Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month

Old 04/17/2007, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by extinguishfire
How do you keep the glass so clean. I find that with my nano that the rocks get so close to the side that I have trouble keeping them clean. It looks like your aquascaping is close as well to the glass.
I was wondering how you clean the side glass with the limited space you have between rock and side glass. I always have trouble with my nano cube.
Old 04/17/2007, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by extinguishfire
How do you keep the glass so clean. I find that with my nano that the rocks get so close to the side that I have trouble keeping them clean. It looks like your aquascaping is close as well to the glass.
Quote:
Originally posted by louist
extinguishfire, I use a plastic scraper. It's the ones used by painters for scraping stuff and filling stuff (you probably can tell I am not a painter ).

It's cheap and works well. It chews through coralline too.
Old 04/18/2007, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

Hey Louist, Awesome tank man, I give props for your nano tank. I never seen a nano tank in a TOTM, it's must be a lot of work because everything so confine. I have problem with my nanocube, and it's tough to keep the tank happy. Any tips? ahah

I seen a few stuff you have in your tank that I like. I saw the Mandarin, Tubastrae, and the calcium reactors.

I understand why you have to over feed and change massive water because I saw the Sun Coral in your tank.

What kind of calcium reactor is that?That look really cool.
Old 04/19/2007, 02:29 AM
Registered Member

photography

what camera do you use for those pictures, i've been looking into photography and i'm looking for a good camera to start out with/ one to eventually own, thanks
Old 04/21/2007, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

Yea man, I can't ever achieve the pictures like you taken. I only have a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-P8 with 3x optical zoom, 3.2 mega pixels.

Do you think I can take some nice photos like yours, with my camera?
Old 04/21/2007, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

Question

Wonderful tank!!

I looked at the drawings of Tigahboy's (that you refered to) and still have a question. Apologies if it is too basic.

Does the tank drain through the Durso standpipe and into the filter bag and then into the sump?

Thanks.
Old 04/22/2007, 12:22 AM
Psychedelic Wonders

you have truely inspired me!

because of you i just spent money i dont have on a nano tank and fuge setup.

i built myself out of acrylic a 16x15x13 cube with a built in overflow partition. it then goes to a 10 gallon fuge with fiji mud in one section, sand in the middle and a return pump.

i have just set up the fuge as of yesterday, my tank should be ready by tomorrow as i built it myself.

i decided to go with the sunpod 70w 16.5" light fixture. im hoping to combat the heat issues you were having with the 150w. plus i get built in moonlights.

ill post pics when everything is set up.
Old 04/22/2007, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoCube-boy
I understand why you have to over feed and change massive water because I saw the Sun Coral in your tank.

What kind of calcium reactor is that?That look really cool.
I target feed the tank, so there is very little to no left over food. The mandarin doesn't compete with the Tubastraea, so that has really simplified feeding the coral.

That calcium reactor is made by Aquatica Australia, which is no longer in business. It's a very simple reactor which you can easily make if you are handy with acrylic.

Quote:
Originally posted by shockakahn69
what camera do you use for those pictures, i've been looking into photography and i'm looking for a good camera to start out with/ one to eventually own, thanks
Camera is Canon EOS 10D. Lenses are:
180 f3.5 macro
70-200 f2.8 IS L
MP-E65
28-80 f3.5-5.6
Manfrotto 055NAT tripod with 3-way pan head
I also use a sand bag as support since tank is on a desk.

Quote:
Do you think I can take some nice photos like yours, with my camera?
I am not familiar with P&S, but whether you can get photos like these depends on the close-up/macro capability of your camera. Some P&S can take accessories that clip onto the lens and this allows for better macro ability.

Taking good macro photos comes down to careful technical execution, practice and patience. Macro is one of the harder style of photography as any new owner of a macro lens will tell you So don't feel bad if your photos are not turning out well. There's been a few articles in RKM on photography, you might want to check those out. Check the photography forum also, there was a recent thread by a guy who used a reversed lens technique on his P&S to get excellent macro results.

Quote:
Originally posted by reefnubee7
Does the tank drain through the Durso standpipe and into the filter bag and then into the sump?

