Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Notes from the Trenches
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/01/2005, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

insulation foam

Eric,
Thank you for the info. on the foam aquascape. I wish I would have found it before I searched all over the web. I have been planning on making a foam backdrop ever since I saw the TOTM also. However, I found slightly different information. On another forum site... Someone contacted the makers of Great Stuff and found out that it will break down over time in water, especially with sunlight. It now say's on the can if you are planning on exposing to sunlight to paint it first. The advice given was to coat it with agracrete or my personal choice, fiberglass resin (without any strands of fibergass). It can be painted first with acrylic if desired. I found the resin at a local hardware store. Also recommended is to compose the backdrop on thin sheets of acrylic and assemble in the tank. That way you can construct overflows etc. and cover them also. I think either way is fine, but mine is going into an existing tank that I plan on re-aquascaping. A final method is to buy a large sheet of soft foam and carve it. It creates a great effect esp. for FWT. There is an awesome picture of an angkor wat (god type dude) at aquarium advice http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...ground&start=0
(sorry if I wasn't suppose to post another website..) moderators can remove