party software, no option to change the settings. Regarding the SMS module it only works with som older mobiles which isn’t produced anymore.

UrbanSage – I’m not that fond of hermits as they tend to climb into the corals and get stuck. I’ve added a few to get some diversity, and I do think they look cool. Besides, for some strange reason, “that cute little hermit crawling in the sand” is usually one of the first things non-aquarists notices.

Polwick – The tank is placed in the living room next to the tv couch so I wanted it to be dead silent. By putting all the equipment in a room downstairs, and installing a durso standpipe and som very quiet fans, the only thing hearable when sitting next to it is a low humming sound coming from the tunze pumps.

Meschaefer - I got two size of traps that I use depending on the fish. I put the trap in the tank, and every time I feed the fish, the food is placed inside the trap. Within 1-3 days even the most shy fish will go inside for a snack. With a little patience I've had no problems getting the fish out. No luck with firefish, anthias and clownfish though. Here is a picture of the small trap: http://www.cowfish.info/content/325%.../_DSC5270w.jpg

Thx again all for the positive feedback

Rudi
Old 07/06/2007, 07:00 AM
Psychedelic Wonders

what is the black material you used on outside? did you have to do anything to it to make it black, or did it come like that?

i wish i would seen your tank about 2 weeks ago, i just spent $115 on some black acrylic. its gonna look sweet, but its expensive.

Last edited by agoutihead; 07/06/2007 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07/06/2007, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

thats what i like not too much equipment no fuge right congrats.
Old 07/07/2007, 01:51 AM
Premium Member

Congratulations, A very inspirational tank. truly pretty tank. Quick question, I never saw anyone running the Deltec calcium reactor with ARM media, what made you change from the recommended Rowalith media? thanks in advance

Rogger
Old 07/07/2007, 02:27 AM
Registered Member

Great tank!!!
How do you manage to keep constant values with the calcium reactor while changing the ph inside?
I am afraid you will soon have to remove also the navarchus angel, as it wakes up one morning starting eating sps corals,so be prepared!!!Thank you for shearing info!!
Old 07/07/2007, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

Rudi, your tank is beautiful. I especially like the minimalist approach in the design; your eye is immediately drawn to the tank, as well it should be. I love the looks of these kinds of tanks as the focus is entirely on the aquarium itself and not some overly embellished stand or canopy. Simple, yet gorgeous. Thank you for sharing!
Old 07/08/2007, 07:45 AM
Nothing to put here

Hey I just wanted to say that your tank is stunning. And I'm not one of those people who drops in on every TOTM thread and says that either. You truly had a plan and stuck to it, and the whole aquarium (even the room its in) comes together as one nice piece of artwork.

I love the aquascape, the amount of growth, and the overall look of the tank now. I wanted to suggest that you do not let the corals get out of hand and crowd the tank, and dont let the two reef structures grow together. Some more growth is okay, but dont let the whole tank fill in... it's appeal is the open space, the cleanliness, and the lack of clutter.
Old 07/08/2007, 09:25 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Wow, that's a gorgeous tank!
Old 07/09/2007, 05:10 AM
Registered Member

Grattis!
Old 07/09/2007, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

Con graduation on totm, you deserved it for this month. I like your cool 3 view side because it makes me feel like I' m in the ocean.

What kind of material you had cover the bottom, and top of your tank?
Old 07/09/2007, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

Agoutihead – It’s 12mm MDF (medium density fibreboard) painted with grey color.

Rogger Castells – When I started using a calcium reactor, ARM was the only media my LFS had in stock. I heard many recommend it so I havent thought about changing.

Tasos – The ph in the calcium reactor is lowered while kalkwasser is added, that makes the values in the aquarium stay constant.

NanoCube-boy – It’s 12 mm MDF.

I have removed a lot of live rock and corals since the aquarium initially was setup in september last year, and its really hard not to add "just one more coral”, but im trying to
stick with the original plan, and that makes it rewarding getting such a good response. Thx again.
Old 07/09/2007, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

phocuz, I see, thanks for answering.

What are these two device, or are they the same?

Old 07/09/2007, 11:12 PM
TRC Leader

The first one is a Calcium Reactor. The second is Kalk Reactor.
Old 07/10/2007, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

Wow!!!!
Old 07/10/2007, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

Very nice set up which is made even more beautiful with your decor. Everything flows so well throughout your home. The photo of your daughter speaks volumes for keeping a reef tank! My grandchildren love to come over and look into my two SW tanks with the magnifying glass. And they always notice when I have added something new.

Your photos are spectacular and I especially like the ones of your dragonet fish. The one with the black background is gorgeous! All of your inhabitants are very pretty and healthy looking.

Could you elaborate on what techniques you used for making the images? They are just great!

I love your little clams. Will they stay on the substrate or will you move them to the live rock at a later date?

Beautiful setup and home!

Susie

"You learn something new everyday"!
Old 07/10/2007, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

off the chain
Old 07/11/2007, 05:41 AM
Registered Member

phocuz: How have you connected the 12 mm. MDF with the steelframe in the celling? Have you made som kind of put on/take off mekanism?