Thanks.
Yes, that's it.

agoutihead, that sounds great! I wish I have the skills to build my own fish tank (imagine the possibilities!). I look forward to seeing your tank journal in the nano tank forum.
Old 04/22/2007, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

Louis, Thank you for your replies.

I'm not handy with acrylic, but I know this guy that is, but I was just asking about it.

I figured you might say the attachment macro lens. Yes, it's very tough to achieve nice macro photos sometime and I guess I need more resource and practice.
Old 04/22/2007, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

agoutihead, everyone -

If you like louist's tank, here is something that I think looks pretty similar...great price too. (I am not affiliated with this at all, just found on eBay)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Finnex-8-Gallon-...QQcmdZViewItem

Tank dimension: 15.75" x 10.25" x 11.80" high
Tank style & material: round corner glass tank (5mm glass)
Lighting: 24W power compact fluorescent lighting, silver aluminum hood, with
polished reflector, acrylic lens. 50/50 daylight/actinic blue bulb
Filter: hang on filter, 63 gallon per hour flow, sponge and carbon cartridge filtration
-------------------------------------------------------
Old 04/23/2007, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

Ocean in a box, awesome user name dude. Nice tank there, very cool looking tank on ebay you had found.

Louis, I forgot to ask you something. Do you have a lid or something to cover that little tank?
Old 04/23/2007, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

Awsome little tank!! i've got a 29 going that i'm trying to dial in.
all i have on it is a tunze nano skimmer with the second chamber
for carbon, other filter media and a tunze nano turbelle.

i've got 3 firefish, an anemone, pulsing xenia, zoas and something
called blue coral?? i'm not that familar with, it was on the rock
with the zoas and it came out of a 300 gal tank that was dismantled. i also have a torch and crabs and snails.

shellie
Old 04/23/2007, 04:15 PM
Any South Siders?

Louis,
Finally had the time to read the writeup on your nano....VERY NICE.

To be honest, i think your photography skills surpass the nano setup !
Again great job!

Rich K.
Old 04/23/2007, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Louis, I forgot to ask you something. Do you have a lid or something to cover that little tank?
Nope. I didn't feel the need since I wasn't keeping any fish that has a track record of jumping when spooked.

Shellie, take your time with it and it will be much more rewarding at the end.

Quote:
Originally posted by Racenrich
Louis,
Finally had the time to read the writeup on your nano....VERY NICE.

To be honest, i think your photography skills surpass the nano setup !
Again great job!

Rich K.
Thanks Rich! I love your avatar Tell me that's you on the bike?!
Old 04/23/2007, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Awesome!!!
Old 04/24/2007, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

Beautiful!
Old 04/25/2007, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

Louis, you are my nano hero.....That is the sweetest !
Old 04/25/2007, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

NanoCube-boy,
Thanks...I'm in the middle of a 33g Oceanic cube project right now and I'm shooting for the "Ocean In A Box" look for sure.
louist's tank is the epitome of what a nano reef should look like & what I'm hoping mine turns out to be some day.
Old 04/26/2007, 08:29 AM
Any South Siders?

Louis....i wish it was....granite it's a pic of my two favorite hobbies....okay i have 3 favorite hobbies......!

Rich K.
Old 04/26/2007, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

Hey Louis,

Great tank I'm another fellow Sydney resident. I have been to all the stores you mentioned above except for Kim's which i got the chance to visit today for the first time and then it all made sense.
I'm pretty sure they will be my new favorite LFS. I usually get my saltwater refills from Strictly (5.50 a drum) i dunno if it was on special or thats how it is normally but it was 3 bucks a refill at Kim's

Have you had a chance to check out St George Aquariums Rockdale & Majestic Aquariums in Taren Point? There a bit south but yeh very much worth the visit.

I just had two question about your Tunze items who did ya buy them from or did ya buy from online ?

And where did ya get ya metal halide lights for that size tank was it a DIY project or am i just not looking at the right places ?

