Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Notes from the Trenches
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2005, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

male or female?

I posted this thread in a different forum about two weeks ago.
I just read your article and wondered if you know why he changed and could she be attracked to the algae blenny?

color transformation
I added a algae blenny last week. A strange thing happened though.
A yellow watchman goby that I've had for about a year disappeared.The next day he reappeared but looking quite different.

before

after

Was wondering if this normal occurrance?
Old 12/07/2005, 01:12 AM
Dad, mom and nest of eggs

Yes this is normal.

As I stated in the article, what is confusing is that I have seen them change color in both directions so sometimes it is really hard to say what exactly this means.

So how long have you had the fish and how big is it? I will say that once they get a bit larger that I have never seen one go from grey to yellow they always go from yellow to grey if they do change. My guess (about 99% sure) is that you have a female watchman goby. If you want to have a pair, find one that looks yellow in color.

Oh and BTW, I doubt that your watchman goby is going to mating with your algea blenny. My guess (somewhat less than 99% sure) is that the watchman felt threatened by the addition of the blenny. Also the female is the more aggressive/dominant one in a pair. Since your watchman felt threatened by the blenny, it's shift to a more dominant/aggressive roll brought out the woman in it (just a guess)

Amy
Old 12/07/2005, 03:57 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Amy,

Great article! YMG are one of my two three favorite fish and I've been looking for a tank raised pair for years. If you ever have any for sale, please let me know!

Brian
Old 12/07/2005, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.
I'd say she is about 2 1/2" long and I've had her since last December.One of the original fish since the tank was set up.
Funny thing is that I added her because of the striking yellow color.Still a very cool resident.
Old 12/24/2005, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

Hi Amy,

nice article.

what do you feed your adults? i notice you don't have any sand in the rearing tank or the breeding tank. don't they need to sift to get their food? thanks.
Old 12/28/2005, 11:14 PM
Dad, mom and nest of eggs

It is not necessary for them to sift sand for them to get their food, but lately I have wondered if they need some sort of 'ruffage' in their diet to help them digest their food. We feed them a mixture we make up ourselves which is mostly shrimp, some other seafoods, spirulina, vitamins, etc.

Amy