Once again a great tank its a tribute your husbandry and its about time a nano made TOTM - even sweeter if its a fellow Aussie
Old 04/27/2007, 06:51 PM
Moved On

I love that acan in the bottom right corner.. Stunning..
Old 05/05/2007, 02:27 AM
Registered Member

hey louist!! that's one sweet nano.. real nice. hope you can post shots of your diy reactor. or maybe show us how such a small reactor works.

thanx
Old 05/06/2007, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

louist-
I'm wondering if you or anyone else on the web knows if I could buy already made external durso's like in your pictures a little earlier in your thread?
Contacted Rich at http://www.dursostandpipes.com/ but he doesn't do externals I guess, said the one in your link must have been made by the thread author. (you!) I didn't realize you made them.
Anyone have more exact details on how to make and materials list, I'd love to try it myself, otherwise looking to buy already done.

Nice job again on your tank and entire setup louist!
Old 05/07/2007, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brownsugar
Hey Louis,

Great tank I'm another fellow Sydney resident. I have been to all the stores you mentioned above except for Kim's which i got the chance to visit today for the first time and then it all made sense.
I'm pretty sure they will be my new favorite LFS. I usually get my saltwater refills from Strictly (5.50 a drum) i dunno if it was on special or thats how it is normally but it was 3 bucks a refill at Kim's

Have you had a chance to check out St George Aquariums Rockdale & Majestic Aquariums in Taren Point? There a bit south but yeh very much worth the visit.

I just had two question about your Tunze items who did ya buy them from or did ya buy from online ?

And where did ya get ya metal halide lights for that size tank was it a DIY project or am i just not looking at the right places ?

Once again a great tank its a tribute your husbandry and its about time a nano made TOTM - even sweeter if its a fellow Aussie
Hey Brownsugar, $3/25L is Kim's usual price on NSW. They used to do me $3/30L (because I have 30L drums) but not lately, perhaps because I've been really busy and haven't been in much at all.

I heard about St George and Majestic however St George doesn't even open on Sundays! They are very far from me and I know of two reefers who live rather close to both shops, and I am sure they clean out the nicest stocks

I got all my Tunze stuff from Michael of Reefing Life. As a member of the Marine Aquarium Society of Sydney (MASS), I get 10% discount off the retail price and Michael's customer service is 110%. He's helped me through all the whole Nanostream disaster (of the 4 pumps I have, 3 have failed. 2x6045, 2x6025).

The metail halide is an Aquamedic Oceanlight 150. I got it from Chris of Nanotuners. However, I did change the ballast to an OSRAM one, which came from Tim of Advanced Reef Aquariums (another MASS sponsor, and regular at meetings).

Quote:
Originally posted by spy_spy
hey louist!! that's one sweet nano.. real nice. hope you can post shots of your diy reactor. or maybe show us how such a small reactor works.

thanx
Spy_Spy, the only photo I have of this reactor is the one you see in the write up. I wish I have the DIY skill for something like that. It's nothing special in terms of design. It is just an acrylic box with a recirculation pump and holes for CO2 in, water in and water out.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean In A Box
louist-
I'm wondering if you or anyone else on the web knows if I could buy already made external durso's like in your pictures a little earlier in your thread?
Contacted Rich at http://www.dursostandpipes.com/ but he doesn't do externals I guess, said the one in your link must have been made by the thread author. (you!) I didn't realize you made them.
Anyone have more exact details on how to make and materials list, I'd love to try it myself, otherwise looking to buy already done.

Nice job again on your tank and entire setup louist!
Ocean In A Box, I am not sure if you can buy readily made ones. These are easy enough to make though. Considering your skill in your nano-in-the-wall, I am sure you will have no problems. Besides the bulkhead, all you need are these:
1. PVC-T with slip fittings and NPT thread
2. PVC cap for the T
3. PVC pipe for joining stuff together and for the rest of the plumbing, or a hose barb/director if you want to use vinyl hose.

I would give you the part numbers, but I don't think they are relevant for you guys. Take a look at Dural Irrigation's website (www.duralirrigation.com) and they have pictures of all the fittings. I got all mine from there. The ones I used are under LDPE and poly-fittings. They are a.k.a "rual fittings" or "irrigation fittings" here in Australia.
Old 05/08/2007, 09:09 AM
Registered Member

That link above should be:
www.duralirrigation.com.au